Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-08-2001, 02:50 PM   #1
philc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would appreciate help with some installation problems.

Shadows of Amn installed and ran OK.

Throne of Bhaal installation seemed to go OK, but on trying to run the application [by inserting the CD] I got a ‘Software Protection Error’ window asking me to insert the original CD.

After several attempts I uninstalled both SOA and TOB. Now I've got the patch, but I can’t reinstall SOA – on inserting the SOA CD#1 I just get the usual ‘Play/Options etc’ window with no option to Install. [The Play option prompts me to Configure for first use, but if I try to the system hangs.]
Old 10-08-2001, 02:54 PM   #2
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Well, uninstall everything (even the patch). Then first install SoA (best is a full install) then install ToB then configure but DON'T play yet. Then get the ToB patch install that. It should work then, if not check the configuration.
BTW, welcome to the board
------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
I'd be Mirac, mighty mage of er... uhm.. er.. - Mirac Honorguard
Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
Magical advisor of MiLady Lioness

[This message has been edited by Mirac Honorguard (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 04:25 PM   #3
Charlander
Dungeon Master

I had the same problem...

Oh, btw. welcome to the board!

------------------
...and he walked the earth for centuries, slaying creaturs of the underworld...

-Charlander

[This message has been edited by Charlander (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 08:29 PM   #4
Darth Bob
Drow Warrior

Welcome welcome to the board. I installed SoA full install then without a patch ToB, and I still am not using the patch, can someone tell me what it does? Cuz if its not much I'll just not download it as it is most likly somewhat big, and with my 56kanus modem it would take forever.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:59 AM   #5
philc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The trouble is, having uninstalled both SoA & ToB I can't reinstall SoA! The uninstall seemed to go OK - the Black Isle folder's gone from the Program menu & all the files seem to have been deleted, but when I put SoA disc#1 in I get the title page with the option to play/customise etc as if the game's already installed - there is no 'instal' option.

Maybe there's a rogue file somewhere that the uninstall didn't delete which makes the PC think the games's still installed, but how do I find it?
Old 10-09-2001, 06:22 AM   #6
Kezardin
Elminster

philc,

most likely you're going to have to edit the registry

If you've got nortons utilities (or similar) you do it automatically, otherwise your best bet would to check the BG2/TOB 'known issues' page at www.bioware.com - this'll give you detailed directions on what to do.

Kez
Old 10-09-2001, 09:40 AM   #7
Appley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

philc - If I am understanding you correctly you are not getting the "Install" option, just the "play option" correct?

To solve/work around this you DO NOT need to edit registrys or alter anything..What will resolve the issue is this -

Go to My Computer, right click on your CDROM drive, open, double click setup

[This message has been edited by Appley (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 01:43 PM   #8
philc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK- limited progress. By using the SETUP program via Win Explorer I’ve managed to reinstall SoA.

The ToB CR gives me the same problem – PLAY option, no INSTALL option. If I try running the SETUP program on the ToB CD I briefly get the Install Shield Wizard window, but then a window prompting me to confirm that I want to delete ToB altogether. When I cancel this the game exits.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:44 PM   #9
philc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK- limited progress. By using the SETUP program via Win Explorer I’ve managed to reinstall SoA.

The ToB CR gives me the same problem – PLAY option, no INSTALL option. If I try running the SETUP program on the ToB CD I briefly get the Install Shield Wizard window, but then a window prompting me to confirm that I want to delete ToB altogether. When I cancel this the game exits.