Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2002, 03:42 AM   #41
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Did someone say something....must have been the wind. Now all you chemotropic illusions stop bothering me!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:42 AM   #42
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
I can`t prove that *I* exist, but I can prove that atleast one of us exists... this proof is more suited to a chat such as MSN than a forum, though
You are reading this- there are thus two possibilities, either it exists or it doesn`t. Assuming it doesn`t, it must be a figment of your imagination; assuming it does- I must also exist.
I am at the same time reading what you are saying. This, again, allows two possibilities- either it exists or it doesn`t. If it doesn`t, i`m imagining it; if it does, you also exist.

Now, if we assume that neither actually exists, then neither of us exists; and so there is no longer anyone to imagine what the other is typing.
This is important, because if there is noone to imagine it- how can it be imagined ?? Thus, one of us exists and is typing what is being read; the other may exist or be a figment of the imagination of the one who exists; but no less than one may actually exist.
Nice line of thought, but not from the viewpoints of existence. Are you you or someone else as well? In your reasoning you exclude thousands of oiptions. If I am a dream figure in someone elses dream dreaming that I am surfing a place called Ironworks...

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 06-21-2002, 03:45 AM   #43
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by theifprowess:
do we exists?
well you have up to 5 ways to tell if it is so.
and i believe it requires at least 3 of the 5 to prove it does exist.
first is touch- can you touch this object?
taste-are you able to get some kind of taste from this object?
smell-does this object have a distinct smell you can distinguish?
hear-can this object make a noticeable sound?
see-can you physically see the object?

as for if i am real?
yes if i am in your presence
you can physically see me.
you can physically touch me.
you can physically hear me when i speak or move.
you can taste me and tell there is a distinct flavor not of commonality
you can physically smell me, i have a scent.
therefore if i meet or exceed those requirements then i must be real.
can god meet any of those senses requirements?
can you touch god?
can you hear god?
can you taste god?
can you see god?
can you smell god?
does god exist?
First of all, this is not about God or a higher power in this post, it is about you and an excercise for your brain so leave that to other threads please.

Have you have a dream where you touched something, felt it smelled it or enjoyed the sweet taste of it? In the morning when you awoke, were all these things real or not?

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 06-21-2002, 03:57 AM   #44
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
Hey, maybe I am a figment of my own imagination,
oh God! I have gone cross eyed.
Actually your physical form COULD be a figment of your own imagination. And so could your mind, because to yourself you might seem as a kind person. To the rest of us you might seem like a bastard, either of us might be percieving the real you, or neither of us might be. Or we probably both are. Reality and fantasy depending on our point of view.

I love these brain-twisting topics.....
Old 06-21-2002, 04:03 AM   #45
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

Have you have a dream where you touched something, felt it smelled it or enjoyed the sweet taste of it? In the morning when you awoke, were all these things real or not?
Oddly enough I never have, the only two of my senses that are active in my dreams are sight and hearing. I don't think that I've ever smelled, felt or tasted anything in a dream, or then again I might have, but just imagined that I didn't. In fact I might have thousand of other senses active that are pumping extra information into my brain, but my mind is deleting it from "my reality" because it would be too confusing. Therefore I am presented with this lovely vision of my room's white walls which might in fact be multi-coloured, shimmering and filled with tentacles. If I used all of my senses, but then again they might not be, I might only have these five senses and have everything be as it is.....

But does it matter which of those two it is? Both would produce the same "reality" for me. And if you're perfectly convinced that something does NOT exist, does it then in fact not exist to you? Interesting idea, actually, if you could convince yourself that a wall did not exist and then walk straight through it. Or if you convinced someone else completely that something DID exist, WOULD it exist to them? Of course, humans lack the willpower to override what their senses are telling them enough to do this, if it's possible. Of that I'm sure.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:14 AM   #46
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kakero:
I know I exist but people in this ironwork act as if I don't exist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted by Lennoncook:

What ?? Who said that ??
See what I mean? Nobody knows I exist or not?!

[ 06-21-2002, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 06-21-2002, 06:24 AM   #47
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm posting this, so i exist. Nuff said.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:25 AM   #48
Legolas
Jack Burton

I don't think there's any need to prove your existance. To me, whether I exist or not, all of this is real. If it's real to others doesn't make a difference to me, either it does, or I 'imagine' it does. Either way, I seem to be alive and I believe I'm happy with that.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:28 AM   #49
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

LIES ALL LIES!! I EXIST, SO LONG AS I CAN... er yes well, why am I even posting, I HAVE NO NEED to prove anything, That I know I exist is enough, heres a question for you, PROVE you EXIST! MWHAHHAHA!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:19 AM   #50
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Conan matey!! Donīt take it to seriously! Let go of the razors dude! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Wolfie don't worry ... just trivial working accidents.
Always cut away from yourself when useing a drywall knife