Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Mellagar

Well its been a long time coming, but its finally happened. To be short, I have been working on a series of books, none to grand, but worth the work I put into them. I created world maps, character portraits, songs, seasons, eras, detailed plots, cities, towns, languages, and so forth. Well. It seems fate would have its last laugh against me and about a month or so ago my hard drive failed and perhaps has gone the way of all things fair. Which leaves six years worth of work lost, but not forgotten as it still lingers in my mind. My old computer was a 500mhz amd with 390 some megs of ram, a 16 meg diamond viper video card, with a 15" monitor (updated awhile back to a 17"). Now all has been made wonderful with the lastest part, the brain of my creation, a 2400+ 2.1 gig athlon processor with over 500 megs (would have been over 600 but someone wanted one of the memory sticks) or ram, and a recently updated 64 meg GeForce II video card. Although to some of you this is not all THAT grand, to me.....it is monster of power! I could land very very small satellites with this beast, instead of remote control cars! However, one test still remains.........has the hard drive completely died, or is it in a coma, capable of being resuscitated? If so, then all my goods are safe and can be extracted, and if not....then I am going to trebuchet my poor hard drive into a wall. Twice. Maybe three. Maybe ten. Maybe until I've broken it into many many many pieces. Then step on the pieces. Then go sleep for awhile.
Mellagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yikes, that's a lot of work to lose! Uh...I guess it goes without saying that you didn't have any backups of your work.... ouch!

Hope you can retrieve some of it, but enjoy your new machine anyway!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

If it doesn't work, you could try manual burning. small pieces are nasty if you step on them.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

And if it's important enough to you, there are companies that can retrieve data even from dead hard drives. So don't consider it toast yet...

I might try it in your new machine as a second hard drive and see if you can access anything. You might be able to retrieve something, or maybe do an fdisk on it to see what's up. Note that if you start going to the fdisk level, you can completely erase the drive if you're not paying attention... you've been warned [img]smile.gif[/img]

But congrats on the new machine! It always feels great to take a step forward
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Yeah, as Bungleau said, there is ways to get the data back, it's just gona cost you. Although I'd say 6 years of work would be worth any price; for me anyway. Trying it in your new computer might be a good idea, but just watch you don't do any more damage. I remember when I got an Athlon 2400, the joy! It now lives a lowly existence, of third machine; although it is a great little net pc. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

total ouch man,real sorry,that wooul really suck.
good thing it didnt happen to me.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

When you say 'died' what exactly do you mean? You can recover data even after a format relatively easily with free programmes off the net. If it's a more physical problem though twill be expensive.

[ 04-29-2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:30 AM   #8
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

is your story like the lord of the rings or world of warcraft online? maybe it could be a game with high graphics and no lag *drools with excitement*.
if it is going to be a game, i wanna be a tough strong warrior! [img]smile.gif[/img]

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote