Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 09:30 AM   #21
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Note that the Dex bonus to Thaco is only for ranged weapons... A mc F/C or R/C is a lot less work than messing around with the dc, and makes the party stronger at all points of the game... I believe you'd come around to my way of thinking, Nick, if you'd play on insane for a while. Access to cleric spells throughout the game is of much more value overall than a better fighter... the multiclasses don't actually lose a lot of mulching power.
Lots of good points in your post, Aerich. Yes, I freely admit that I am still swimming in the kiddy pool, and that my advice would certainly change for Insane. I know that I would definitely do an MC F/T, and probably an MC R/C, F/C and/or F/D, since the ever-increasing THAC0 of the MC Fighter eventually does swamp out the stacked PP advantages of the DC at very high CLVLs, for the hardest targets you will encounter.

Agreed: the MC *is* less muss and less fuss, and more power in the early game. That is one of the pros/cons to be weighed out. The DC can be a real pain to plan out and execute. I am of the ilk that puts up with the DC disadvantages to get a bit more late game power. And, as I have shown for the DC Fighter, it can be considerably more than the MC. (Again, for a game on Normal difficulty.)

@krunchyfrogg and ister --> Yeah, ister is right and the manual is wrong. I think this is a bug, because 5PP is so very sweet; but 4PP is almost worthless, except as a stepping stone to get to 5PP. It makes much more sense to have the ApR split out over the two levels; but Black Isle did not do so, even though they evidently intended to.

I picked an F(17) because that is about the level I would expect an MC Fighter/whatever to be near the end of an IWD/HoW/TotLM game on Normal difficulty.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Thanks to all who jumped into the DEX/STR effect on THAC0 conversation.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-31-2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote