Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #31
SomeGuy
Unicorn

School starts on Thursday, and they put me in Pre-Algebra... and I SUCK AT MATH!! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 AM   #32
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
School starts on Thursday, and they put me in Pre-Algebra... and I SUCK AT MATH!! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Pre-Algebra? Haha, I'm sorry but I have to laugh Someguy. Anything up to Geometry is easy, it was Algebra II that killed me, but then again my teacher was slightly... off.

I'm looking forward to college, but leaving highschool is going to be tough, seeing everyone leave. I'm going into the Literature, Computer, and Psych fields, so if anyone has any advice for me in those areas, that'd be nice.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:06 AM   #33
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
I'm going into the Literature, Computer, and Psych fields, so if anyone has any advice for me in those areas, that'd be nice.
Read quickly and learn how to BS in an academic way.

Edit: I'm afraid I can't help you with the computers. The one and only programming class I took (introductory Java) was taught by a prof that taught my dad! In Comp Sci!! The guy was a dinosaur that spent half the time talking about how great COBOL was. 70% of his class failed the final (was a joint final with two other sections). The ones that passed did so because they had a significant programming background already.

[ 08-10-2004, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 08-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #34
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
I'll have a car at Eastern (answering TL's question, too), and we will have to find a way. . . . Also, TL, you must have gotten some good scholarships! Either that or you were in debt up to your ears! Centre's tuition is about $29,000, this year, iirc.
Richmond, another fine town. When I was in college, you could still get away with drinking at 18 in Richmond. They'd let 18 thru the door, but only 21+ could drink. Riiiiight. It's a fun little town, enjoy it thoroughly. It's certainly a hookup town. It's also a suitcase college (many students go home on the weekend), so Thursdays are the big party/bar nights.

As for Centre, scholarships + 35 hr/wk work + lots of financial aid = graduation with big debt. But, it paled in comparrison to law school.

But, college education is well worth it, despite the annoying rate of increase. Still, even with today's prices, is there any way you can argue that a college education won't be worth well more than $100,000 over the course of your life?

Ooops, I'm lecturing now. Good luck with your upcoming adventures in college. Remember to study hard and party hard. [img]graemlins/wootrock.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #35
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Up to calculus you are learning things that are immenently useful through the rest of life. Plus, beginning with Algebra, it doesn't matter if you're bad at math -- because it uses letters too! [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kidding.gif[/img] From calculus forward, the things you learn may not be useful in everyday life, but they certainly are key to understanding the ways in which the universe physically works. There are many moments of epiphany along the way -- especially once the math start working back into your science classes. I recall thinking HOW COOL it was when I first understood that acceleration was the derivative of velocity which was the derivative of speed. I say embrace it all, man!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #36
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
There's always IWF, if you need help, Someguy...Heck I'm starting with Calc II, and I didn't find Calc to be all that tough, since I passed my AP test with a four...but anyway...Gangrell, just make sure you keep thinking...those classes require speficic modes of thinking, and they don't always mesh...so, by all means, read read read read, and then read some more...learn and focus on learning the material!

Ummm, are you from Kentucky, TL, or are you from Chicago? Or are you just living there now?

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:55 AM   #37
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Born in East KY, family lives in Danville -- I live in the windy city. You can take the boy outta Kentucky, but you can't take the Kentucky outta the boy. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #38
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Amen amen...let the people rejoice...me and Dron are both from eastern KY...we live along the Ohio river, though...

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about the derivative thing...it amazed me to no end, when I first found out about it! It was another "big life change" for me...discovering a more mathematical way of describing the universe...

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #39
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Rock on, TL! Kentucky boys rule! lol. Yeah, I agree with the college education, which is why I'm not a welder or carpenter, right now. I dunno, I guess I'm not a big math guy, I guess when I look into it more, I might be amazed, but right now, (female) anatomy still seems more interesting. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 11:25 PM   #40
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Amen amen...let the people rejoice...me and Dron are both from eastern KY...we live along the Ohio river, though...
Near the Ohio, so you are near me Ilander. A Kentucky boy, well, as much as you all 'rule' I hate to tell you the city of Louisville near the river doesn't really compliment you all on that little theory [img]tongue.gif[/img] Boys from Indy outdo Kentuckians just a bit I think

Anyway, I do plan on doing that Ilander, but I don't know why people always say 'BS your way through english' when someone plans on taking it. If you do the work, what's the problem?