Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Crazed Silly Installed 6 more gigs of Gskill ram, and it reboots before Win7 loads??!?

Ok, I have an eVGA x58 3x SLI MB (only have 1 video card--its a good board for graphics design). Installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago. Had 6 gigs of ram, have 64 bit now, so I went to newegg and the ram (Gskill DDR3 1600) and bought 6 more gigs (3x2gig) and its the SAME exact ram I have in already.

Well, I have the RAM Overclocked in BIOS to 1600. Do I need to change ANY settings adding the 3 new sticks? I figured I wouldn't...

Could it just be bad ram? I am feeling so bad right now I just can't dick with it at the moment. should feel better in a day or so..

So any ideas? I had 6 gigs. 3x2gig, and now I added the other 3 sticks totallying 12 gigs (For rendering in 3DS max for 3D Modeling), but it doesn't like the OCing speed.

I (CAN) get it to work at stock speed at a lower speed, but since the first 6 gigs overclocked, these new same types should too... (Even tried higher voltages from 1.5 to 1.7v)

I'm starting to really hate computers.. hahahah

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Installed 6 more gigs of Gskill ram, and it reboots before Win7 loads??!?

BTW, the ram when I originally bought the original Gskill Ram, it was like $149, and now, for the same 6 gigs, its $43.

WILD.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Installed 6 more gigs of Gskill ram, and it reboots before Win7 loads??!?

Reset to stock. Welcome to 64bit OS - not as well behaved when overlclocking as their x86 cousins. If you're determined to OC, reseat the ram around a little, see if it holds. Rebooting is a sign of instability.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah.. I figured it may be that, but if 6 gigs OC'ed worked for weeks fine, why wouldn't 12 gigs? I'll do some digging.. may look to see if my cmos it the latest.

BTW, a THIRD hard drive just got a bad block.. that is now THREE drives in little over a month.. (this latest one is the oldest), but THREE that close together scares me.. the MB better not be messing up the Harddrives.. (the boot drive is not on the bad drive. I backed up the others on bluray, so I'm cool there, but THREE in a little over a month smells fishy.... just feeling crappy right now, and can't deal with it.. Friday I SHOULD be better...

I'll call Evga and ask them. they are good with replacements.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Your drives are always failing, lol. Maybe calm down on the OCing bruh.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Na, I don't OC anything but the ram.. been overclocked since 2010. I just have 6 drives in my home system. many are over 80000 hrs old, so I guess they're giving out.

No worries, I have the new RMA one from the last death.. I don't OC my CPU.. I COULD, but don't need the heat.. my CPU temps are 49c... and my video card temps are around 46c on air... all is well.

BTW, for those that want to check their temps on the CPU or Video card, grab "Real temp' and "Rivatuner"..

If all else fails, I'll run memtest on the chips at a cleanboot to disc. to some burn ins on it.... I have a feeling its bad ram....

Other than that, all is well here.. The server is performing sweetly.. just my personal system with the ram.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Why bother OCing the ram on a system with 12 gigs though? Too much risk too little payoff imo. Call me paranoid but I avoid OCing unless I absolutely have to or unless I don't give a shit about the system to begin with, and figure I have nothing to lose by taxing it. I agree with avoiding OCing the CPU, I really do find it to deplete the hardware life. Vidcard less risky but heat can be an issue.

P.S. Nice temps btw - stock or cooling?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

It increases the transfer rates and speed of data...

I have a i7 920 N, and its a 2.6Ghz, but on just AIR alone, I could OC it to 3.2Ghz, but I have enough power, and yeah, the thermal issues are not worth it in the long run..

Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah but what could you possibly need 12gig of OC ram for in a personal rig? If the ram is in anyway decent the differences would be negligible especially given the amount you have.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

As I said, I make 3D Models in 3DS Max, and it speeds up rendering EXTREMELY well the more ram you have. (Same for Adobe Photoshop).

I can now load an entire wireframe 3d model of a million polygons and its smooth too.
Gaming is a distant 2nd for the ram.. 6 gigs is more than enough for Mass Effect 3 on the PC. It's butter smooth.