Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2001, 03:47 PM   #1
steelcow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Early to Mid-Game SPOILER ALERT ...

NPCs - They're always leaving my party, and it's really starting to piss me off somethign fierce. I put in all this hard work training and equipping an NPC only to find out that they won't travel to the Sea Caves or step into the Rapax Castle.

I've gone through or encountered a number of NPCs, and I hoped someone would be able to suggest one that might travel the world with me. Here's a small list of NPCs I've encountered, hoping that you might be able to add to this list if I missed any:

Miles, Rogue (Arnika)
Vi Domina, Valkerie (Arnika)
Marven(?), Gadgeteer (Trynton)
Urq, Psionic (Arnkia Mook Base)
Savant Trooper Robot, Monk (Mine Tunnels)
T'Rang, Samurai (Mine Tunnels)
Saxx, Bard (Umpani Base Camp)
Sparkle, Ranger (Umpani Base Camp)

Most notably, I've spent some quality time traing and improving Urq only to find out that he doesn't like travelling to 1/2 the entire worldscape (including the Umpani Basecamp and subsequent tunnels). Vi is a great addition, especially with some quality spears I've located; but she leaves the party at Rapax Castle and Bayjin...

I'm sick of it!

Now, I've never actually RECRUITED some of the NPCs I've listed above, but this list completes every NPC I've found that was in fact recruitable. I've never recuited Sparkle because the annoys the living sh*t out of me; I've never recruited the T'Rang because I was doing business with the Umpani at the time (wasn't sure if they'd notie a T'Rang in my group); and I've only held onto the Robot Monk long enough to acquire Urq.

Can anyone suggest to me NPCs that will stick with me for the duration, or at least mid-to-late game NPCs that I can start building now and will hang with me until the game closes. I don't want to waste anymore of my time on NPCs that won't follow me into important destination.

Hopefully there's a Ninja available somewhere ... Maybe a fighter?

Grrrrr... I'm so sad.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:18 PM   #2
John Doe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, from what I know and read (as I didn't recruit some of them either), is the RFS-81 the only NPC who will go anywhere with you. And even he is supposed to have a (little) area where he won't go. All other NPC shy away from important mid to late game areas.

There a tricks to get them there nevertheless, though!
In that case, so much may be revealed, will they suffer some temporary loss of their skill capabilities while they're in these areas.

You may find out how to get them there yourself. Otherwise I or someone else will tell you.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:27 PM   #3
Skrewloose
Dungeon Master

The Android never leaves your party, so you're safe with him.

Madras, the Trynton Gadgeteer also only leaves at the Rapax Castle (I believe), so he's pretty good too.

You can get around it by setting a portal inside their 'hated' areas, and going back, picking them up and then teleporting back into the area. But be aware the NPC's will be at a reduced capacity (basically under a hex spell) while they are in the bad area. At least they will get the exp you earn in the area, though.
Skrewloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:34 PM   #4
John Doe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So you spoilt him [img]smile.gif[/img]

The RFS-81 is supposed to leave at the northern wilderness clearing when the rapax have set up their camp there. From what I heard.

The Rapax Rift is quite a huge part of the game, so Madras isn't that much better than the other guys/girls.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:39 PM   #5
steelcow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh -- I came across 'teleporting' a character into a zone when I first picked up Urq and Portaled back to Umpani Base Camp.

Urq really, really got annoying saying things like, "I'm really uncomfortable being here."

I might go back and pick up the robot if what you're saying is true.

No way I'm grabbing a Trynnie. Those little hamster-bastards annoy the living hell out of me. I think they only way they could be more annoying is to put them all in little clown outfits or something.

Any word on whether to expect more NPCs along the way or not?
Old 12-10-2001, 06:58 PM   #6
Morgalas Everhate
Dungeon Master

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...&f=15&t=000369

check this post out
Old 12-10-2001, 07:43 PM   #7
Skrewloose
Dungeon Master

Yup, there's actually quite a few more later on, but I hate getting rid of folks I've had with me for so long. Plus, I have a feeling that their skills will be woefully underpowered by the time I find them, as I'm taking everything slow (didn't kill Nessie (this time!) until level 18)

Madras isn't annoying at all!! I keep wishing he would talk more, for a Trynnie, he is downright Anti-Social!!!

JD - I haven't been to the Northern Wilderness, but thanks for the heads up! (yes, I'm a spoiler...oops! and a slow typist!)

It is VERY annoying when they leave, one of the few things that I don't like about the game. I understand that they're staying true to their role, but if Vi is trying to save the world, I think she could overcome her fear of fish or whatever is keeping her out of Bayjin!
Skrewloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 01:56 AM   #8
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Just a note, both Vi and Madras will leave if you go to the sea caves from the swamp. Vi has a phobia about a "sea monster" from when she was little ( like there would be a sea monster in Wiz 8 [yes, I know that I am being sarcastic ] ) and Madras claims that the Rynjin eat trynnies for food. It might be fun to actually find a way to get him into the sea caves or onto Bayjin. I want to see him really get eaten. No, better take Sparkle there instead. I really want to see her get eaten.

Knarfling
Old 12-11-2001, 11:44 AM   #9
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think NPCs are largely a waste of time and experience with a few exceptions. If you find having them along is fun or useful, then go for it.

That said, you can take NPCs wherever you like, even if you don't have Set Portal/Return to Portal. If they have a stamina regeneration item on them, remove it and run them until they pass out. Then enter the area. Ignore their complaints and don't count on them to perform because their abilities take a nosedive. As has been mentioned, they still get experience.

There is one small area, however, that no NPC will go, and it's important that you let them leave when that time comes.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:32 PM   #10
spoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I dont even have the game but- what happens if you kill the person that wont go to an area. Then go to it and res.. do they leave or what?
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote