Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2001, 07:13 AM   #1
imperial dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What the subject says. Yesterday I was reminded of him and now I am curious whether anyone on this board knows this guy or his work.
He's Germany's most popular fantasy writer (don't ask me why, he's not the best by far), full name Wolfgang Hohlbein.
If you know him you know the average quality of german fantasy and why I stick to anglo-american fantasy.
If you don't know him, don't blame yourself, he's not really worth recognizing imo

------------------
reality is for those not smart enough to see the truth!!!!!
imperial dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 09:50 AM   #2
dominions
Elminster

Sorry, haven't heared of him. Although from what you're saying, I'm not missing much.

Which author do you prefer, fantasy-wise?

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 01:17 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by imperial dwarf:
What the subject says. Yesterday I was reminded of him and now I am curious whether anyone on this board knows this guy or his work.
He's Germany's most popular fantasy writer (don't ask me why, he's not the best by far), full name Wolfgang Hohlbein.
If you know him you know the average quality of german fantasy and why I stick to anglo-american fantasy.
If you don't know him, don't blame yourself, he's not really worth recognizing imo

Don't know him, but this book - The Stone and The Flute by Hans Bemmann is well worth checking out

------------------
Regards

<marquee direction=left scrollamount=7> </marquee>

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 08-15-2001).]
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 04:37 AM   #4
imperial dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well okay, shoudn't be surprised noone knows him, and thankful too.

Well, dominions couldn't say exactly which one, because I'm reading nearly everything (besides mentioned german author and Terry Brooks). I would daresay Moorcock's pretty good, Elric truly rocked, and of course the grand master of intelligent sf, Frank Herbert. All other authors I know are good too, but they lack this inspirative thing which gives you new ideas and mental tracks to follow. Frank Herbert's Dune series totally changed my view on government and power.
Wow, Mouse, now that's one I don't know of. Have to check it, maybe it even changes my opinion.

------------------
Old 08-16-2001, 11:17 AM   #5
dominions
Elminster

Frank Herbert... I've read the first Dune novel (seeing the film for the pile of [bleep] that was), but was advised by several people to avoid the later ones as the quality went down sharply.

Is this true?

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 11:05 AM   #6
imperial dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why, no, who the heck keeps on telling this?
Read the same opinion somewhere before already, can't remember...
They get deeper, that's what they do.
The amount of fast paced action decreases a bit, agreed, but they get so much more deeper. Herbert really goes into analysis of history, politics and psychology, at least when compared to any other sf novel.
But in no way boring, I assure you. There might be parts not so interesting but overall it's still gripping. And there are literally hundreds of interesting aspects in there. As I said, it changed my opinion on quite a few things (I was 16 when I read them first so if you're older you may have already had the same thoughts about certain things).
And the scope is astonishing, more than 5000 years between the first book and the last. I doubt you'll find anything similiar anywhere in sf literature.
You should go and read them. If you don't like them and really estimate them as a waste of time (very unlikely), I'll be waiting here ready for flaming.
But remember everything said here imo

------------------