Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 05-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #11
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I mean, my God. I wouldn't be able to see that movie. I would be forcibly removed from the theatre because I would be sitting in my seat, whispering things like "There's no legal precedent for this" and "Are they suggesting that the principal is the one who grades students? Or that he just intervene personally to give them all A's? That's awfully corrupt of him. Is that the kind of man who she wants to date?" and "My God, she's stupid" to whatever poor soul might be sitting next to me. Or my friend who would come along to help me make fun of it. Either way.
remind me to never go to the theater with you [img]tongue.gif[/img] , seriously though, I know excactly where you are coming from, and as much as I hate to say this, but I could not go to the theater to see movies like this, I would probably fall asleep trying to watch it, maybe they will some how figure out we are not crazy enough to belive the movie, and will start making better one?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:
The problem I've seen with movies recently is unlike the old classic black and white films, where the actor had to be able to 'act,' these walking twists have special effects to help smooth the rough edges. Take the Star Wars: Clone Wars film as a prime example.
The biggest reason I didn't like the Clone Wars (at all) was that it had too many cheesy lines, and the guy playing Anakin isn't the best actor either.

Hollywood is running out of ideas alright, I really do hate it when they come out with movies with a storyline so lame it makes the best actor look like crap. I do have a prediction though, that when ideas and scripts become minimum, they'll start making more movies off of games, or spin-offs anyway.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #13
uss
20th Level Warrior

That's the very reason I love Anime, Drathiran'ar. Very many Anime series use its own way to approach the subject and then use all sorts of nice ways to develop it. Many series are practically worshipped by quite a few fans, and that is because the directors do their hardest to make the creation not fall into a stereotype. Of course, there are exceptions(a few very long shows) but very, very few, considering that so many American movies are like that. Many Anime series also have great soundtracks(I can give you a list of 'Many Animes,' if anyone doesn't believe me).

Also, I am absolutely fed up with hearing the American English. Nowadays, I NEVER watch television, since so much of it is just junk rating-manipulated shows. (Whereas Japanese sounds so very beautiful(but that's a more personal thought). I *always* insist on taking subtitled Anime, since dubtitled stuff always ruins the voice of at least one character.

I think that Anime(Hellsing, all from Miyazaki, Shinkai Makoto, many more) has such beautiful and cool images that aren't possible to do live-action. [img]smile.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #14
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I haven't been to see a movie since Return of the King, and I really don't regret it...although sometimes Gloria goes without me... ...Anyway, there have been good movies to come out...the industry has just realized that more profit can be made from constantly having a movie in theaters as opposed to having only the good ones. The teenage demographic (at least in the US) will aaaaaalways spend it's parents' money on movie tickets, whether they REALLY want to see them or not.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

The problem is not a lack of creativity: two thousand years ago there were stories being made, poems written, plays acted - and today there are thousands more original ideas in the same mediums produced every single year.

What do exist are archetypal story structures - but there are always exceptions to the rule, which because of the entrenched pattern of narrative that the audience has come to expect ("cultivation theory"), anything that tries to differ from it is often seen as alien and has a huge problem of getting over that barrier.

There are thousands of scripts written with brilliant dialogue, moving stories, deep and introspective observation... the list goes on. What, however, is produced on the big screen is a culmination of the need for profit and the assurance that certain styles of film will get the said profits.

How you go about solving that is beyond me. There isn't any sort of lack of talented actors, writers or directors, but they'll never rise to the top due to the economic factors which control the entire industry - save for notable exceptions.

When you remember that even the most common, down to earth people used to go and watch Shakespeare's (and his contemporaries') plays, and more than that - enjoy them - then the situation seems somehow very sad.

And what I just contributed to the discussion I have no idea. But I felt like a rant.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:11 PM   #16
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
When you remember that even the most common, down to earth people used to go and watch Shakespeare's (and his contemporaries') plays, and more than that - enjoy them - then the situation seems somehow very sad.

And what I just contributed to the discussion I have no idea. But I felt like a rant.
I agree with you 100% [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] But even Shakespeare had to pander to popular market forces. He included nods to the royal family ala the Banquo King procession in MacBeth to please King James, in effect catering to his 'sponsors'. He also included numerous bawdy jokes and toilet humour (cf the Porter in MacBeth) in order to hold the limited attention spans of the... less civilised in the audience.

Indeed, in the 5th century BC Athens, Aristophanes rewrote the ending to his comedy 'The Clouds' in which he included additional singing, dancing and overall visual eye-candy, which he believed to be superficial and trite, solely to please the fickle, unsophisticated tastes of Athens' 'simpler' citizenry.

This doesn't detract from the overall quality of either Shakespeare's or Aristophanes' plays, but I think it suggests that there have always been commercial interests interfering with art. There are just more people around these days, and so the pressures are greater. But, so long as genuine artists exist who write what they want to write and damn the commercial pressure, then we'll be able to keep ourselves entertained with some high-quality media.

[ 05-20-2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 05-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #17
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Oh, most definately! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Being a professional playwright or poet depended much upon the patronage of wealthy noblemen - which is why you have sonnets and odes of all kinds being dedicated to the nobility in return for some financial gain.

That said, Shakespeare enjoyed realtive comfort in regard to his wealth after a sucession of sucessful plays - which allowed him the pleasure of writing his comedies. Or so the theory goes, anyway.

The whole problem of the arts centers around the fact it isn't able to be qualified as an essential part of society: it neither produces commodities nessecary for survival, nor produces any means by which others may do so. It's not even a 'service'. With this in mind, it's difficult to envisage any artist working purely for their own artistic endevours, since they need some sort of financial security to allow them to do that: Hardy is a perfect example, always wanting to be a poet but having to resort to novels so he could give himself some financial backing.

Films are a little different (to get back on track), but the same sort of principals still apply. There is a subculture of 'artistic' movies, ones made by little known directors and actors, probably full of artistic merit and stunning innovation in their field. I'm just sorry that they will never reach a larger audience because of economic princibles.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:32 AM   #18
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
~snip~
Films are a little different (to get back on track), but the same sort of principals still apply. There is a subculture of 'artistic' movies, ones made by little known directors and actors, probably full of artistic merit and stunning innovation in their field. I'm just sorry that they will never reach a larger audience because of economic princibles.
To misquote southpark, "Independant films are just a bunch of gay cowboys sitting around eating pudding."

on a more serious note I like alot of independant films and I think that many of the ones I've seen are really good, both enjoyable, and different from the mainstream crap we're inundated with constantly.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
That's the very reason I love Anime, Drathiran'ar. Very many Anime series use its own way to approach the subject and then use all sorts of nice ways to develop it.
I disagree. Unless things have changed much, every anime film builds up a decent story until the climax where, whatever form the villain has taken throughout the movie, he/it somehow morphs into a giant many-tentacled amoeba monster devouring everything in its path. Is there something about the Japanese mindset that says an amorphous creature is the pinnacle of terror??? I don't get it.

Quote:
To misquote southpark, "Independant films are just a bunch of gay cowboys sitting around eating pudding."
One of my favorites!!!

As for the comment about Blade II, I thought Blade was so crappy I didn't even go watch #2. I avoid Wesley Snipes movies after deciding he can't act his way out of a paper bag. Jungle Fever was okay, but after that movie I realized that what made it good had nothing to do with Snipes.

Van Helsing looks entertaining but not great. I probably won't even rent Hellboy it looks so crappy.

As for Kate Hudson, any movie of hers I watch on video rather than at the movies. However, I am perfectly willing to watch a crappy/cheesy flick with her in it just to oogle her wonderful butt. For a good movie with her in it, check out Almost Famous.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:16 AM   #20
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />That's the very reason I love Anime, Drathiran'ar. Very many Anime series use its own way to approach the subject and then use all sorts of nice ways to develop it.
I disagree. Unless things have changed much, every anime film builds up a decent story until the climax where, whatever form the villain has taken throughout the movie, he/it somehow morphs into a giant many-tentacled amoeba monster devouring everything in its path. Is there something about the Japanese mindset that says an amorphous creature is the pinnacle of terror??? I don't get it.
</font>[/QUOTE]Not really. What you just described is a stereotype of a sort, only that it's *much* less used from the American movie stereotype and every series I've seen has something special that others don't have(Except for Rahxephon [img]tongue.gif[/img] which was a unintended complete remake of NGE).

What Anime is your opnion based on? Which Anime have you seen? If your opinion is based on Dragon Ball (Z/GT), Pokemon, Digimon, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin or Beyblade, then what you saw isn't the Anime that so many people are crazy about(except for maybe DBZ). All of those series are very popular, true, but they're actually an exception in Anime.

The true Anime that I'm talking about is the following(Taken from my personal experience, these are my favourites): Neon Genesis Evangelion(shortened as NGE), Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Trigun, Scrapped Princess, Escaflowne, Azumanga Daioh, Angel Sanctuary, Noir, Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai(Japanese for Abenobashi Magical Shopping District), Berserk, Ima, Soko Ni Iru Boku(Japanese for Now and Then, Here and There) and many more. All of these Anime differ from each-other by a fine line, a lot more than American movies, that's for sure. In fact, looking back at the list, Berserk is the only one of them that has a giant daemon in it. The giant daemon is only in the first episode, only for 5 minutes and certainly doesn't morph from any villain. Plus, since it's a supernatural medieval horror action Anime, I think the daemon fit into the storyline well.

Keep in mind that every Anime title that I mentioned in this post is a series. There is this great habit with Anime, that almost every good series is 26 episodes long, if not (sometimes) 13 or (rarely) less. In my opinion, 26 episodes is perfect, since it isn't enough long to make you find similarities with other shows, neither is it too short.

Anime has made me replace my Winamp list completely with Japanese pop music, Japanese rock and Japanese instrumental. Might sound kind of weird, but Anime brought me to Jazz(Yoko Kanno is a musical genius). Heh, white boy listens to music invented by black people but played by Japanese. That's what I call a good effect from globalisation.

I must repeat that the only Anime I ever watch is in Japanese. I refuse to watch American English dubbed Anime, since it always has slightly spoilt the series for me. It's just that Japanese teenagers talking always leaves a much more adult and sympathetic impression than American teenagers.

It makes me slightly sad and surprised when I see unintelligent people saying 'ANIME RULZZZ' around the net. For me, most Anime has been an intelligent experience, since there is almost always a huge emphasis towards the human psychology and philosophy.

Looking back, for me, Anime is really a marvel to behold. It gave me a great interest towards Japanese culture, writing and language. Also made me want to draw. Hell, it even made my personal "things to do" list have a 'Visit Japan at least once in my lifetime' request!

I think I've explained enough about why I love Anime by now. It has affected my life greatly, in a rather good way(currently instead of playing with the computer I mostly draw or study the Japanese language and/or writing). I might save this text into my computer for future reference in defense of the much prejudiced Anime. Well, it has been fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2004, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote