Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-01-2001, 11:34 AM   #1
Montravant
Manshoon

Im new to Baldur's Gate and im having a tough time killing the dragon in the Temple Ruins near Umar Hills. Please help this poor newbi.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:40 AM   #2
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

MWAHAHAHAHA! THAT'S THE ONE I KILLED YAY!

OK technically you don't HAVE to fight this one if you got the wardstone. You get this by taking Amuanta's bones and giving them to her disiples. If you just WANT to fight the dragon do this, note you should still have the wardstone so he dosen't notice you:

-Take your lowest level cleric and cast the spell "Magic Resistance" on the dragon. Trust me.

- Cast the spell "Lower Magic Resistance many times after you start attacking. 2 should do it.

*Make sure you cast an assload of defensive spells before fighting this guy*

- For me I just kept baraging him with spells (think 10 magic missiles, 5 acid arrows, 3 flame arrows, 1 magic stone and... What it's not Christmas? Sorry...)

-Then I got lucky, I cast the spell HORROR with my stalker and it worked. The dragon was running away and I could slaughter him at my liesure. If you aren't so lucky just be careful and keep summoning things to distract him.

------------------
"Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings; they did it by killing all those who opposed them."

KFA's official vice president of marketing.

On a righteous quest to destroy all electric resistant teddy bears in Fearun.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:55 AM   #3
Debaser

Quote:
Originally posted by Killing Spree:

-Take your lowest level cleric and cast the spell "Magic Resistance" on the dragon. Trust me.

ahhh, the wonders of BG II loopholes. they should have really caught that little detail...after all, dragons are, what, of supra-genius intelligence?? they wouldn't fall for such a thing, let alone the fact that you cannot use protective/defensive magic on a subject lest he/she is willing, at least in true D&D.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:16 PM   #4
Montravant
Manshoon

Well ty for all ur help im gonna go try the things u have said now and hopefully ill execute it correctly.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:17 PM   #5
Mel
The Magister

The key is to get rid of that pesky magic resistance. There is a mage spell called Lower Resistance that will do the trick. Also I think that the dragon can level drain, about four levels in one go. Be careful and try to keep it away from your mages.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:27 PM   #6
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Actually I think this particular dragon can be mauled pretty easily with melee although lower resistances and spells work great also.

Use a thief to lay some traps around him if you have one

Summon up a mob of critters.

Attack him all at once. if each critter gets a hit in at the start of the fight you can easily get a monster down to half hps.

Immediatly dispell any protection such as stoneskin with a breach and start laying in with the lower resistance and offensive spells taking care to always breach any protective spells (really this is true of any major battle)
Old 10-01-2001, 07:15 PM   #7
Lin Sivvi the Paladin
Dungeon Master

Use cloudkill wands?? Stand from distance and fire away!
Demon vs Dragon?? protection from Evil and summon Gate
Brawl? Get your tuffest fighters and load them with potions
Force attack? Fake talk and slash away
pick your method...
Old 10-01-2001, 07:23 PM   #8
Encard
Quintesson

What level are you? If you're highish level, you can probably just run up with melle guys, cast lower resist a few times with mages, (don't forget summons) and then blast it with spells. Hmm... I can't remember if that dragon's undead, if it is you can use Mace of Disruption +2 (cackle). Hmm... Useful spells (if you're of a level to cast them) might be Finger of Death, Protection From Magical Weapons, Lower Resist, various Elemental summons, hmm... I can't really remember, since I haven't killed it in a while.

------------------
Lord of the RaBid Fruit Trees. ChAos rules all! Bwahahahaha...
:1drgat1: