Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-03-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
Andrew Mcveigh
Drow Warrior

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
~
~
~
~
~
I'm working for Mae'vars shadow thieves, and he made me go talk to Edwin. This evil man told me to go kill a cowled wizard (i forget the name) well i've gone there and gotten past all his monsters that are protecting him. but now i can't seem to kill the wizard himself!!! i got close one time but aerie was killed. any tips on how to kill the cowled wizard???
Old 12-04-2002, 12:01 AM   #2
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

If you look at the protective spells he puts up, you'll find he has one glaring weakness - hit him with non-magical melee weapons. He'll pop like a balloon once you get past his Stoneskin.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:02 AM   #3
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

I would be glad to give you some ideas but first let me know who you have at your disposal. It wouldn't do you any good if I told you how I beat him with my character if you don't have the same type in your party. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 01:27 AM   #4
Andrew Mcveigh
Drow Warrior

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
~
~
~
~
sorry, guess i didn't think about that!

my character is a thief, and i have jaheira, aerie, minsc, and (oh my god i must be tired, i can't think of his name..!!! [img]redface.gif[/img] ) the thief that turns on you later on. what is his name??? argh!!! hold on, i can get this... YOSHIMO!!!

that was sad!

ok, summary... me (thief), yoshimo, jaheira, minsc, aerie.

(as you can tell, i have no idea what i'm doing! so please help!!!)

[ 12-04-2002, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Mcveigh ]
Old 12-04-2002, 01:29 AM   #5
Andrew Mcveigh
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:
If you look at the protective spells he puts up, you'll find he has one glaring weakness - hit him with non-magical melee weapons. He'll pop like a balloon once you get past his Stoneskin.
i have another question, if the weapon is a +1 or +2, does that count as magical?
Old 12-04-2002, 01:37 AM   #6
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

+anything is magical, unless it specifically says specifically says it isn't
Old 12-04-2002, 01:42 AM   #7
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Mcveigh:
quote:
Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:
i have another question, if the weapon is a +1 or +2, does that count as magical?[/QUOTE]Yes it does count as magical. For non-magical you need just a plain old 2 gold piece sword or whatever. I've never tried using a non magical weapon like Desuma suggested. That may be your easiest route but if you don't want to do that I would dispel whatever illusions he uses(mirror images, etc.) with Aerie, if she knows a detect illusion, true seeing or something. If you do that you can cast summon insects with Jaheira and that will eat up his stoneskin and interupt his spell casting after that. I usually spread out if I have a party because he casts a confusion or something, so if you have someone protected from that keep them the closest. If Aerie can breach him next do that and whack away with minsc, Yosh and yourself. Acid arrows are handy against some mages because even if the arrow doesn't penetrate a stoneskin the acid does, unless of course they have a protection from acid cast.
I hope some of this helps you.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:42 AM   #8
Andrew Mcveigh
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelousss:
+anything is magical, unless it specifically says specifically says it isn't
good to know... thanks, i think i can beat this guy now. all of my characters had magical weapons which probably explains why they got the snot kicked out of them!
Old 12-04-2002, 01:54 AM   #9
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

It's always a good idea to keep a few non-magical melee weapons in your inventory. Remember, a mage can't have both Protection from Magical Weapons & Protection from Non-magical Weapons up at the same time.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:06 AM   #10
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBobTheDestoyer:
Acid arrows are handy against some mages because even if the arrow doesn't penetrate a stoneskin the acid does, unless of course they have a protection from acid cast.
I hope some of this helps you.
The acid arrows won't work in this situation because he puts up a Protection from Normal Missiles. Just put up Resist Fear on the party beforehand (I think he also casts Horror), wade in with normal weapons, and have Aerie cast Breach on him (if she has the spell) to knock down his Stoneskin. It might be a good idea to have Jaheira put up a Flame Blade spell beforehand, as the blade does not count as magical, yet the elemental damage it does should get through Stoneskin.