Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-18-2001, 01:00 AM   #1
Ziroc

What caused that thread to become corrupt was WAY to many posts in that thread. From now on, please keep all threads under 500, and cut the spamming down more, I don't want this server to keep losing posts.

I told you guys that it could crap out at a high number of posts in a thread, guess I was right! Ah well, I had to remove the WHOLE thread because it became totally unstable. (I first tried to close it but that didn't work).

UBB Tech's say threads DO become unstable after 500, so it's not a bug or anything.

Hope you understand,

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Old 03-18-2001, 01:08 AM   #2
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

'Kay, Ziroc... Is there any way to archive it or something? There was lots of good stuff in there and hardly any spam (yes, I read the whole thing seeing as I started it) Whew! BTW, I tried to play the preview of your second StarTrek movie last night and the site you refer to for divX (?) didn't link to the drivers

I'll bookmark this and bump it so it won't be missed... (did you try the holy water? )

------------------
Old 03-18-2001, 01:14 AM   #3
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Okay Ziroc, sorry about that. We'll make sure to keep it under 500. Is the general coversation we have in there considered as spamming? That's a serious question just so you know I'm not being churlish.
Old 03-18-2001, 01:43 AM   #4
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
Okay Ziroc, sorry about that. We'll make sure to keep it under 500. Is the general coversation we have in there considered as spamming? That's a serious question just so you know I'm not being churlish.
Na, General talk is fine, but when you post just to say something like "Spamming" or something like that is.. I just want you guys to ease up on it, I'm not saying stop it or anything, just ease up a bit

Ziroc

Old 03-18-2001, 01:46 AM   #5
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRae:
'Kay, Ziroc... Is there any way to archive it or something? There was lots of good stuff in there and hardly any spam (yes, I read the whole thing seeing as I started it) Whew! BTW, I tried to play the preview of your second StarTrek movie last night and the site you refer to for divX (?) didn't link to the drivers
The entire thread is gone, deleted I had no other choice. It got totally messed up, inside the 1st message page, it said there were only 6 pages!! So something got messed up, and I had to flush it. UGH!

Ziroc

PS:You can download that DivX codec right here:
http://divx.ctw.cc/

Let me know what ya think of the Short movie, I'll add 2 more soon (newer ones).

Old 03-18-2001, 01:55 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I don't think there's any problem at all with general conversations, I think Ziroc's referring to the nonsense type posts that we had a problem with when people were spamming for rank earlier on.

A downside to having really really long threads is that they make it really hard for other people to get involved with anyway. In all seriousness, very few people would go through all the pages to get a feel for what the thread was about. So people just get onto the last page and make a comment unrelated to the thread at all, just to get in on it, then the entire thread loses its meaning and then becomes a whole bunch of random comments and statements (Mind you I'm ONLY talking about my 1000+ thread, the Spammers thread which became just that - I never got a chance to read LadyRae's thread so I'm not making a comment about that ). When a thread begins to make no sense then I think it's fair to say that comments are just being added to it to perpetuate the length of the thread - that is when it becomes spam.

Might be a good idea to start new threads as the topics change substantially - similar to what we were doing on the old board? Keep in mind that 500 is a very big number - that's FIVE times the length of threads we were able to have on the old board, and that's 200 posts more than the biggest threads I've ever seen on other boards.

In short, we can all talk up a storm - that's a GOOD thing! Just keep in mind the board's capabilities - the same way we all did on the old board.

Sound fair?

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-18-2001).]
Old 03-18-2001, 01:58 AM   #7
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Found it! Didn't click on Project Mayo and the other one gives "not found on the server" errors... Nice 2d movie BTW (yep I downloaded all 8 and a half megs -I love Star Trek!) but no sound on Win2k (glad you put in the subtitles!). Looking forward to watching the short... Fantastic screenshots!

------------------
Old 03-18-2001, 02:32 AM   #8
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I agree with you Memnoch, I love our new board with its advanced capabilites and functionality. I will always have a place in my heart for the old board, but this new board is definately da BOMB...ba da bing ba da BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
Old 03-18-2001, 07:34 AM   #9
JJ/newbie

'preciate the info, Memnoch and Ziroc. 500 is alot of posts, and if you don't keep up every day, there's no point. Z, one thing I LOVE about the board is the way it keeps track of where you have been, and what pages you have visited. That feature is a time and effort saver par excellant. A question in regards to thread closing - if you are the one who started the thread, can you close it?
And will closing threads at 500 mean they will still be able to be viewed? Sorry if the Q sounds a little dim, but I am thinking of Vicotnik's joke thread, there is a treasure there from the silly to sublime that I would hate to loose, know what I mean?

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-18-2001, 07:46 AM   #10
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Awwww so sad we lost the original LadyRae's Inn. It was almost like reading a novel! Very fun. And amazing that we all were able to stay ON topic throughout most of it.

A lesson to be learned I guess ~ copy a thread if you are really enjoying it.

And Relic is right, this new board is so much better. Thank you Ziroc for creating it!

------------------

Take risks: If you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise. (new member of TLH)