Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Have you had trouble with dentists? Had a bad experience before? What types of work have you had done?

I'll reply tomorrow about my upcoming next dental experience, too late to type about it now atm. But misery loves company, so anyone who wants to whine, or encourage me, either way, all will be appreciated LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-21-2003, 10:20 PM   #2
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I've had to have a lot of dental things. Fillings,cleanings(Well everyone gets those),sealers(Or something like that), and even part of a chipped tooth raplaced. It SUCKED having a chipped tooth. Couldn't eat ice cream, couldn't chew on my mouth piece(When i was playing football(american)). It happened when one of my dads friends was chasing me and throwing ice at me. We were messing around. I hurried to get in the car and opened the door and WHAM! Hit it right on my tooth. I didn't notice it at first until I saw the white bits on the ground and in my hands. Now I'm more careful and have made brushing my teeth a healthy habit.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 05-21-2003, 10:23 PM   #3
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Not me but my mum's friend had a terrible time.
When for a filling, it wasn't put in right got infected but the doc only drained the wound all THREE times she when it for it. She ended up going to another dentist and found out the the infection had started to eat away her jaw bone, gave her a one week course of durgs to get rid of it but she lost the tooth.

Get this the new doc said that the only reason that her old doc is still working is because they can get rid of him until he kills someone.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:33 AM   #4
Lil Lil

When I was about 11, a neighborhood kid who was pushing a toddler around on a go-cart, told the kid to steer into me when I was riding my bicycle by and the little kid, not knowing any better did...I flew over the handle bars and the go-cart and landed in the street but I had just gotten a brace taken off of a broken collarbone and had no strength to keep my face from hitting the street...I landed chin first and smashed all but eight of my teeth into my gums...it took the dentist about three months to pull out all of the splinters and rebuild my first molars but he was great, I never felt any pain. They were all baby teeth so I did soon get the natural replacements for them all lol.

When I was twelve, a friend's cousin whacked a croquet ball into my face and broke a small piece out of each of my two top front teeth...I was one of the first people in this country to have my teeth bonded and the original bonding that the dentist used was still attached and still in its original condidtion when they were knocked only out a few years ago by my ex for not giving him my grocery money so that he could buy drugs (which is why he is my ex ).

After losing my front teeth and having already (eventually) lost the four first molars that had been rebuilt when I was a kid...and on top of having cracked roots in about a half dozen of my teeth in one side of my mouth after an auto accident, I went for dentures, getting all of my teeth (but for the two front ones and the four first molars) pulled in two sessions with only Novocaine and aspirin. The great dentist I have here in Texas is wonderful...minimal swelling and almost no pain...not to mention that the dentures he hooked my up with fit perfectly.

So, no horror stories of the dentists I've seen to tell you about but I hope your visit wasn't painful and that you are feeling better. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2003, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Lil Lil ]

Old 05-22-2003, 06:16 AM   #5
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Ooooh, dentists, the scriest people ever. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] I'm terrified of them!!!

When I was 9 years old,we usually had regular check-ups in school, because the dentist had her office there. So, once she called me down, to give me a check-up. She looked into my mouth and grabbed the dentist thing for pulling out teeth (whatever you call them). I was afraid of dentists then already, so I asked her if she was going to pull a tooth. She said no. Then she called a nurse and the nurse pushed me down and then held me down. The dentist then tried to grab my tooth and pull it out, but it didn't want to go out, so she got one of those metal sticks and pushed it under the tooth. I guess she was hoping to get it out like that. Well, it didn't work - all it did was that she stabbed me in my gums with it and broke the tooth in half!!! Then she was able to pull out the halves of the tooth one by one with that other thing... My mouth was full of blood, and I had blood down my shirt too... I was screaming so much that my classmates on the second floor could hear me - and they were in the classroom! Oh, and all of this was without any injection - she never gave one to anyone no matter how much you screamed or begged.

Since then I've been terrified of dentists. Once it was 4 years that I didn't go to one. Now, whenever I go, the dentist has to promise me to tell me exactly what and when they're going to do stuff... and how much they expect it to hurt... and I demand an injection no matter what they'll do. Last time I was at the dentist I actually fainted when she was just giving me an injection... *sniff* [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 07:58 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Spelca, that is AWFUL! Man, I can't believe it, your dentist sounds as if she learnt her trade in the Middle Ages!

I am moderately scared of the dentist but luckily I've never had to have anything "big" done. I had a tine little hole in a milk tooth once, and once in my "permanent" teeth, but they were so small it hardly hurt at all to drill without an injection.

I do wish I would have had braces as a kid - the dentist felt I didn't need them because my lower teeth and all but two of my upper teeth are perfectly straight naturally. But I do have a small gap between my front teeth which I don't like at all and I wish I'd had it fixed at a younger age. Now I just accept it and ignore it.

Wendy, you already know I'm really sorry about your dental prob! I hope things will turn out alright. *hugs*
Old 05-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've only really had two 'bad' experiences. Not that dental work is FUN, but it doesn't usually bother me. One bad thing was when a second rate dentist took my insurance payments but did a lousy job on a crown- He fit it badly, put one in, it was way too big, had to pull it out later, ARRRRRRRRRGH that was traumatic! And the final one was too big, overlapping the gumline, leaving a gap and letting things under it...suffice it to say it was a VERY painful tooth under that crown and I got a new dentist. The new guy properly fitted the crown and I've had no trouble with it for years!

My other not so wonderful experience was when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I had three heavily impacted wisdom teeth extracted on the same day. It was two hours of surgery and I was on narcotics for the pain. The narcotic did weird things to my perceptions and made me paranoid, and I decided to tolerate the pain rather than take the drugs. Then when I went back for a check up we found some tooth bit that hadn't been removed from the last site he worked on(was easy to miss some, as I have a small mouth and not much room to work on the teeth!). The dentist pulled the little fragment out, easy as pie, and after that things got a whole lot better!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
Nevaeh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Only one bad experince here... Back when I used to skateboard. I was standing on my board perfectly still in my garden, and went to lean on the fence. The only problem was I forgot I was on a board and it just flew from under my feet. I landed face first, broke my jaw and six of my teeth were forced into my gums . And to make it even worse, I had just got a new brace the day before. Needless to say, it was totally destroyed. I had 6 months of dental surgery to get my teeth back into place, and a weird brace to get my jaw back into place. I just got that one off a few months ago [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Nevaeh ]
Old 05-22-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No bad experiances. Ever. Just lucky, I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevaeh:
Only one bad experince here... Back when I used to skateboard. I was standing on my board perfectly still in my garden, and went to lean on the fence. The only problem was I forgot I was on a board and it just flew from under my feet. I landed face first, broke my jaw and six of my teeth were forced into my gums . And to make it even worse, I had just got a new brace the day before. Needless to say, it was totally destroyed. I had 6 months of dental surgery to get my teeth back, and a weird brace to get my jaw back into place. I just got that one off a few months ago [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ouch
BTW, Welcome to IW! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 02:11 PM   #10
Nevaeh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Kaltia showed me here.