Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hi guys, this is a message on behalf of one of my work colleagues, who is having some problems trying to capture video on his new PC. Details are below, if anyone can offer any insight it would be appreciated! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Quote:
I have a problem in capturing video footage on my computer system. I have just bought an Athlon 1800 system that has 80gig hard drive and 512Meg RAM, amongst other specs. I’m running Windows XP Professional. A firewire card was also installed into the system, and appears to be recognised/installed when I look at the hardware/device manager in XP. My digital video camera is a Panasonic NV-DS11 (which is reasonably old, but works OK). I have tried using my firewire cable, attaching this to my video camera and one of the computer’s USB ports.
I have a few video editing packages installed - Adobe Premier 6.0, Windows Media Player, PrestoWorks 4.0 (?) and ULead’s software, and none work. The message I keep getting from each application is that ‘no device is connected to the computer.’ How do I fix this issue?
I have a feeling this might be a driver issue - but apparently the Panasonic guys are claiming that no driver is required, which is BS in my opinion. What do you all think?

[ 09-25-2002, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 09-20-2002, 05:24 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Well he shouldn´t need a camera driver. All that´s needed is a driver for the firewire card if he uses the firewire card! If he wants to capture through USB then he needs a camera driver! Did that help some? Here´s some more info Oh, and the USB hubs are working right?

[ 09-20-2002, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 09-20-2002, 05:32 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You need usually drivers for the camera, the firewire into the program sort of a Twain option like scanners to recognize the camera unless it works like an extra harddrive, which I don´t think.

Sounds like the problem can be the firewire as well.
Make sure you try to connect the camera and do a restart once, if the camera is then listed on the firewire port, you will know that the programs need something else.

Also check the help in the Premiere program, they usually have extensive help files in their programs.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 09-20-2002, 06:00 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I have tried using my firewire cable, attaching this to my video camera and one of the computer’s USB ports.
One of the firewire ports, surely. Firewire and USB were seperate standards last I checked.

Other than that, try getting a known good device and plugging it into the relevant port, see if that works.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:59 AM   #5
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

He could also try a "Dazzle" box. I dont know if you have them there , Mem, but here it is a small box with 3 inputs and 1 output to the computers video card. My parents have one and they can put movies from the VCR as well as movies from their camera into the comp with it.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just a quick note from my mate to say thanks for all the results, he will give some of these a go tonight and see how he goes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2002, 02:47 PM   #7
MagiK

Is this still an ongoing issue? I have an Intel 2.2ghz system that I hook my VCR up to via a digitizer and firewire and the only driver I need is the one for the firewire card. I fire up the software...I think it is ulead, and select source as DV and it sucks data thru the firewire port no problems.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:35 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think it is...my friend was going to give some of these ideas a go and I haven't heard back from him yet...