Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Like father - like son (BG2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Never new there was one - might be usefull because the game keeps crashing ....

links please
Note sure if you found it on your own or if someone hooked you up with a link yet so: www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

They do mention that SoA support isn't assured, but I'm thinking it's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
HAH! Awesome! Show him what a REAL RPG is! hehe..

Just so happens, I pulled out my reallllyyyy old Dell Pentium II 500Mhz, and dropped an ancient nVidia TNT 16mb video card in it, (installed Windows 98) and installed Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate II and Need for Speed 3.

(Can't really even play the first two Thief games on an XP system. )
I was able to run Thief 1, 2 and Deadly Shadows on XP without any issues. Vista is a different story altogether. System Shock 2 works nicely on XP, on Vista it crashes constantly and the videos don't play. I'm hoping it works better on a Windows 7 system.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 10-16-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Merging two consecutive posts.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #12
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Well, my oldest son found and installed BG1 on the laptop and desktop yesterday and is currently working his way through the Nashkell Mines. He also found my BG2 CDs, but I only have 4 of the 5 here. I have another set in the storage unit. I'll pick them up tomorrow.

We've tried getting into EFU, but the server tells us we're missing several files. He downloaded all 3 EFU hakpaks Friday night and (supposedly) extracted them to the right locations, but I'm wondering if the second part happened. I have the latest version of CEP (IIRC) because my former server used that.

I would appreciate any advice or a simple walkthru of what we might be doing wrong. Just post those comments in the EFU thread I started. With any luck, maybe we can spark some renewed interest in the Undermountain.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

All of this reminiscing led my oldest son, Levi, to dig out my Baldur Gate CDs and start playing the game. I've even created a new character myself, but we still have to keep swapping the discs back and forth.

I know I can copy the CDs to my harddrive and avoid all that, but it has been a loooooong time since I've done it and I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

So, what is the easiest, quickest and surest way to copy all the files from the CDs to my harddrive?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Well, with my copy, I just did a full install. Basically checked off everything when it asks what to install. Pretty sure that did the trick for me. Only ever needed disc 1 or the TotSC disc after that. Or was it disc 2? I know it was disc 2 for BG2:SoA.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah just do a full install, placing your saved games somewhere safe and the replacing them back in. Otherwise, there is a trick IIRC to fool the game into thinking you have a full install when in fact, you don't. Google around you may find it (It's been close to 10 years since I played that game).
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Well, Levi was the one that installed the game and I'm pretty sure he did a full install. I just had to put in disc 2 when I went to the Friendly Arms Inn. Maybe that is all I will have to do.

I believe it was BG2 that I actually copied onto the HD to avoid having to swap discs in and out.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #17
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

The BG1 full install is called a "custom" install. You select "custom" and then individually select all items to install. Awkward, I know, but this was in an era when HDD space was critical (for some people). The BG2 full install is, thankfully, called "Full Install".

The reason, I think, that the game asked you for a disk may be the load up copy protection... which can be defeated with a utility like Daemon Tools. But if the game asked you for a disk when transitioning areas, then that sounds like a full install was not done.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 10-20-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Right. A full install for both Baldurs Gate and Shadows of amn either has you using Disk 1 or 2, or TotSC and ToB. Honestly, you already have the game, so a no-cd hack is in no way pirating and such, so I feel alright talking about it.

All it would do is be able to read teh disk without the disk. And then multiplayer to your hearts consent Plus, it's an easy install, and easy altogether program. I do that with the majority of games on my laptop, since I don't like lugging my cd case around.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Since I already have the game installed, will doing a custom re-install overwrite the existing files, including the saved games? Or will it just add the extra files needed to keep from having to put in the CDs all the time?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Not sure about that myself, but to be on the safe side, just make a backup of the saves then drop them back into the appropriate location after the full install.