Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2001, 03:05 AM   #11
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Morgan was twelve, and this fair was a right-of-passage for him. He was secretly glad that his father was away, and that Perin had to come to take him. Perin was a legend, walking among men. He knew that this time, Perin would not hide the truth from him. He might finally hear the history of his family’s oldest friend.

“Why don’t you wear your weapons?” he asked the tall, dark elf . Perin rarely rode a horse, but seemed to be holding himself back, waiting for Morgan’s ride to keep up. Even when he looked up at Morgan, there was a presence in his face. His voice was full of command, so unlike the other elves who visited the town.

“Let me hold on to my illusions, just one more day.”

“How can you wish to be anything but the soldier? You are a legend! You have a name that people whisper. Everyone knows you. They know your deeds, and your past. People watch you. How can you not love that?”

Morgan’s childish enthusiasm grated on Perin. He loved the young man, but wished he had been home longer, had tempered the youth’s thoughts. He didn’t want to repeat the mistake he had made with Morgan’s father.

It was time to talk to Morgan. It was time to teach him.

He needed to learn fear.

“We’ll camp inside the tree line tonight, and finish out walk tomorrow. Gather wood for the fire, Morgan.”

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-29-2001, 03:08 AM   #12
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

After dinner, the fire glowed with warmth. Morgan looked around him excitedly. It was as he had always imagined it.

“Will you let me meet the soldiers?” He asked, “I want to show them what I can do.”

“Why?” The fire warmed Perin’s feet, and set his bones to aching. His old scars and battered limbs hurt at night, when he was tired.

“I want to soldier, like you and father.”

“Why would you?”

“It brings you glory, it makes my father’s name proud.” Morgan looked puzzled.

Silently, Perin tugged his leather tunic over his head. Fine lines crossed his torso like a web, over his chest and back. He moved toward Morgan, and let the fire send shadows across his disfigured face and body.

“This is what it brings, not glory. Scars and pain, boy. Battle only brings scars and pain. A soldier is born to meet death. He only escapes it when it claims him.

Forget this stupid idea. Your father sent me to make sure you followed your path. I’m sending you to learn at the school. We want you to be a great man.

You won’t repeat our mistake.”

Morgan said nothing. He had seen the scars before. He had heard his father and Perin planning his life. He knew that they wanted Morgan to live a life of peace. He knew that he would never win an argument with Perin, but he did have a trump card. He played it.

“You hate war. You always speak to me of the horror. Then, how can you live in it, always?”

“I failed. I failed your great-grandfather. He wished me to be great, among elves and men. I turned on him, and failed. I am a soldier, nothing more. A hunter, who has never found his prey.”

“You’re going to tell me of Jared, my great-grandfather, aren’t you?”

Perin’s face softened. He loved this boy, and the man he reminded Perin of.

“Yes, yes I am.”

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 04-29-2001, 03:41 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Good stuff! The portrait of Perin at the end of each tale really helps me visualize as well.

Keep it going!

------------------
Old 04-29-2001, 04:19 AM   #14
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

just wondering, from a legal stand point. when you post something here under a registered acount. does it become copyrighted? sort of the same way you can prove you wrote something by mailing it to yourself and never opening the envelope?
or do i just sound crazy?

------------------

*Lord of the Screen Shot*
Old 04-29-2001, 04:21 AM   #15
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

I was wondering the same thing...

I've already decided not to post anything I am planning on sending out for publishing, and I remember when I got some poems published, they asked if i had posted them on the Net...

This is just for fun, and practice...

I need to work on my editing...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 04-29-2001, 11:26 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Bumping this so others can read some excellent work by RudeDawg.

------------------
Old 04-29-2001, 01:47 PM   #17
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Now you are on a roll RudeDawg! Good background and descriptions! Sure is keeping me interested! I hope you continue it?

------------------
Old 04-29-2001, 06:41 PM   #18
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It is wonderful, Rudi! Please post more. You really have to now, you can't leave us all hanging.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (found what I was waiting for)
Official Party Planner and Events Coordinator of the Moon's Hope Inn
Proud Member of the Ladies Guild
GMDLM

Old 04-29-2001, 07:16 PM   #19
Stealthy

Excellent RudeDawg and to answer your earlier question, its fine, stories have always been popular on this forum. Keep it coming!

------------------

My doctor told me to eat more, but all this spam hasn't helped.

Click here for the album site.

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH
Old 04-29-2001, 10:26 PM   #20
Draconia

I really like your story RudeDawg. It's great.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen