Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 08-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just watched this movie last night.Something I thing everyone should watch .It really makes you think about the violence in this country,and what we can do about stopping it.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

As long as you don't think for one moment that it's actually a documentary, I've seen some EXTREMELY harsh review of it, and most americans I know who've seen it hated it.

here's one that is rather succinct and to the point

I said as much as I wanted to say about Michael Moore in the previous 'Reaching for Conclusions' err, I mean 'Bowling for Columbine' thread.

A quick recap, Michael Moore has opinions that differ greatly from my own. He makes [sarcasm]documentaries[/sarcasm] that include [sarcasm:severity_level=1000]facts[/sarcasm] which he [sarcasm:severity_level=system_limit]carefully researches[/sarcasm] and crafts together into [lie]highly educational films[/lie].

Woo, that doesn't sound right. Moore uses dramatic license, fabricated situations, and lies of omission to create "documentaries" that promote his own political agenda (or at least the political agenda that happens to currently be popular in Hollwood) so that he can get money and awards and attention that he could never receive by doing legitimate film making.

His 'mockumentary' winning an Oscar was a slap in the face to all of the legitimate documentary makers who were up for the same award. 'This is Spinal Tap' was a truer documentary than BfC.

I was wrong. I did have more to say about it... all bad.

[ 08-21-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:06 PM   #3
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

We all have our opinions and I like what he has to say.I've read his latest book and have passed it on to friends who also loved it and they intern pass it on.I think we need more people to make us look at whats going on and maybe it will inspire a few to do something positive about whats going on in the world today.Now if only they would recall Bush!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:47 AM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

"Michael Moore is a liberal who behaves like a conservative" and I like that.
Why:
the first and foremost thing I dislike about liberals is that they can't state any opinion without "I of course apologize to people who will differ with me and who I might have offended by the choice of my words but I think we all understand that it was well-meant and necessary to act that way". The hell with that. Michael Moore makes satirical movies which tell us his opinion right away and don't get into defensive position. Of course he is naive and exaggerates a lot but this is necessary to get the common viewers attention to the issues he promotes. You can like or dislike him at least his flicks aren't as boring as others which "try to convey a social message".
Old 08-26-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

I guess it all depends on your political leaning whether you like the film or not.

At the Internet Movie Database site it seems that on average, it is pretty well rated... 8.8 out of 10.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0310793

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

<font color='white'> I am waiting for the Michael Moore Hate's America documentary.

Its not the fact that hes a socalist that bothers me. Its the fact he thinks he speaks for the common man that bothers me. </font>

[ 09-02-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
<font color='white'> I am waiting for the Michael Moore Hate's America documentary.

Its not the fact that hes a socalist that bothers me. Its the fact he thinks he speaks for the common man that bothers me. </font>
Actually his next movie is called Fahrenheit 911: When Freedom Burns, so something like that. It is going to be about the extensive ties between the Bush and Bin Laden families. Unless he 'dies' of a heart attack first...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:38 AM   #8
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

<font color='white'> I wasn't talking about Moores next 'documentary'. I was talking about the flim that debunks Moore.

www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com </font>
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Faceman
Hathor

It IS true that Moore is using dishonest editing in some parts of the film. But sadly his opponents do the same to disprove him. Many of the points that are listed on several Anti-Moore pages are issues where these people only disagree with his point of view. Some however do not paint a very glorious picture of Mr. Moore. Regardless of all this his movie addresses issues that have to be discussed in modern America as well as in Europe.
I don't think it's right to applaude Moore without critique and assimilate his point of view but I also do not think that you can say: "He's a filthy liar because these 3 minutes of the film are dishonestly edited" and therefore just discard everything else that movie shows.
The US may be a great country but every country as great as it may be has its issues and it would be wise to determine and face them instead of just looking away and saying: "It's soooo cool here. Nothing bad can happen"