Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 11:38 AM   #1
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does anyone have any information on importing characters from Crusaders of the Dark Savant into Wizardry 8? I've reloaded Bane and Crusaders recently and have starting replaying them in preparation for Wiz 8.

Also, does anyone know if you will be able to swap characters in and out of your party in Wizardry 8?
Eldurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:05 PM   #2
Serath
Manshoon

You can import characters from Wiz 7, but they come into the game with their stats toned down a bit. Characters from Wiz 6 will not be able to be imported. Characters can be swapped, dropped, picked up. Same with NPC's that you can recruit (you can have 2 in your party). Apparently, starting a new game without importing characters will give you a story scene that you would not get if you import. The story is supposed to be pretty good eye candy.

Serath
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
Serath
Manshoon

Oh yeah. I should mention that there is a list of equipment and items that will be allowed to be imported into Wiz 8 as well. Sir-Tech hasn't shed anymore light on that subject however. The list is strictly confidential. They have said however, that items that have been modified by game editors will not be imported. Tsk, tsk. Bad gamers, bad!

Serath
Old 03-16-2001, 12:35 PM   #4
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the information. Sounds as if it might be worth it to play Bane again, import to Crusaders, and then import to Wizardry 8.

Oddly enough, however, I like the character creation process so much that I usually end up making new characters to play. Having the importing characters will be fun just to see the differences.

On a side note, does anyone know if the apprenticeship paradigm means that you can't "roll the dice" for hours to get a great character or just that you don't have to?
Old 03-16-2001, 01:07 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I plan to do both (import characters from Crusaders AND start a new party in Wiz 8). Why miss out on all the fun?

AFAIK, the Creation Editor will allow the general "rolling", but will let the player skip this in favor of an easier method if they wish. The emphasis is on customizability of the creation environment.

I definitely liked WW's character creation method...it was a lot easier. I got some very high stat characters with just a few re-rolls, compared to hours and hours of that ridiculous Wizardry 7 method (sometimes 30+ rolls just to get a bonus figure in excess of 16, and forget trying to get 20 or more!) If you wanted heavy-duty characters at the beginning of Wiz 7, you'd have to prepare to sit for at least a couple of days on it. That, to my mind, was ridiculous: if you want to play a certain character combination, make it easy to get, and put the "hard" part on levelling, etc.!

Well, that was a holdover from the "D&D" mindset, actually. Fortunately, in the past decade, CRPG's have gotten away from "Gygaxism" and have made the gaming interface much easier to work with.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:09 PM   #6
Serath
Manshoon

Hmmmm, I'm not sure about that one. I have played Sir-Tech's Jagged Alliance series (great turn based squad strategy) and you can create your own custom mercenary. When creating this merc, you are given base attributes and then are given so many additional points to add/subtract from those base points. I'm not sure if Wizardry 8 will be like that, but that's what it sort of sounds like. Sir-Tech has said that character traits will automatically increase with use, which I like. You can perform different actions that will contribute to upping one or more of your traits. I wouldn't be surprised if it is based on the character advancement in Jagged Alliance 2, because they sure sound similar to me.

Serath
Old 03-16-2001, 01:34 PM   #7
Moni

Does anyone know if in Wiz 8 that characters will LOSE points in abilities if their roles aren't played accordingly?
That was one of the things I liked about the game...being made to play your character smart.

: )
Moni
Old 03-16-2001, 02:42 PM   #8
Serath
Manshoon

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that one Moni. If you didn't play the character role, like not picking locks with the rogue, his/her lockpick skill would not advance. I don't know if you would lose any points for not using a trait though. Something to ponder.

Serath
Old 03-16-2001, 03:18 PM   #9
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Moni, do mean (for example) playing a Lord and then acting evil? I, too, would like to see consequences for this. (fun conseqences!)

[This message has been edited by Eldurin (edited 03-16-2001).]
Old 03-16-2001, 06:55 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I'd like for once to see a "Black Knight" or "Dark Crusader" role... you had to fight one of those as a Boss in Wizardry 6: Cosmic Forge. I agree, there needs to be more versatility in the roles one can play.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote