Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #91
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Default Re: Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

SKYRIM ROCKS
I have been playing it on both X-Box and on PC and the PC version is almost Twice as good due to all the MODS and with 6 Good size Add on MODS with a huge MOD on the way + there are something like 600 little mods to pick and choose from.
I have been playing Dragon Age II also and it floats in at a close second but not as much replay in my opinion. Dragon Age Origins just wasn't that good and SKYRIM blows it off the MAP again in my opinion.
The Engine and Story in Skyrim is way above and beyond Oblivion but I did play through Oblivion 7 times maybe 8. I still Play Morrow Wind and the expansions
With the new Skyrim Mod where you can ride a Dragon instead of a horse works great and I like it better than the wagon rides because you can find old ruins that have no roads to get to them and then use Dragon Call Shout to call it back when your ready to move on. If you use the Dragon follower with the storage mod you can collect close to a ton of stuff.
Dan
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #92
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Well, a change in how games are distributed does not equal the market being very much alive.
That maybe true but sales are sales. At one level it doesn't matter to the game publisher if his games are sold via retail or digital distribution as long as they sell. (Okay maybe there is a small impact on distribution costs as you don't need fancy packaging for 100% digital distribution) So the bottom line is are PC game sales increasing, dropping thru the floor or flat?

It's no secret that retail PC game sales are down, but overall PC game software sales (which includes digital distribution) have increased each year for the last four consecutive years. If that doesn't point to a healthy PC game market, I don't know what does.

Quote:
The PC Gaming Alliance was originally announced at the 2008 Game Developer's Conference. Four years later the "non-profit, industry-led consortium," whose members include staff from AMD, Intel, Epic Games, Capcom, Razer and more, is still putting out reports. Their take on PC gaming? It's alive, it's well and it's setting records for sales.

Per the press release put out today March 6, 2012 by the organization, PC game sales have risen globally by 15% year-over-year in 2011, reaching a record $18.6 billion. Also noted is the continued growth of the PC games market in China, whose year-over-year growth hit 27%, or $6 billion.

The Alliance has high hopes for the PC business in the future. The belief is that "growing access to broadband connections and the increasing ease of digital distribution delivery solutions and payment" will elevate growth to 37%, or $25.5 billion by 2015.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1220114p1.html

In fact, PC game sales are projected to actually surpass console sales in two+ years.

Are those projections for 2012 and beyond accurate? I don't know, but I've been hearing about the total demise of PC games for several years and I simply don't see it.

Any way you slice it, those numbers do NOT point to a failing market. No way, no how.

I think your point about Steam entering the console business says more about the decline in retails sales across the entire market than it does about the relative rise or fall of a given segment of that market. Steam (and others) simply see an opportunity to sieze market share in the console software market just as they did with the PC game market. It's the brick and mortar aspect of PC software sales that was/is at risk not the platform itself.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #93
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

Well, sales and production rate are different things. Like I said in that post almost 1 year ago, I can count on one hand the PC games I am excited about annually. So far, for this new year of 2012 I have racked up a total of one. And I am on the fence to even term it excitement.

New methods of selling games online are great there's no doubt. With internet finally mainstreaming at speeds that can distribute large games to your computer within an acceptable timeframe, people are using these services to instantly purchase old games that stores have long since taken off their shelves. Can't find BG1 or Icewind Dale in your little town even though you are willing to pay full price? GoG, Steam or D2D are happy to take your business. Looking to get your hands on Thief 1? They have that too and you won't have to wait for the mailman. This is a much-needed windfall for the PC gaming industry. Maybe it is this alone which attributes to the increases?

Optimistic predictions like you have above, are as common as pessimistic ones. For every site crooning about the market being "on the mend", you can find 3 more spelling out its demise, equipped with different charts and graphs etc. that interpret the numbers differently or warn you not to believe the hype that's designed mainly to placate stockholders and investors... IDK who's right or wrong at this point. But just from my own observation, there is a marked difference in how retailers even handle PC games. How they stock them, what they stock and how they showcase them compared to their console cousins. Such a precious commodity would only be pushed aside unless it was no longer as precious. And then people tell me the market is thriving right now i'm like wtf? I remember when the market was booming! High quality games released almost weekly. Now the Xbox reigns supreme.

More interesting is the goal of Apple, who have basically said they envision a future where the PC is replaced with the tablet (iPad). A few years ago that would be laughable, but now...not so much. At the same time, I just saw a report that tablet sales were down this month so like I said, who knows what to believe? I mean, thinking about it Apple would say that, given how they make no bones of the PC being their ultimate rival.