Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 01-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I've been thinking about some character combinations, but I'm unsure what to use...

I'm considering either playing

A Rogue/Assassin/Shadowdancer,

OR

A Ranger/Assassin/Weaponsmaster

Or even a combination of the two.

A bard/Shadowdancer(or assassin)/Arcane Archer might be nice too, but... I don't think I want to use that one just yet. Maybe next game .

I do realise that the second combination (Ranger/assassin/WM) would take a long, long time to reach, but that's okay as it gives me plenty of assassin and ranger levels... so thoughts, anyone?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I would make a combo of your two suggestions.

Rogue/Assassin/Weapon master.

Something like 20 Rogue/13 Assassin/7 Weapon Master.

It would give you heaps of skills, an ok BAB (if you take the levels in a multiple of 4 before level 20 eg 12 rogue/8 Weapon Master) and then take your assassin levels after level 20.

[ 01-22-2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Hmm... I did consider that, actually, and I was trying to get that way for a while, but... *ponders* is a level 20 rogue that much better then a level 20 ranger? With the assassin, I get all the thief skills (other then persuade), like open lock, disable trap and so on and so forth, and a fairly decent-ish skill points at each level up. The ranger has more HP and bab though. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I realise I sound like an Illithid asking for thoughts like that in the title [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

If you want to make the most out of the assassin class, you'll either need invisibility spells or a good Hide/Move Silently.
The Rogue and Assassin classes are all about sneak attacks.
The Shadowdancer class allows you to maximise your Hide and Move Silently skills, so you'll get many sneak attacks indeed, and get the most out of the Rogue and Assassin classes. It's a powerful combination if done right.

The Weapon Master class is all about Critical Hits. To make the most of that, your weapon of choice is important, as is your base attack. You'll also need a good number of feats. Because of that, the Fighter class is a good candidate to start out with, as it will let you take WM levels very early on. Alternatively you'll want to make use of the Devestating Critical feat, in which case a Bard/RDD/WM is the way to go for the +8 bonus to strength it gets you.
You can of course take the class for the coolness or rp too, in which case none of the above should be an issue whatsoever.

All in all, critical hits are more powerful than sneak attacks. The sneaks do more damage eventually, but you'll not get as many of them. Also, enemies that are immune to sneak attacks can still suffer critical hits, whereas enemies immune to critical hits are also immune to sneak attacks.

You'll find a good number of those kind of foes so it's a good idea to have a back-up tactic or two. Like traps, or a respectable combat ability.

In any event, I'd not combine the two. Weaponmaster + Ranger is better than Weapon Master + Rogue. The Shadowdancer does work with Ranger, but you miss out on some Sneak Attack bonusses which are very useful indeed.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the SD class and a hater of Truesight and Palemasters [img]smile.gif[/img]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I agree that True Sight is evil. I did try out a Sorcerer/Pale Master/Blackguard combination once, but didn't much care for it... I can't hold an evil alignment to save my character's life . But that aside, hmm... I'll give thought to what you say, although, I will say that the WM is a long term thing, rather then a quick-easy to get one. Otherwise I'd have just gone for fighter . But that's kinda boring.

But back to the subject of sneak-attack, or critical hits... I'd rather go for Critical hits, namely, because of what you've said, and well, I find far too many enemies immune to sneak attack, which is bloody annoying -- or not so bloody as the case may be .

As to a weapon of choice, I prefer a katana - I know that a rapier's supposed to be better, but, a katana does 1d10 damage, over the rapiers 1d6, and frankly, it suits the character far more to have a katana then a rapier.

Hmm... I do like the ranger/assassin combination though far more then the rogue assassin... (especially if I get a chance to switch my alignment back to "good"). What skills would you recormend for a said character? (that is, ranger/assassin/wm(or sd))

---

And on another question altogether, in HotU, all my items are striped - including the ones from the original NWN campagin - specially, the hencemen tokens. Is there a way to keep them so that these wonderful people will recognise me as the "Hero of Neverwinter"? (Or at least one of them)
"Hey, I know you... didn't we romance?"
Old 01-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Just bumping as I also am thinking about a character... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:06 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It seems that every one overlooked the bard/assassin/arcane archer you mentioned, and I say go for it, and do it first...I have played one, and she rocked. Not only was she a potent char build, but her role play value was immense, and she had great success in Z's mod while it was still local vault. I have since lost the computer that had her stats on it, but I do remember that she did not miss very often, and that because of the way I played her, reluctantly evil, former slave of the drow, she was tons of fun in the well. All in all, this is one of my favorite class combos.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote