Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 10:36 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

im total stranger to any fantasy novels... is anne rice great? i mean are all of her books great? ALL?

anyways can you suggest any fantasy novel that i will love... (at least for a newbie )

thanx!!!

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:52 PM   #2
jabidas
Silver Dragon

The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb is excellent the first book is called assasins apprentice Good reading

------------------
jabidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:31 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Alot of choices out there Bahamut.
But the obvious first choice in Fantasy is Lord of the Rings.
The D&D, Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realms books I have only ever read a couple of. I remember enjoying them at the time but they are not very fresh in my memory and thus cannot quite comment adequetly enough on. Read lots of good posts about them on this board though and am thinking of picking up a couple.
I have read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books, except for the most recent one. At first I did not enjoy it. But I stuck with it and by the time I got to the third book I found that I could not put them down, enjoyed them quite a bit. These books are quite good but it's a big undertaking and investment in time to read all those big books.
I like Michael Moorcock. Some of the concepts and metaphysical craziness and weirdo imagery that he throws out is what i am kind of into. Saw a post on him here on the board.
Conan books are a good start. There's a Robert E. Howard post I started somewhere around here. The first real books I ever really read were Conan and they've stuck with me always and are what got me into fantasy.
You know man, some people might laugh or say that these books don't fall under the 'fantasy' genre, but I love the Narnia books. Those have some really creepy undertones, at least IMHO and the memories of which have also stuck with me forever. Kind of for the real young crowd but still good as far as i'm concerned.
I like sci-fi as well and I have always categorized fantasy and sci-fi together just as an unworldly type genre. Lots of good sci-fi out there too.
Let us know if you pick anything up!
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 08:14 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Bahamut? These might seem like rude questions - probably are, lol! - But how old are you? I mean, teenage or adult? And what books do you normally read? DO you read much?

You might not think any of those things matter, but when it comes to selecting your first fantasy novel it matters a LOT! So if you are willing to supply the answers, I will supply some advice!

------------------

Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 04:41 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Fljotsdale has a good point.
Anne Rice is good although not 'pure' fantasy as they have a very real setting in New Orleans (mostly), some of her books are better than others though. I would advise that if you want to give her a try, start with Interview with the Vampire or The Vampire Lestat. The Witching Hour is another good one, first in the 'Mayfair Witches' series, but very long (it is about 3 inches thick) so may not be a good one to start with.

For pure fantasy, I am a newly recruited fan of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Eye of the World is the first in the series, and I really recommend it!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:56 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It may be good to start with some Forgotten Realms books as you are already familiar with them. National Bookstore and Goodwill Bookstore at the Ayala Centre, Makati, have a huge selection, far bigger than anything I've found here in Sydney. A good trilogy to begin with would be the Icewind Dale trilogy, it's very easy reading and very good too.

Once you get comfortable with these you can move on to Anne Rice and the others. Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors but she can get very intense and it might be a bit overwhelming for you, though you're more than welcome to give her a go. Suggest starting with Interview with the Vampire as Epona said.

Have fun!

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 12:37 PM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

okay... here it is

i read. but not fantasy.. and im a newbie with it.. i want to go back to reading cooz i want to expand my lousy vocabulary and wisdom, and new thoguhts to ponder on.. well anybook could do that, but i wanna ttry out fantasy now...

as for anne rice, i can handle anything. ill see for it myself...

as far as everyone is concerned, i am a stranger in some foriegn land...

thanx for your help!

and i need MORE!

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-01-2001, 02:41 PM   #8
imperial dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First give Lord of the Rings a try (if you do not want to buy it, every library has it (if your's does not, change the library!)).
if you like that kind of grand epiclike scope you surely will enjoy Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, and Wheel of time, although they are not that highstyled as LOT (but which other book can claim to be at this level of telling)
if LOT is to heavy and slowpaced try Salvatore and Moorcock (although he's a bit unusual (see Djinn Raffo))
An alternative between pace and scope and quite good is the Deathgate Cycle (at least I think it's called that in English, only read the German translation, please correct me if I'm wrong, it's that with Sartan and Patryn and so on ) from Weis and Hickham.

But LOT is the measure for it (in my opinion)

------------------
reality is for those not smart enough to see the truth
imperial dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 02:34 PM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

whoa.. you guys never fail to amaze me...

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-02-2001, 03:39 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

OK. You have't told me all I need to know, but I'll give it a go. I suggest light and easy-reading stuff since you are not familiar with the genre:

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books (not strictly fantasy, but good)
Ursula LeGuin - 'Earthsea' quartet
Piers Anthony - 'Apprentice Adept' series & 'Incarnations of Imortality' series

None of these are AD&D, but all are a good introduction to Fantasy.

BTW - NICE SIG! Our Last True Princess knows her stuff!
------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-02-2001).]
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote