Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been shopping around for flash drives for the past few weeks in prep for the fall semester to arrive, and I have seen many types. Down the road from me, they have redily available a Memorex and a Sandisk, and a PNY with 256MB each...from $50-$70, depending on the name brand. I have seen a guy with a Sony version before, and Walmart carries an expensive one by order only called a wolverine. I want a key-chain version, but the problem is knowing which one is most dependable and durable. I hear that since there is yet a standard for USB...that many manufacturers make varied qualities of equipment.

I also saw a new Belkin USB hub, 7 port, including two top-loaders, made specifically for a flash drive! Then Five in the back, exactly what I need. $60. Is that good?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

Shame on whoever would scoff at such a well respected Mod.

Check access times on them. Although it may seem like a good deal, waiting for 30min to get your data off or on it is a real pain.

I know that some drives have compatibility issue, mind you those have mostly been worked out by now, and be sure you get one that's USB2.0 at least. Anything less, and you'll be old and gray before the data transfer is complete.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

*scoff* perhaps it is my hacker friends scoffing at you I am not sure really about the item you are asking, so can not be of help, just had to scoff at you [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 10:44 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
*scoff* perhaps it is my hacker friends scoffing at you I am not sure really about the item you are asking, so can not be of help, just had to scoff at you [img]tongue.gif[/img]
You go girl! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 11:48 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

We did a purchase order for this current operation. I can tell you to stray away from the brand that starts with a V and ends with a M, and come in colors. Their compatability between machines is horrendous, fail daily, and do not like the high dry heat of the current environment.

I personally own a Sony "USB 2.0", Fast, 256MB capacity, and very delicate. I carry it inside of a leather pouch, and have still managed to have it seperate on occassion. Seperate= the plastic housing splits from the circuit housing, allowing open board to come into conatct with the environment. Compatability = No issue, Reliability = No issue.

The Grey body with black highlight's brand seems to have an overall good rating. No compatability issue, and appear to have a better constructed body. Downside, USB 1.0 only.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:08 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Oops, didn't see that about the USB hub.

What type of hook-up? Does it just plug into a USB port on your outbound circuit? Does it hardwire into the MB on the open pins for USB?

If it slaves, you will want to slave it from a USB 2.0 port if you have that series. If it hard wires, this can be tiresome if it does not have a 9 pin plug.

$60 for 7 slots? Could be worse. I tink I paid $35 for a 4 port side by side unit that became fabricated into the case. Then there's this dome looking thing that has 6 slots in it, but it's hardwired into the MB, but only cost like $15, but took 20 minutes or so to get the wires straight.

Whatever makes you comfy.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.