Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 03-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Sorry about the lengthy post. You can jump down to the movie info here.
<font size = 1>
updated 3.28
&nbsp&nbsp - game and movie info

updated 3.31
&nbsp&nbsp - 6 new movie stills (BlairWitch.de #29, #30, #31 and SciFiNews.de #1, #2, #3)

updated 4.8
&nbsp&nbsp - 2 new TV spots (YouTube #2 and #3)

updated 4.11
&nbsp&nbsp - "Making Of" video and production notes added

updated 4.12
&nbsp&nbsp - movie segment added

updated 4.17
&nbsp&nbsp - movie segment #2 added
</font>
About the games
<font size = 1>A few highlights from Wikipedia</font>

What is Silent Hill?

Quote:
Silent Hill is a secluded, lakeside resort town in the United States which--like many such small towns in horror fiction and movies--is permeated by an ancient power. Demonic and disfigured creatures roam the streets and buildings, and the town continually shifts between everyday reality and a decaying "Otherworld." In the first two games, the protagonists are drawn to the seemingly abandoned town; in the third and fourth games, the town reaches out to characters who have some previous connection to it.

Though Silent Hill's streets and buildings remain superficially unchanged from game to game, the horrors each character encounters are specific to him or her, reflecting his or her own psyche. Images and symbols recur throughout each game, providing insight into the character, plot, and underlying themes and creating a tightly interwoven and very personal horror story. This subtle continuity––the strong sense of underlying significance––increases the game’s feeling of dread. <font color=black><span style=background:black>The recurring imagery also provides clues to the ultimate mystery underpinning each game and foreshadows the end of the story.</font>
</font>
  • The first game focuses on Harry Mason and his search through Silent Hill for his missing daughter, Cheryl. <font color=black><span style=background:black>He finds that the secret of Cheryl’s birth is closely tied to the activities of an ancient cult in Silent Hill.</font> The game liberally mixes Christian religious imagery with hermetic and occult symbolism, as well as including many images related to children, childhood, and corrupted innocence. Images and symbols tend to be benign in the real world but take on a twisted, grotesque malevolence in the Otherworld, a dualism that will continue throughout the series.</font>
  • Silent Hill 2 follows James Sunderland who comes to Silent Hill searching for his wife. The game is filled with sexual imagery and symbolism, as well as images of torture, torment, and hell. <font color=black><span style=background:black>In this game, the town acts as a metaphorical incarnation of a person's troubled psyche––a kind of purgatory in which people punish themselves for––or perhaps revel in––past crimes.</font></font>
  • The third game is a direct sequel to the first, this time following Harry’s daughter, Heather Mason, <font color=black><span style=background:black>as she’s drawn back into the supernatural machinations of the Silent Hill cult</font>. Silent Hill 3 combines the religious imagery of the first game with the psychological surrealism of the second, notably in the use of mother–child, birth, abortion, and miscarriage imagery, <font color=black><span style=background:black>which foreshadow the story’s final revelations</font>.</font>
  • In Silent Hill 4, the game’s imagery and symbolism reflect the psyche not of the game’s protagonist, but of its antagonist, Walter Sullivan. The player––like the protagonist, Henry Townshend––is drawn into Sullivan’s nightmare world and must slowly piece together his history through the creatures and settings encountered there. This game provides metaphors for birth, mothers, and references to the other Silent Hill games.</font>
Because so many scenes in the Silent Hill games can be interpreted symbolically or metaphorically, it is often unclear whether the town’s grotesque transformations and the creatures and other characters the protagonist encounters are hallucinations, dreams, or reality. The games encourage this sense of altered reality: the main character might experience a dreamlike encounter with a character who died earlier in the game, step through a door and find himself transported to an unknown location, go back into an elevator and find a button for a floor that didn’t exist earlier, or have to make his way through a location called “Nowhere,” a twisted combination of previous locations with no guiding map. <font color=black><span style=background:black>One of the possible endings in the first game even reveals that the entire story has been Harry Mason’s dying hallucination.</font>
On Silent Hill...
Quote:
The first Silent Hill was released in 1999 for the Sony PlayStation. The plot of the game was centered around Harry Mason arriving in Silent Hill and his subsequent attempts at finding his lost daughter, Cheryl.
(I can't link to the game's page, but it's in there)

On Silent Hill 2...
Quote:
A fully new sequel, Silent Hill 2, was released in 2001 for the Sony Playstation 2, Microsoft Xbox and PC. This title is sometimes known as Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams. The plot centered around James Sunderland, who had received a letter from his deceased wife that was postmarked from Silent Hill and his subsequent arrival there in an attempt to find her. The game's story may be an adaptation of the tale of Orpheus' journey to the netherworld to retrieve his wife Eurydice, or perhaps the similar Japanese tale of Izanagi and Izanami.
On Silent Hill 3...
Quote:
2003 saw the release of a third full sequel to the Silent Hill series as Silent Hill 3, released on the Sony Playstation 2. Highly tethered to the events of the first game, the plot surrounds a teenager named Heather and the mysteries that surround her past.
On Silent Hill 4...
Quote:
Although not originally intended as a part of the Silent Hill series, Silent Hill 4: The Room was released in 2004 for the Sony Playstation 2, Microsoft Xbox and PC. Largely unrelated to the previous games and only briefly set near Silent Hill, the plot follows Henry Townshend who finds himself mysteriously locked in his own apartment until a hole appears in his bathroom wall. The game features characters that are mentioned in previous titles and possibly related to other personas therein.
<a name="about" id="about">About the movie</a>
www.welcometosilenthill.com

Theatrical Release Date:
<font size=1>As per IMDb</font>

4/21 (UK, US, and Canada)
4/26 (Belgium & France)
4/27 (Greece & Hungary)
5/11 (Germany & Russia)
5/18 (Thailand)
5/25 (Netherlands)
5/26 (Poland)
6/2<font color=#3D2F1B>0</font> (Sweden)
6/9<font color=#3D2F1B>0</font> (Finland)
6/23 (Brazil)
7/4<font color=#3D2F1B>0</font> (Iceland)
7/31 (Argentina & Australia)

Cast & Crew:
<TABLE border=0><tr><td>Radha Mitchell</td><td>Rose</td></tr><tr><td>Sean Bean</td><td>Christopher</td></tr><tr><td>Laurie Holden</td><td>Cybil Bennet</td></tr><tr><td>Deborah Kara Unger&nbsp&nbsp</td><td>Dahlia</td></tr><tr><td>Kim Coates</td><td>Officer Gucci</td></tr><tr><td>Tanya Allen</td><td>Anna</td></tr><tr><td>Alice Krige</td><td>Christabella</td></tr><tr><td>Jodelle Ferland</td><td>Sharon</td></tr>
</table>
<table border=0><tr><td>Christophe Gans</td><td>Director</td></tr><tr><td>Roger Avary</td><td>Writer</td></tr><tr><td>Samuel Hadida</td><td>Producer</td></tr><tr><td>Don Carmody</td><td>Producer</td></tr><tr><td>Andrew Mason</td><td>Executive Producer</td></tr><tr><td>Victor Hadida</td><td>Executive Producer</td></tr><tr><td>Akira Yamaoka</td><td>Executive Producer</td></tr><tr><td>Dan Laustsen, D.F.F.&nbsp&nbsp</td><td>Director of Photography</td></tr><tr><td>Patrick Tatopoulos</td><td>Creature Designer</td></tr></table>
An interesting fact:
Quote:
He [Yamaoka] is most well known for his work on the Silent Hill series of video games, for which he composed all the music and created all of the sound effects in all four games. He also played the very important role of Producer for Silent Hill 3 and 4.
MPAA Rating: R
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspFor scenes of strong violence and gore, disturbing images, and some language

The teaser (note the grainy filter)
The trailer
TV spot (sorry for the quality)
TV spot #2 (opens up differently, but it's about the same)
TV spot #3
Movie segment (36-second footage from the movie, definite spoilers)
Movie segment #2 (more footage from the movie; this one's just over a minute long)

In addition to the movie stills found on the site (some of these are definitely NSFW):
</font>On-the-Set of Silent Hill (possible spoilers ahead)
Production notes (in addition to cast & crew biographies)
Filmmaker blog

[ 04-17-2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
Crypt
Welcomed New User

I honestly can't wait for this movie to come out. I am a huge fan of the video game series and think if properly done it could turn into a great movie. Now i guess we just have to wait and see. Though those trailers do look really good.
Crypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Aye look forward to more info Nano! and was that Sean Bean in the trailer? awesome
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

i saw a preview today and it looks MONEY!!!! i can't wait to see it.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Excellent info Nano cheers [img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
Nanobyte

So the movie comes out this Friday. Is anyone planning on seeing it?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
So the movie comes out this Friday. Is anyone planning on seeing it?
Definately man, myself and the g/f will be going on saturday cant wait!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

*****possible spoiler*****

I saw it and really wanted my money back after the show. I thought it was directed very well, but the script was lousy, and the ending made no sense at all to me, other than them maybe vaguely trying to foreshadow a sequel. At least some of the FX were cool. But again, don't see this picture, unless you want to be severly disappointed.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I went and saw Silent Hill the night it came out with some buddies of mine. A lot of us generally expected a fairly good scare, but we didn't get one. We left the theater confused and wondering what half of the things in the movie meant. I knew a little about the game so I tried to explain it based on what I knew. They were still confused. Ah well, we had a good laugh at some of the parts, even moreso when it got all silent and some girl in front of us dropped an F-Bomb when her phone started ringing really loud.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
Nanobyte

For a videogame adaptation, it's not as bad as you'd think it would be, but it's not as good, given the source material. Someone mentioned this on the PA forums, and I just thought I'd share:

Quote:
Half of the explanation for why Silent Hill failed would require telling you the story. One man on IMDb expressed my views on the movie perfectly when he said that for being such a meticulous conversion of the Silent Hill games onto film, it is unforgiveable that the one item they did NOT use was the story. In fact, the plot written by Avery is the exact opposite of the one from the game. Literally. Everything is flip-flopped. And furthermore, this story is just plain awful. The other half of the problem is best expressed by the IGN reviewer who described Silent Hill as being terminally BORING for a suspense/thriller/horror film and is simply a chore to sit through.
All I can say is that unless the movie totally ruined it for you, try the games. It only gets better from there.