Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

http://www.protestwarrior.com/

Anyone heard of these guys? Opinions on them?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

"Anti-war protestor" protestors?

Never heard of them, but they seem pretty partisan to me, not much different from the guys they're protesting against.

[ 04-01-2006, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 04-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

Then they've done their job Stratos: they've set the terms of the discourse by making the war(s) into a liberal-conservative dividing line. This benefits conservative politicians in the light of an unpopular war - particularly given the upcoming elections. (If that were true, the president would have much more support in that area among conservatives).

If true, this does what effective politics do in this country - it calls on or redefines personal identity rather than careful consideration of an issue - and it's generally in the subtext. They're saying "Conservatives like the war" without creating that particular soundbite.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Hmm...doesn't their opening paragraph basically imply that no-one on the right has any brains? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I dislike their kind of rabid frothing-at-the-mouth "patriotism" as I detest the monotonic "America is the bad guy" detractors we have.

Both group really need to disappear.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
However, their self-righteous messages go silent quickly when the truth of history and reality is thrown back in their face.
Some minor points:
  • Can someone please explain to me how war ended communism, especially in Cuba, China and North Korea?
  • Weren't communists in large part responsible for the downfall of those Nazis?
  • In a "free" society aren't people free to be of any political view? Such as, just as an example, communism?
I wish that I had the luxury of being able to view the entire world in black and white terms: it would make things so much simpler.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
I dislike their kind of rabid frothing-at-the-mouth "patriotism" as I detest the monotonic "America is the bad guy" detractors we have.

Both group really need to disappear.
Yes, that would be nice for a change.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
quote:
However, their self-righteous messages go silent quickly when the truth of history and reality is thrown back in their face.
Some minor points:
  • Can someone please explain to me how war ended communism, especially in Cuba, China and North Korea?
  • Weren't communists in large part responsible for the downfall of those Nazis?
  • In a "free" society aren't people free to be of any political view? Such as, just as an example, communism?
I wish that I had the luxury of being able to view the entire world in black and white terms: it would make things so much simpler.
[/QUOTE]Does the Cold War qualify as a war in the same sense as the guys at ProtestWarrior uses the term?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Does the Cold War qualify as a war in the same sense as the guys at ProtestWarrior uses the term?
No the Cold War simply caused Global Warming. Now "The War against Global Warming", that would be a war worth strarting the day before a hosepipe ban is introduced in the south of England!
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote