Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

So it seems like an increasing number of companies have access to my cell phone number, and it's slowly getting a little out of hand, whereby probably half the calls I receive are from someone trying to sell me leg warmers or half-deaf children from Somalia.

I realize there are certain steps you can take to help stem the tide on a landline phone, but does anyone know how I'd go about this on a cell?

By the way, if any of you have amusing telemarketer stories, feel free to post them... I could use a laugh. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well... would you belive that I am going to quote Jerry seinfeld... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
TEL: Hi, would you be interested in switching over to TMI long distance service.

JERRY: Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later.

TEL: Uh, I'm sorry we're not allowed to do that.

JERRY: Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you at home.

TEL: No.

JERRY: Well now you know how I feel. [Hangs up]
I love that scene, so tactful...

[ 02-18-2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Start asking them what they're wearing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Lady Sedai
Banned User

heheh...I like that, Jorath. Think I'll use it on the next one calls my house!

I'd have to do some research for the cell phone issue, but I can say from personal experience that having a private number AND Privacy Director is not helping my land line. I'm going to have to put that on the "No-Call List". I get around 3 to 5 calls daily and have started the habit now of (literally) logging the calls (when they call and how many times from what company). EACH TIME they call I warn them to quit calling my home.

In one month, I had approximately 45 calls from ONE company alone when I was just letting them get the answering machine.

So now...I log and I warn and I will next be recording them calling and me telling them NOT to call back so I can report them.

jerks

If I find something on the cell phone issue, I'll post it up here for you, Alex. Until then...best thing I can suggest is you answer, make it brief and tell them to quit calling your cell phone and wasting your air time unless THEY want to start paying your bill.

It may not be true, but it might make them think twice before calling you back.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to be more diligent about programming your phone with all the numbers of those who *should* be calling you so you won't answer a number that is unknown to you.

Plus, if you have voice mail, just let a number you aren't familiar with go to voice mail. If they leave a message and you know who it is, call them back. If not or no message is left, you know they were probably a sales call.
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First things first... put your number on the don't call list.

Next thing... when you get the call, ask for the company they work for and their location. Then tell them to put you on their don't call list, and if they call you again, you will contact your state's attorney general to register a complaint against them. Some company recently paid something like US$100 million in penalties for not following the don't call list.

Explain to them that they're calling you on a mobile phone, which is a violation of federal laws. Ask for their contact information so you can pass it along to the attorney general.

If that doesn't work, you can have fun with them. Ask if your bankruptcy would prevent them from providing you credit on the purchase. If they ask what kind of bankruptcy, tell 'em you've read the whole book -- chapter seven, chapter 11, chapter 13...

Ask if they can provide it to you while you're in prison, 'cause while you weren't guilty of that manslaughter charge, they're keeping you locked up until the trial.

Whatever they're offering, tell 'em you've got one that's better. Mortgage? I've got a 1% rate... top that. "Performance" enhancers? Your brother in law is a drug rep, and he gives you all his extra samples.

There's also the police whistle next to the phone...

You could also tell 'em you're the janitor and can't make those decisions. Or you just stole the phone, and you've got to split before the cops come.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Lady Sedai
Banned User

oh...there *is* a no-call list for cell phones, Bungleau? I knew there was one for land lines...a national one that you pay $5.00/3? years for.

But I didn't realize they'd done one for the cell phones.

And just one thing to note, guys...asking the company *itself* to put you on *their* "no-call" list is a waste of time, imo. They don't log that stuff and they DON'T remove you from their calling list from what I've been able to tell. So unless you record the call and TELL them you are recording it, there's no way to *prove* you told them to take you off their list. They'll wait a little while, then start calling you again.

If there *is* a National no-call for cell phones, then WONDerful. [img]smile.gif[/img] I shall be listing mine on there, too.

Have you a link to such? If not, I'll go find it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Oh...and LOL@SomeGuy and even MORE so @ Bungleau...

*jots these down for dealing with the jerks when they call me*
Old 02-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Wow, thanks a lot Brenda and Bungleau, that certainly gives me something to work with. I'll be sure to get myself onto that no-call list as soon as I can.

Ordinarily, this whole situation might be okay, but tonight really was the icing on the cake. I'd arranged for my friend Stanley to give me a call; he's from the Caribbean but studying up here in Maine for a while. So my phone rings, and I, thinking it's him, pick it up and go "wa guan, erytin ari?" in my best Jamaican accent, only to find out it's some guy trying to sell me a useless satellite dish.

Gah...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There was a funny post way back. It was about an AT&T call and they left the phone off the hook for 5 minutes, came back, and the telemarketer was still on the line. Then they said something off topic like, "do you guys sell water guns?" or something like that. Do a search for the topic.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #10
Lady Sedai
Banned User

grrr! I'd have been cheesed off, too.

After a bit of researching, this is what I have found for all of us suffering from the malady of "spam calls"...

Article about cell phones and no-call list

And...so that we can add our land lines AND cell phones to the National Registry...

FTC Do Not Call Registry

[img]smile.gif[/img]