Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-17-2000, 01:50 PM   #1
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Yes, a bit off topic, but...

I just came upon this rather startling quote on Daily Radar:

Considering the news that was just released today, there is no future for 3Dfx. nVidia bought all the 3Dfx patents, the name brand, the technology, etc. We don't yet know what will happen to the "Rampage" tachnology, but there's an industry conference call on Monday. We'll know more then.

No more Voodoo line?

Hmm.. what do you folks make of this? I've always had a 3dfx card in my system, and was just getting ready to make the jump to a new video card. (I have a V3 2000 oc'd @ 3000 level)
I wonder what's going to happen with this technology? If nVidia can build a board combining the best features of both chipsets (Voodoo seriies & geforce) this could be most tasty for the gaming consumer.

What are your thoughts on this?
And, what video card do you favor? If your video card was rudely gnawed upon by a worgur, and Jathil came along and handed you $250 and said "go buy yourself a new card, old chap." Which would you choose?
freudianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 01:59 PM   #2
Lily the Ranger

Why, I'd ask you because I haven't a clue.
Old 12-17-2000, 02:11 PM   #3
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

*lol*

Hi there Lily, how are you? I defeated the evil centipede. I just had to use the magic-flip-flop
Old 12-17-2000, 05:16 PM   #4
Orion

I feel the same way.
I've been a 3dfx fan for quite a while. (have a V5 5500 in my system right now and love it)
I was looking forward to some of their new tech. but we'll have to wait and see. I was speculating on a hardware board earlier this morning about the fact that nVidia bought the brand names too. I thought it would be cool if they started selling their PC graphics chips under the 3dfx brand. nVidia has been branching out into a lot of different areas lately, not just in graphics. I doubt that 3dfx's tech. will be able to make it into nVidia's next chip because it's basically done. perhaps down the road... and i also doubt that the Rampage will be released separately (doh!) because it would compete with the nv20. but then i might be wrong on that cuz nvidia can't really compete with itself (duh)
I think that the two companies combining will make it really tough for their competitors (like ATI) to keep up now. Although, if you look at the processor industry there are still two major companies surviving in AMD and Intel.
hopefully things will get cleared up on monday...
Old 12-17-2000, 05:33 PM   #5
xenotoca

3DFX announced some time ago that they were pulling out of the video card market. Their last card, Voodoo 5 was slagged rotten by all the review sites. Problem was the technology it was based on, Glide, was old hat. Nothing new here remember Vesa slots, then there was the soundblaster legacy connector on top motherboards. Trouble was soundblaster stopped making cards to connect to it before it appeared. AGP slots multipliers constantly increasing. ISA slots vanishing and USB periferials abound yet old slot 7 boeards have no USB. Athalon started in slot A now chips only available in socket A and no converter available. No wonder companies, including game companies, are starting to shy away from the PC as you are always playing catchup and they are left with a large store of outdated product. Ram is cheap now as new ram is on the horizon and they need to sell the old stuff quick.

To get good comparisons on various bits of kit try
www.tomshardware.com
Old 12-17-2000, 06:39 PM   #6
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

That's true, but I thought with the emminent release of their supposed cash-cow, the V5 6000, that they would remain afloat for awhile. I wonder what's going to happen to those 4 VSA-100 scales that are supposed to thrash everything? Hmmm....
Old 12-18-2000, 04:13 AM   #7
tritone

For me, I'm just blissfully happy with my Matrox G400Max...
Old 12-18-2000, 01:35 PM   #8
Orion

actually, they licensed their 4 way sli to Qunatum 3D who is now using not 4 but 8 of the VSA-100 chips in some of their high-end graphics work stations (big contract with military simulation type stuff).
the V5-6000 would not really have been a cash cow product from the beginning because a $600 video card is NOT a mainstream product.
The V5 has not gotten bad reviews. It got some pretty bad previews but that was due to bad drivers at the time.
Some sites like sharkyextreme didn't give it great reviews because all they do is look at bench marks and kiss nvidia's butt on every review. A site i respect more, firingsquad.com, gave it a good review and they looked at image quality too, not just bench marks. the V5 can hold its own in speed too. 70 frames per second at 1024x768 in Unreal Tournament on an AMD-750 isn't bad folks. Plus, contrary to what a poster said above, the card is not "based" on glide. It still supports it of course because 3dfx created glide!! It's fully directX 8 and openGL compatible too.
Sorry, I didn't really mean to start ranting like this : ) I just read some things that i've heard other places and that aren't true. Heck! I own the stupid card and a couple of my friends have geforce 2's. I'm not missing anything.
If you're an RPG're especially of 3D rpgs I'd recommend a V5 just for the full-scene anti aliasing. I run W&W at 640x480 d3d. 1. I don't get the blurred text and 2. with FSAA it looks bloody sweet even at that low a res. That's what it was meant for.
OKAY!! I'm done. Back to W&W.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:35 PM   #9
xenotoca

dont get so uptight, i dont even bother with the latest flashiest video card I am using a savage 4 as it was cheap. One good review does not undo the many bad reviews and even if 3DFX has improved the drivers many potential buyers will have been put off and brought something else so will not be buying a Voodoo 5. Result poor sales and 3DFX follows several other well known video card makers to oblivion. You love it others hate it, I for instance cannot stand matrox cards it is all a matter of taste.
Old 12-18-2000, 08:34 PM   #10
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Hmmm.. I've been checking some prices.. the prices on those V5 5500 have dropped like a rock! I need to get a PCI flavored card, and I found the 5500 for $189.. the PCI Geforce2 MX is about $114.. Hmmm...