Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2003, 07:01 PM   #21
Burner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
i didn't eve realize iron maiden was still around. i know rob halford had left them sometime ago and went to a new band, and did some solo stuff too, mind you that was like....when i was in jr high! (12-14 years old)
Rob Halford is in Judas Priest, or I should say recently returned to Judas preist. You must be thinking of Bruce Dickinson, who returned to Iron maiden after going solo for a bit. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]And a good thing too! I've been a major Iron Maiden fan since Paul D'ianno was the singer(yes, I'm that old!), but Dickinson's solo album "Tattooed Millionaire" is some of the worst crap I've ever heard. I literally couldn't believe my ears the first time I listened to it, it was that awful. The second and last time was about 2 years later, and it didn't get any better. He put out some others from what I understand, but I wasn't going to get anywhere near them.

I don't have the new CD, but the single I heard sounded pretty good(can't think of the name). I also liked "Brave New World". It may not be as good as some of the early 80s stuff like "Number of the Beast" or "Powerslave", but I think expecting a band to live up to that standard is setting the bar unreasonably high. With some of the junk out there today, I'm just glad they're putting anything out.

Burner
Old 10-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #22
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

I listen to alot of heavy metal music... I have been for over 25 years now, and i have enjoyed watching some bands progress to greater heights, and I have watched some bands just peter out and go comercial... I listen to alot of the new breed of metal out hter today... Mudvayne, Arch Ememy, Spineshank, Sevendust, Chimiria, along with the oldstuff like Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, Danzig, Megadeath, etc...

It is relaxing... Ilike nothing more than seeing live shows... I am going to enjoy seeing Slayer and Hatebreed next month... They both have put on great shows in the past, and are incredible in concert... But it is relaxing... It allows me to drain tension from my body and mind kicking back with some death/thrash/speed/goth metal in the background...

It is sad when some bands try to come back and grab their heyday, but can't quite do it... Madien is one of those groups... They went thru alot of changes over the years before the orignal members all go back together again... It has not been the same... I am afaid that is what is going to happen to Judas Priest since Halford is back fronting the band again... It has been such a long time since Rob and the boys have played, and lets see how that affects their songwriting capabilities, let alone their cohesivness as a band again...
Old 10-04-2003, 02:27 AM   #23
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I just picked up Dance of Deaht today and listening to it right now. While its not Seventh Son, like Jerome said, it pretty decent. Paschendale is great so is Montsegur. And Age of Innocence is enjoyable. I am liking it, and BNW is one of my favorites.

You know, if you read the lyrics to Pashendale to the beat of The Trooper it fits pretty well...

[ 10-04-2003, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-04-2003, 03:07 AM   #24
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I totally agree with the people saying that Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance have lsot there chime after a certain period. My idea is: The bassists started playing less interesting. On Rhime of the Ancient Mariner, my favourite IM, Steve Harris plays a lot of loops and bridges and so on and so forth, while on the new clips he exclusively plays base notes all the time, that makes the music SO boring...
Old 10-04-2003, 04:32 AM   #25
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
i didn't eve realize iron maiden was still around. i know rob halford had left them sometime ago and went to a new band, and did some solo stuff too, mind you that was like....when i was in jr high! (12-14 years old)
Rob Halford is in Judas Priest, or I should say recently returned to Judas preist. You must be thinking of Bruce Dickinson, who returned to Iron maiden after going solo for a bit. [/QUOTE]You're right, LOL, Rob Halford in Maiden??
Paul Di Anno was IM's first singer, not exactly the greatest singer in the world, then came Bruce, then he was replaced by Blaze Bailey for some years and yeah, Bruce's solo stuff might be bad but it's nothing compared to Bailey!! And now, thankfully, Bruce is back!
Here's a question (a little joke that was going around at the time Bruce had left IM). If you had a gun with only two bullets left and you were put in a room with Paul Di'Anno, Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bailey, what would you do? A: Shoot Blaze Bailey twice. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, Nicko McBrain is in jail?
I stopped listening to Maiden ages ago although Jorath, Fear of the Dark ROCKS [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Edit, LOL, Metallica/IM didn't start to suck because the bloody bassist was playing less interesting stuff - let me guess, you're a bass player yourself, otherwise you wouldn't give them so much credit. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I mean, And justice for all is still a great album, and you can hardly *hear* Newsted on there.
No, it's much more simple - when bands exist for as long as IM and Metallica do, a lot of them just run out of inspiration. Then they either start repeating themselves, or they go "trendy". [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-04-2003, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 10-04-2003, 05:06 AM   #26
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

dunno about Metallica, but it was certainly the case with IM!
Old 10-04-2003, 06:14 AM   #27
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
No, it's much more simple - when bands exist for as long as IM and Metallica do, a lot of them just run out of inspiration. Then they either start repeating themselves, or they go "trendy". [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Right, and I think in Metalicas case it was because they cut their hair and started to look like Backstreet boys... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 06:24 AM   #28
Melusine
Dracolisk

That's what they consider trendy, I suppose... [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]

Edit: OMG, your sig!!! I love it!

[ 10-04-2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 10-04-2003, 06:40 AM   #29
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I'm not sure what the status is for Nicko just now, but last I heard he was in court for running over parking attendant who refused him acess. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Some reports i've heard say he got jail time, others say it was just a slap on the wrist. *shrugs* [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 09:31 AM   #30
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltheart Foamfollower:
I listen to alot of heavy metal music... I have been for over 25 years now, and i have enjoyed watching some bands progress to greater heights, and I have watched some bands just peter out and go comercial... I listen to alot of the new breed of metal out hter today... Mudvayne, Arch Ememy, Spineshank, Sevendust, Chimiria, along with the oldstuff like Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, Danzig, Megadeath, etc...

It is relaxing... Ilike nothing more than seeing live shows... I am going to enjoy seeing Slayer and Hatebreed next month... They both have put on great shows in the past, and are incredible in concert... But it is relaxing... It allows me to drain tension from my body and mind kicking back with some death/thrash/speed/goth metal in the background...

It is sad when some bands try to come back and grab their heyday, but can't quite do it... Madien is one of those groups... They went thru alot of changes over the years before the orignal members all go back together again... It has not been the same... I am afaid that is what is going to happen to Judas Priest since Halford is back fronting the band again... It has been such a long time since Rob and the boys have played, and lets see how that affects their songwriting capabilities, let alone their cohesivness as a band again...
i also like mudvayne. Have u seen them live? There really good live!!