Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Hello hello, I have a question for you all. I'm going in to my twelfth and final year of high school, and in a couple of years I'll probably need to be applying to universities. However, I have no freakin' idea what I'm doing, so, I'm looking for some guidance here!
My options are limited, I think, to universities in Canada and colleges in the United States (although it would be supremely great to go to school in Europe or Australia, wishful thinking, though) and I'm looking for a good school or program that might be good for me, a student interested in the social sciences; specifically but not limited to philosophy, religion and history.
I really have no other idea about what I'm doing or what to look for soo any help is much appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]
Kynaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

BYU-Hawaii!
You're at school and vacation at the same time! Besides, Brigham Young Uni. is a high-ranking institution.

Quote:
BYU-Hawai'i is a four-year undergraduate institution that educates 2,400 students each year from 70 countries in Asia, the Pacific, the U.S. and other parts of the world. Among universities that exclusively offer bachelor degrees, U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks BYU-Hawai'i among the best in the western United States.
http://www.byuh.edu/
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

u of michigan, in ann arbor, definitely go there

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Kynaeus:
...me, a student interested in the social sciences; specifically but not limited to philosophy, religion and history.
Repeat after me:

Would you like fries with that?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Those fields are pretty broad. Can you name specific areas in them that catch your interest? Based on just that info have you considered teaching? Archeology? The priesthood? Don't feel like you have to pick a career now & be stuck with it the rest of your life. The first couple years of college will be mostly general subjects that could apply to any major. Try to think of someone in your area who has a job that you think you'd like to do and ask them if you can interview them. Most people would be flattered you asked, and they can tell you the benefits & drawbacks of that career, as well as what you need to do to prepare for it.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Teaching is a possibility for philosophy or religion, and sorry. When I said I was interested in religion, I meant that I am interested in learning about the world's religions, their cultural impact and significance, mythos etc.
A history teacher could also be a possibility, I suppose, I hadn't really thought about a career in teaching before you brought it up, VR. Just browsing over some fields and such on Wikipedia and I'm liking intellectual and social history as well as futurology.
Regarding philosophy, I'm interested in epistemology, ethics, metaphysics, the philosophies of history, the mind, psychology, etc. Haha, I just wrote that and realized how utterfuly unhelpful it was.
Getting late and and can't think of anything else to say, thanks for all the feedback so far, guys! I've been looking at the Hawaiian university you posted, Larry, and it looks awesome! Just expensive as hell...
Old 07-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

My last reply was thrown when we changed servers so I'll put this back up here, I'm too tired to fill in any gaps or change too much more. It should be noted I started going back and looking at different programs because I'd rather take something social development studies or social work compared to sociology, yeah.
Thanks for all the help to everybody, and Larry I think I'm going to pass on BYUH because I've been looking at it and its a Mormon university. Not that I have something against Mormon's, I just don't really want to attend a secular university that would force me to study something I have no interest in, especially if it pertains to religion.
and a legend would help... first I wrote the school, then the potential degree (bachelor of arts / social work), POTENTIAL MAJOR and then the potential minor(s), I tried to keep it vaguely in this form so it would be easier to read.

University of British Columbia - BA SOCIOLOGY philosophypsychologyhistory / BA Social Work and Family Studies philopsychhistory
University of Northern B.C. - BSW ?? ?? / BA INTERNATIONAL STUDIES philosophy
University of Victoria (B.C.) - BSW (Honors?) ?
University of Hawaii @ Manoa - BSW SOCIAL WORK philosophy
University of Michigan - BA
University of Waterloo - BA (Honors?) SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT STUDIES philo/psych/international studies

Edit: From the way I'm looking at courses and things, the way I see it is that I have two or three paths:
1) I can get a Bachelor's of Social Work and do more person-to-person help, going out to different communities, building schools & orphanages and the like or just being a case/social worker and helping families.
2) I can get a Bachelor of Arts with international studies, political science or something else and work for the government or otherwise to help implement more widespread social change.

[ 07-28-2007, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Kynaeus ]
Old 07-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Not sure if you read my post... but I just said that I go to UBC, and think it's a brilliant university. A beautiful campus, and everyone's really friendly. Really large campus (and university) though... Second largest campus in North America (the world?), beaten only by Yale I think, and 40,000 undergraduates. Personally I love this, but I guess some people may want a smaller university.

Also, with regards to UBC, I know that in the Arts program, you only choose your major in the third year, so you can spend at least the first year sampling courses to try and get a feel for what you want to do.

And if you are Canadian, you'll find Canadian universities are a LOT cheaper than American universities. They are anyway, but even more so for Canadian citizens.

Hope that helps... And maybe I'll see you at UBC in a couple of years
Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Yeah, it seemed like a really great place to go to school, plus I have a real hankering to go to BC and stay awhile. I'll probably end up coming there =)

What's the likelihood/possibility (I can't think of what word to use here) of me going to university abroad? It would be easiest to go to UBC or another Canadian uni, but I was also looking at universities in Pennsylvania and Hawaii and Australia/NZ. Would my money/education/time be better spent staying nationally or otherwise?
I know going to an American school would be most difficult, since they're all privately owned and much more expensive, but just looking at the AustraliaU tuition is roughly $2500 American for one year (From what I gathered), but there is also the question of room & board after leaving first-year residence.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Well going to university in a completely different country is a great experience, but it will be more expensive.

However, I'm not sure that you're correct about all American universities being privately owned... I'm fairly certain that there are public universities... which will presumably be quite a bit cheaper.

As for room and board... you'll have to pay for that wherever you go, unless you live at home... and first year residence may not be any cheaper than finding your own accomodation... just easier.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

American Unis are a mix of private and public. Religious ones are typically private, and "State" (U of Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.) ones are usually public.

$2500 sounds like a *very* reasonable tuition level... my undergrad (U of Detroit, private Jesuit school) was $250/credit back then, and probably more now. U of M was around $450/credit... that $2500 would get you 1-2 courses, not 1-2 semesters!

An old girlfriend started off at Lansing Community College instead of a full four year uni. She only paid $17/credit... what I paid for one course would cover her for a year! Other schools are less expensive as well, but you need to remember the difference between an investment and an expense. An Investment (like tuition) provides a return (earnings potential, job, career, etc.). An expense is gone shortly thereafter (room, board, etc.). Make sure you invest your money wisely...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote