Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
darac
Dungeon Master

is 20th level the highest in the game? or is there some xp cup remover?
darac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
SP: What will the XP/level cap be set at and to what extent will the higher/epic character levels be supported?

Ferret Baudoin: There aren’t any epic levels in Neverwinter Nights 2. The game does have 20 levels filled with new feats, spells, abilities, prestige classes, and other things. So if you’re so inclined you can still spend time pondering over the feat and spell lists at level up figuring out the best way to lay waste to all that oppose you.
http://www.sorcerers.net/Main/Articl..._interview.php

Another mention I found was on the Bioware forums where a person was asking the same thing. However, when I tried to link straight to the thread, it instead links to the front page where the list of forums are found. I'll copy a few things they are saying there...

Quote:
I've browsed through the forums for information about this but haven't found anything that satisfies my curiosity. I'm a little disgruntled by the level cap in the game. I feel that if I wanted my character to fight endlessly up to level 80 before completing the game I should be able to, or atleast up to the point where I can reach the max level for my character if i chose to train 4 classes at once. With the level cap as short as it is, I can only max out in 2 classes, either 2 regular classes or substitute one for a prestige class.

Ok, my question is, since there are ways to modify some aspects of the game (mainly the characters stats, gold cheat, party limit cheat, etc) is there a way to remove/increase the level cap in the game OR is there a way to max out the levels of four classes?
Quote:
setting the level cap higher would require an implementation of epic feats, classes and prc's, none of which is currently in the game
even if you could raise the level cap to 100, it'd just be "blank" levels

and this isn't diablo btw
Quote:
D&D's non-Epic level cap is set at 20. At such levels in the typical D&D game most characters would be among the most powerful individuals in the world. And at the cap for epic levels (level 40), characters are just a step below acquiring DIVINITY. Elminster, possibly the most powerful mortal character in the whole of the Forgotten Realms (NWN2's setting) is just level 36.

Most D&D adventures are designed for 5's and 10's. It's just a question of scale.
Quote:
In all honesty, what were you hoping to find? Its been known since very early on in development that nwn2 would have a level cap of 20 just as nwn1 had before it.

Yes in the 2nd expansion some 2 or more years after its release nwn1 got its epic levels, which were either loved or hated depending on your outlook.

The game as it stands right now, will let you to continue to accrue XP IIRC beyond 20... however there is no continuation of skills beyond the 20th lvl at this time, best as I can tell.

There are some holdover epic feats from nwn1 in the game, some work, most dont I think.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...0551&forum=109

[ 02-25-2007, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Just a few comments on Larry's good find:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
setting the level cap higher would require an implementation of epic feats, classes and prc's, none of which is currently in the game
even if you could raise the level cap to 100, it'd just be "blank" levels

and this isn't diablo btw
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is slightly untrue, the game already have several epic feats listed in the game engine which you can, if you are a sneaky bastaid, can add by fooling around with the console commands. Plenty of forums for this. As for classes, there for precious few Epic prestige classes in NWN 1 so I'm not sure you would need them since you already have a multitude of prestige classes going already, and as long as they excist in a Epic: class, your good to go. However, the OC would be pretty dull if you ran around with a level 40 wizard and you had no opposition...
Nope, sadly, Diablo was playable from the start

quote:
D&D's non-Epic level cap is set at 20. At such levels in the typical D&D game most characters would be among the most powerful individuals in the world. And at the cap for epic levels (level 40), characters are just a step below acquiring DIVINITY. Elminster, possibly the most powerful mortal character in the whole of the Forgotten Realms (NWN2's setting) is just level 36.

Most D&D adventures are designed for 5's and 10's. It's just a question of scale.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is also no real D&D epic level catch at lvl 40, they just stopped the lists there and after that you have to use your own head to count out the benefits of yet another level etc. Also, since the Epic handbook for 3+ edition gives you alot of enemies of a CR up to 80, I don't think that you have to quit unless your own imagination stops. For me, who started out playing RPG's that weren't level dependent 20 + levels are not a problem, the flexibility that you like the most starts after level 15. Thats when it starts to get to an interesting high fantasy tale. Before that is just the "glam" and "wannabe" high fantasy .
D&D is high fantasy and IMHO, it should be treated as such as long as the gameplay and story adds to an interesting gameplay. If you like to play farmer John fantasy with pitchforks and mean ol' rats fantasy, there are plenty of avenues for that.

Elminster, Elminster? Oh gawds...
Elminster and Drizzt were sitting in a tree---

Sum summarum, there are epic fan made mods in the making, but in all honesty, wait for the first or second add-on to NWN2 and you will probably have it will full support. It was after all a very well wished for expansion for NWN1.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Keeps it open for an "epic" expansion, I suppose.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

If you want to go higher than stay with NWN 1. ;~) I have never played NWN 2 so I can hardly comment on it...but the higher levels and the tougher challenges are what makes NWN 1 so appealing to me. The persistent world I play on goes up to level 60 with a slew of unique class / ability edits and the DM's are constantly working to keep the game fresh.

Who needs NWN 2 when NWN 1 still has so much to offer (especially when one's computer can't handle it). :~)

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonewarrior:
If you want to go higher than stay with NWN 1. ;~) I have never played NWN 2 so I can hardly comment on it...but the higher levels and the tougher challenges are what makes NWN 1 so appealing to me. The persistent world I play on goes up to level 60 with a slew of unique class / ability edits and the DM's are constantly working to keep the game fresh.

Who needs NWN 2 when NWN 1 still has so much to offer (especially when one's computer can't handle it). :~)

Peace, John.
That's not D&D! And you don't need to keep adding big numbers for something to be "fun" or challenging. It's certainly possible to be challenged without breaking the spirit of the game. I'd say there's even more challenge to be had on low level characters that have weaknesses than level godlike characters with +20 items and ridiculous stats.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Why is it not D&D? It is not like the higher level characters are going against goblins and kobolds. They are facing scaled creatures often as powerful or more powerful then they are.

I am not suggesting low level characters are bad. Instead I am replying to a question which I read as the poster wanting to play a character above level 20. If you wish to continually build low level characters then more power to you. It does not however mean that playing epic or legendary characters is "bad" or "wrong".

I have two level 60 characters on the server and while they can do quite well in many of the "legendary" areas they still struggle in others. It is more about builds (especially saves), party makeup and skill. You know, kind of like playing in a party of low level characters? The only difference is higher levels have better gear and everything is significantly more difficult.

For the record the only +20 item I have ever seen was a Amuelt of Natural Health +20 that is cursed. LOL

Finally, if you only want to play low level characters that is your right. Lucky for you when you post about how much fun you have doing so no one is likely to come back and write something like "That is not a challegne." or "You only play low level characters?" They are much more likely to read what you have to write and be happy you are enjoying yourself.

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

What's not DnD about it? I played PnP DnD back in First ed. rules. Played every day for a year, and had lvl 100 chars. It was supported, and we did it. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how people want to play, that's their own business, some people love to have munchkin chars, while others prefer to RP, including all their chars weaknesses/strengths, including levels. Some have ILR turned on, some off, some turn off ELC, some don't, are any of these games any less DnD on the computer than any of the others? Even with the lvl 60 chars, they are using the same basic rules set, just expanded on a bit. Perhaps what you meant to say was "That's not DnD, in my opinion"? Because in reality, that's all it boils down to, in your opinion, it's not. That's all good, you're entitled to that opinion, but a global statement like that isn't qualifiable. You can't impose your style onto somebody else, no matter how many people you find to back you up. Unless, of course, you are a government, and you have been elected to decide what should be right for us, and what isn't.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's not about wanting to play low level characters. It's about understanding the setting and respecting the rules.

-A level 5 character is skilled. There are quite a few of these, but any king would drool over having them in his army/service
-A level 10 character is legendary. He's got a considerable effect on the world around him. Anyone that has that level of power should be quite proud. There aren't that many such people and they are respected.
-A level 20 character is superhuman. With the right amount of preparation there is nothing he cannot do. In most world there is only a couple handful of these people and everyone has heard of them.
-An epic character is almost godlike. The only thing that can challenge them are the other 2-3 epic characters in their world. They make demon lords look like wimps. Villains of that levels are powerful and have vast schemes and armies. They don't just stand around in a dungeon. These are end game overpowered villain level, you should never get to encounter more than 2-3 of those in your life. Killing them is a massive achievement that will probably have repercussion trough their whole world as plots and loyalties unravel.
-A level 60 player character doesn't exist. It's over the game's cap. The GOD'S AVATARS are less powerful that this. There is absolutely nothing that could challenge them. There is no way you could fill up a dungeon with monsters that level.

Adding extra level is just pure cheese and make no sense, it's just wanting to play with higher numbers. What's next? Are you going to raise Diablo II's level cap to 1000 and make Diablo a grunt type enemy?

[ 02-27-2007, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
What's not DnD about it? I played PnP DnD back in First ed. rules. Played every day for a year, and had lvl 100 chars. It was supported, and we did it. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how people want to play, that's their own business, some people love to have munchkin chars, while others prefer to RP, including all their chars weaknesses/strengths, including levels. Some have ILR turned on, some off, some turn off ELC, some don't, are any of these games any less DnD on the computer than any of the others?
Funny, I don't remember any rules for level 100 characters in the first edition.

If you take tennis, replace the net with an acid pit and the racquet with bazookas, is it still tennis? I think not.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote