Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-29-2001, 07:19 AM   #11
The Drunken Monkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hearing his voice conjurers (sp) the image of the photo guy in omen who gets his head removed by the sheet of glass - it may not be him, but he looks facially like the guys who does the voice over for irenicus. I can picture him in tron and others - not sure if it is the same guys though, becasue i watched omen years ago.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:25 AM   #12
The Drunken Monkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ive just got to add that i think the level of the actingvoice overs in BGII is superb - especially irenicus - the only one thats lets it down is the appalling imoen voice - a bit too american - now ive nothing against american accents, its just most of the game is spoken with an english accent and being english myself, i became used to it - so it just clashs a bit with the other voices.

Please dont reply that im being anti- american - im not, and i know that mincs and Jaheria do have european accents......
Old 11-29-2001, 07:30 AM   #13
Whailor

Yeah, in a way it's true about the Imoen accent. The game as such "feels" ancient, in some old old time and then this Imoen comes out and speaks in the dang 'modern' language heheh.. American, not american, who cares. Her spelling felt 'out of the world' in BG

Take in the first dungeon, the Irenicus dungeon: "I cannot believe that this room belongs to the same person who owns those horrible glass-containers" - dang, how she spells it, especally the 'glass-containers' part.

I am from Europe, but not from UK. So I aint speaking from that point of view. Simply the Imoen's spelling sure is too "modern" for the game setting. IMO.

I aint telling though that the Jaheira and Minsc have the 'european' accents either. Heck there's no such country in BG Let's just say that their accents are the accents of those who may not speak the 'common', human language as their main language.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:57 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

Whailor, don't you mean pronunciation rather than spelling?

I believe the actor that does Jon Irencius is named David Warner.

I agree about Imoen's accent, it's a bit too 'all American girl' for my taste, but then again, Jaheira and Minsc have quite weird accents as well, so I don't see how their pronunciation should be more fitting in a medieval setting than Imoen's.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:56 AM   #15
Kaleban
Manshoon

That's right, it was Malcolm McDowell as Tolwyn in the Wing Commander movie. He's a very good actor, and his voice "power" (projection, resonance, etc.) is reminiscent of how James Earl Jones' voice affects people.

Are you aure it wasn't McDowell? Perhaps, being a well-known actor, he didn't want his name on the credits for some reason (avoiding stigma of VO in Hollywoood for example), or perhaps used a "pen name" on the credits...?

The voice of Irenicus sounds almost like an exact match, that if it truly is not him, I would like to see the two actors in a heated debate... hehe if you closed your eyes and just listened it would sound like someone was arguing with themself.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:19 AM   #16
Whailor

Yes, I am sure it isn't Malcolm McDowell. How would I put it..

Let's say that their voices are different, the voice used by "Irenicus" actor is somewhat more 'deep' [img]smile.gif[/img] McDowell's voide is tad more 'sound' or 'brighter'. Hard to explain, but when you listen to both, you will hear what I mean [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes Melusine, pronouncing. Word here or there, bleh I can probably bet that when I or you Melusine or someone else from these boards, who are from Europe (not UK) would speak in english, we would sound just like Jaheira and Minsc with our accents heheh.. We may speak and pronounce it well and correctly, but we still have the accents because we do not speak english in our everyday life. That's what I mean by Jaheira and Minsc accents - it's not 'european' as such, it's simply the accent of a person who is speaking in a language which is not his/her main language.

Just to add, Malcolm McDowell was also the Admiral Tolwyn in the Wing Commander games, so it was good that he was chosen for the movie as well. Though I didn't go to watch the movie, as I had no time and wasn't sure that it actually focussed on the theme, around what the games were built. And as I heard, it didn't, not to the expected extent. Melusine is probably correct about the Irenicus cast, I think it was David Warner as well, at least the name somewhat rings the bell. I can check it later, just for the personal satisfaction
Old 11-29-2001, 09:36 AM   #17
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

I'm positive that Irenicus' voice is David Warner.

If you want to compare Warner's voice to McDowell's, I suggest renting a movie called 'Time After Time.' It's about HG Wells (McDowell) tracking down Jack the Ripper (Warner) in 1980 San Francisco.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:45 AM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor:
Yes, I am sure it isn't Malcolm McDowell. How would I put it..

I can probably bet that when I or you Melusine or someone else from these boards, who are from Europe (not UK) would speak in english, we would sound just like Jaheira and Minsc with our accents heheh

That's a bet you'd lose then, because as a student of English I'm required to have near-native speaking pronunciation [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Purely theoretically speaking, of course...
But I'd definitely not sound like Jaheira...*shudder*

But I'm only teasing, I know what you meant [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 11:53 AM   #19
Campino

I think the people who don't have english as their native language here are doing a good job in expressing themselves.I sometimes have difficulty trying to find the right words,too.But english is the native language on this forum,so we'll just have to try our best.

BTW,whailor,i'd loooooove to hear you speak dutch just once [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 12:00 PM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Campino:
I think the people who don't have english as their native language here are doing a good job in expressing themselves.I sometimes have difficulty trying to find the right words,too.But english is the native language on this forum,so we'll just have to try our best.

BTW,whailor,i'd loooooove to hear you speak dutch just once [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Heh

You're making a good point though; a lot of the non-native speakers here do a great job at expressing themselves in a language not their first. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]