Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-18-2001, 06:23 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

why use dart to fizzle spells? magic missile/acid arrow worsk just as well - and are more accurate. i suppose you might run out, but i have three mages.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:44 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
why use dart to fizzle spells? magic missile/acid arrow worsk just as well - and are more accurate. i suppose you might run out, but i have three mages.

Because a lot of creatures have magic resistance. I'm talking about TOB specifically, but also in BG2, if a mage has cast a Spell Trap or Deflection Spell, you will have to dispel that first. Also, if you use darts of wounding, the damage will continue over a period of time (poison), making spellcasting very difficult, and a dart of stunning is effective for much longer as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2001, 12:49 AM   #13
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Darts of Wounding: Deals poison damage at a rate of 1 per second. Enemy can only prevent it by saving against poison. It is very nasty against Mages and Trolls. My Mages use them frequently, and also, you always throw Darts at 3 attacks per round, so if you feel using spells is not necessary, you can use your Mages to bombard the enemy with Darts. Also, if you cast Greater Malison + Emotion beforehand, you not only lower their poison saving throws, but you receive a 100% chance to hit the enemy( because they are unconsicious, same as stun too). Note also that the poison bypasses Stoneskins, really good that.

You can also torture Goblins by hitting them once and watch them slowly die in agony... or is that too sadistic for your taste?

ToB Item Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Staff of the Ram +6

15% chance target is knocked back and stunned with each hit.

+6 THACO bonus

Damage: 1D6 + 12 crushing + 4 piercing

That is a minimum of 17 base damage! And maximum 22 base damage. If you grandmaster in Quarterstaffs, maximise Two-Handed Weapon Style and add STR bonuses... ... *drools*

Land of the Psycho-moe