Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 12-10-2001, 11:33 PM   #1
SeaGull
Welcomed New User

HEllo...currently my characters are in about their 9th or 10th level. Right now, i am about to enter the mine after the swamp.

Do you think i should level up my characters some more ? I have a big time difficulties beating monsters. I cant even beat 4 giant spiders!! Those spiders hit really hard; about 30 damage per hit !! Do i suck or what ?

Thanx
SeaGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:48 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

naaah. you don't suck. but you might want more practice.

LOL! i am Level 11-12 for my group and i am just now going into the Swamp! i especially stayed in trynton for a long time, so that i could take on several battering hogars (350 hps each) at the same time, along with 6 or 7 widowmaker spiders (100 hp each?) and rounded out by varieties of walking flowers (50-75 hps each).

i think it's important to know how to use my melee with my ranged and casters. knowing how to deal with all the different resistances and junk like that.

it takes me a while till i am comfortable enough and know my chars enough to know exactly how much i can push them. knowing if one gets axed, who can pick up the slack till the dead one can be rezzed. y'know, that kinda stuff.

none of that is determined by level tho.

if you don't think you're ready, don't go on. spiders should be the easiest thing on your list of things to kill. besides, you can be looking for the ingredients to the custom peices that antone makes.

hey, with all those spiders you run into, you got any extra silk? [img]graemlins/happyteeth.gif[/img] i can't find any for the life of me.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:12 AM   #3
judee
Dungeon Master

Don't the enemies reflect the party level no matter where you go?

I remember when I went back to the Monastery to open the wheel door, I ran across some bats with 120+ hp each! Lol, they must have buffed up while I was gone!

judee
judee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 02:37 AM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

that's what i thought, too. however, i am running around the swamps now and everything is like sooooo easy. i get surrounded by a dozen millipedes at 70hp each, and they are so dead inside of 2 rounds.

i think what it is, is that the worst case scenario baddies reflect your level. i'm running around looking for Steelhide, so we will see when i get him.

it may have something to do with your playing selection, too. i'm on normal.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It seems to me that preset encounters are the same regardless of what level you are. Most random or randomized encounters reflect your current level, however.

For example, if you go back to the Monastery when you are high level (I did when my characters were in their twenties), you will see changes in the kind of monsters that are generated to a degree. While there, I fought Stalker Seekers, perhaps Greater Seekers, huge red slimes, Metallic Slimes, and a few powerful bats and roaches. But a Greater Demon never showed, up. Some puny Green Slimes - the same slimes that appear when you are level one - did still appear, however.

So I think it works this way: each area has a set type of monsters that can appear there, ranging from relatively weak to relatively strong of that type. If you are low level, you usually get the weaker versions, and if you are higher level you usually get the stronger versions. You also get purely random encounters within the monster pool. Regardless, you will never get a Green Slime on Ascention Peak. [img]smile.gif[/img]

To respond to the original post, I'd say that if the fights are too hard and you're not enjoying yourself, you should back off and spend more time elsewhere. You can reach up to level 50 in this game, so take your time and enjoy each area until you are ready to move on.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

The fights in this game can be hard at times. Sometimes you may even have to run away. I think the swamp at level 9 to 10 would be difficult. I did not reach it until I was about 10 to 12. Your problem with battles might be that your party does not fit your playing style. I know I had to restart the game because I did not like the first party I made. With Party #2 I am very happy and things are going nicely.

Veselle
Silk, what silk. The only silk I have seen is the stuff the spiders shoot at me. They are never nice enough to leave some behind after I kill them. Very inconsiderate if you ask me.

BTW - Mr. Steelhide is a sneaky one. I almost missed finding him.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:12 PM   #7
SeaGull
Welcomed New User

Thank you all for your kind response and tips...i battle better now, but i really hate those nightmare's rears...lol...my characters are killing each other.... thanks again..
SeaGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:05 PM   #8
vesselle
Hathor

~~maskedfrog~~

yah. it's the last ingredient i need for the plate armor antone will make for my faerie mage.

so, i welcome all spiders. i am running around the swamp and front of the mines looking for them. i have killed easily 40 of them, and no silk yet. ::sighs::
Old 12-11-2001, 09:10 PM   #9
vesselle
Hathor

quote:
Originally posted by SeaGull:
Thank you all for your kind response and tips...i battle better now, but i really hate those nightmare's rears...lol...my characters are killing each other.... thanks again..

have you tried using "soul shield"... that seems to work with me. at least i think that's the one that protects you. i keep so many shields up that i confuse them sometimes.

it's the one you can't put up just to walk around, you have to be in combat for it to work. so i have my priestess fire it up first, then bless next. seems to keep us civil. LOL. that attack is hilarious when you throw it on the baddies, but NO FUN when they reciprocate. LOL!
Old 12-12-2001, 09:42 AM   #10
Virgil
Dungeon Master

I found the swamp to be a majorly annoying area, when I first went through at level 10-11. Every monster in there spits poison of some sort. For some reason, brainless creatures like millipedes know to form a firing line, a rather precise military formation.

Then the bloodsuckers, they're nasty. I ended up running from them a few times.

And whatever you do, stay away from the Rynjin. They destroyed my whole party with a few spells.

However, there's a nice quest involving Crock that you can do over and over again to get 75000 xp per time. I moved my party from around level 11 to around level 14 by doing it about eight times. You'll know what it is when you get there.

SPOILER

Steelhide lives in a hollow log. When you're leaving Crock's house, turn south on the road (at the T, not towards the southeast wilderness) and you should find him (or he'll find you). He has a lot of hit points, but isn't too hard to beat.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote