Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-02-2003, 11:07 PM   #61
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

I'd rather be tried by any other beak than
1.Malaysian
2.Thai.
3.Saudi Arabian.

Pffft, they're all soft as kittens. You just have to make 100% certain that you're born wealthy and influencial is all [/QUOTE]And not a westerner...

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-02-2003, 11:08 PM   #62
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
I have to agree Yorick.
You know all is lost when you haven't even entered the courtroom and you hear the words .....
"bring in the guilty bastard".

By all accounts, once executed you have the right of appeal.
So I hear.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-03-2003, 06:38 AM   #63
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Fair enough. I can't speak for terrorists or children. The ECHR or whatever it is doesn't come into play for armed robberies or other criminal cases committed in England. I never saw em in a court with me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd still rather be tried under an English Beak than any other. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well, the terrorists aren't the ones I was worried about - the problem with the terrorist legislation is not that it makes it easier to arrest terrorists but that it is easier to arrest pretty much anyone on no evidence and hold them indefinately. Its a bit like Stop and Search, but with prison involved quite a lot more.

The ECHR works on a "fireman" principle - they don't take any active interest in the legal process, they just wait for people to complain (or call "fire", as the analogy goes...). So they only really work for people who know about them. Blair's done quite a good job on that count, whilst we have human rights now in Britain for the first time ever (theoretically), no one knows about them which means no one can exercise them.

I admit, there are a lot of worse places around the world, but I think people get complacent sometimes about how bad Britain really is. Thats the only reason I'm still going on about this! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe