Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
JOE030303
The Magister

does anyone know how to get this game to work on xp?
JOE030303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, JOE030303. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

The game should run on XP, although I have heard of some minor problems. I believe the workarounds for the problems concerning XP are elaborately dealt with in the "Tech Tips" thread further up the list. The Tech thread is a marvel of a work covering the various problems encountered by Wizards and Warriors players so far.

Try playing the game, and refer to the thread if problems arise. If you encounter a problem not covered in the thread then do post it to the forum and I am sure our top techies will help you out in a jiffy.

And do keep us posted on your progress. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
JOE030303
The Magister

thaks a lot for the reply but i cant even get the game to load after installing
Old 11-29-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE030303:
thaks a lot for the reply but i cant even get the game to load after installing
OK I don't know if this holds true for Windows XP but when installing on Windows 2000 you don't get any shortcuts at all. You need to create it yourself. The file you are looking for is called 'deep6.exe'. Have you tried that? If not I suggest you either create a short cut or double click the file in explorer.

If you have tried that we need your system specifications. The more the better. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And welcome to the boards! [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
JOE030303
The Magister

yes i was aware of that
for my specs see wizardry bugs 225 in that forum
thanks
joe
Old 11-29-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay... for those scratching their heads, you can find the post Joe030303 referenced above here. Joe, for future reference, you can make it lots easier on us by giving us a link to where the post is.

Quick mini-tutorial: to include a link in your post, include the following text:

<*a href="URL HERE">phrase to click on<*/a>

Just take out the asterisks in those first two tags, insert the URL where it goes, pick your phrase to click on, and you're ready to go. I usually copy the URL when I'm viewing the page, and then paste it. That's much easier than typing something like

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=15;t=003607

which I just saw that the board turned into a link. Amazing stuff!! I learned something today!

Anyway, I'm going to post this and then read, to see if I can add anything.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, in addition to what's in that link...

... what's your DirectX version? Run dxdiag to find out (start, run, dxdiag)

... have you followed the steps and items listed in the Tech Tips thread regarding Windows XP? Those are things we've identified that have to be done, including...

... the virtualdub thing?

... the Win95 compatibility mode thing?

... the "nothing that you don't really need running" thing?

Your exact video driver versions may matter... Willow will certainly have some thoughts on that. Also, are you trying to run in hardware mode, software mode, and at what resolution?

And dang it all, to get down to the basics, what exactly is the problem you're having? Be as specific as possible (I go to the menu and try to run, this is what I click on, this is what happens, etc.).

The more detail you can give us, the quicker we can get you out saving the Gael Serran!
-+-+-+
Old 11-30-2003, 07:21 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Quick mini-tutorial: to include a link in your post, include the following text:

<*a href="URL HERE">phrase to click on<*/a>

To add I would like to see the following addition to Bungleau's little post. It may not be much but it helps when you are trying to read two threads at the same time.
code:
<a href="URL" target=blank>phrase</a> 
or simply use UBB code: Phrase goes here
[/QUOTE]The link will now open in a new window allowing one to read both threads at the same time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And as Bungleau said we need more information. I would also like additional information about "i cant even get the game to load after installing". What happens exactly?

[ 12-03-2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:57 AM   #9
So So
Zhentarim Guard

I'm not much of a techie, but I have Windows XP (both home and professional) and W&W ran fine on both...In order to help we need more information like your processor, its speed, your RAM, etc.

Also you could try right clicking on Deep6.exe and going to program compatibility and making it run capable with Windows 95 which is what kept my game from crashing even in the Kerah battle...
Old 12-01-2003, 12:08 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hey, Wyv... if you happen to wander in here, can you spot the post with the extra width and trim it down? I suspect it's Willow's code example in her post... breaking it into two lines would make the page easily readable again [img]smile.gif[/img]

TIA... OMN...

So Joe030303.... the ball's in your court. Tell us exactly what you've done and tried, and I'll bet you dinner we can get you playing. We haven't been stumped yet...
-+-+-+