Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2003, 02:03 PM   #11
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
But that doesn't mean we further restrict the manufacturers. How much will we nanny people in thier homes? What about all the mutilations with electric saws/drills, broken fingers slammed in doors, electrocutions? How many of these domestic problems are we going to turn around and unload the responsibility for the problem onto the manufacturer of TOOLS. *snip*
Well since you Americans obviously want to be able to have weapons available you don't have to restrict the manufacturers but you could sure as well "restrict" their customers. Leaving firearms, be them loaded or not, or dangerous tools such as electrical saws around when only your children are at home is incredibly stupid! Heck of I'm home alone with my children and decide to go take a shower I put away my kitchen knives, they're just as deadly as guns. Information and training could be used instead of restrictions. Teach people to respect fire arms if they are going to have one at home.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

*pulls some statistics from a website*
Source
Quote:
A recent survey of 236 types of pistols made in the U.S. found that:

only 13% had a loaded chamber indicator

only 20% had a grip safety to make it harder for children to use the gun

only 21% had a magazine safety, which prevents the gun from firing when the magazine has been removed, even if there is already a round in the chamber of the gun

(Annals of Emergency Medicine, Vol 41, p 1)

A recent Emory University study shows that 32% of unintended shootings in the U.S. are caused by deficiencies in gun design. (Annals of Emergency Medicine, Vol 41, p 10)
Obviously we *can* make a better designed gun.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:19 PM   #13
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Well since you Americans obviously want to be able to have weapons available you don't have to restrict the manufacturers but you could sure as well "restrict" their customers. Leaving firearms, be them loaded or not, or dangerous tools such as electrical saws around when only your children are at home is incredibly stupid! Heck of I'm home alone with my children and decide to go take a shower I put away my kitchen knives, they're just as deadly as guns. Information and training could be used instead of restrictions. Teach people to respect fire arms if they are going to have one at home.
I couldn't agree more, though you should know that information and training is widely available.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Yes I seriously expect companies who manufacture dangerous products to include built-in safeguards. Why is that so strange?

Certainly accidents happen and idiots abound. That doesn't change the fact that handguns can, and IMO should have better safegaurds.

I don't see anyone complaining that cars have seatbelts and airbags.

Sure any idiot can decide not to wear their seatblet, or turn-off the airbag, but that shouldn't, and doesn't, stop car manufacturers from designing better safety devices. Following that same logic, although guns have safeties and you can buy trigger locks, that shouldn't stop gun-makers from developing better safeguards for their product.

It is already happening, different technology is being explored to make a safer, yet effective handgun. I'm only advocating that gunmakers keep walking down this path, so incidents like the tragic one this thread is about and others become practically non-existent.
A good and lucid point. I agree wholeheartedly.