Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-19-2001, 10:13 PM   #1
mopko

I just bought Baldurs Gate II Shadows of Amn, and the system requirements on the box are recommended:
Pentium II 266 or faster
64MB RAM
8x CD-ROM drive
i have an:
Amdk 2 6 300
160 megs of ram
TNT2 pci 32 meg video card
24x CD-ROM

but when i run BG2 it runs slowly, i tried it with 3d acceleration on and it seems to run slower, right now i have it set on the lowest graphic level with the 640x480 resoulution and it runs alright until a badguy or two appears then it runs really slow... any ideas about speeding up the game without sacrificing frame rate or music thanks, i also have the latest update.

mopko

Old 07-19-2001, 10:17 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Well it depends on your system and graphics card. Did you do a full install? This helps speed up the game. I have a pretty good machine (Athalon 900mhz, 64 meg RAM, etc....) but the game runs slowly for me sometimes too.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 07-20-2001, 03:22 AM   #3
Ged
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok - you can read the reame.txt and power users.txt files in the games root directory that give good hints on how to speed up the game - one is to turn off footsteps sounds.
The first time I played the game (to Ch 6) I had no problem, uninstalled and added a new HD and PCI card. After re installing the game ran like a dog. A friend suggested to check what was sharing IRQ's - I turned off all unnecessary hardware such as the com ports etc and freed up some positions - now the game is better - its still not as fast but I am running an anti virus and seperate firewall program.
Oh yes its a PII 400 with 196Mb and a decent but PCI video card (no AGP slot) which is hardly the state of the art.
Old 07-20-2001, 03:49 AM   #4
Istaron
Banned User

Acctually, RAM does it all. Mordin has, indeed, a very nice computer except for his terrible low amount of RAM.
I have an Intel Pentium 4, 1400 mhz and 128 mb RAM, and the game still lags after 2-3 hours of gameplay.
RAM is very cheap right now. Buying another 128 mb cost only what BG2 itself cost. I would recomend you to get som of that.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 07-20-2001, 05:10 AM   #5
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

on my celeron 850, 256 mb ram, geforce 2, BG2 still lags (when entering a new area, for a few secs, and when alot of enemies, or spells are onscreen). I went from 128 mb to 256 and saw no real difference. It seems CPU speed is very important to BG2, and to have perfectly smooth gameplay I'd imagine at least a 1 ghz or greater CPU is needed.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:25 AM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I have a P3 500 MHz, 256MB RAM, and a TNT2 Ultra. When there's a lot of spells being thrown around on screen, the action really slows to a crawl. But when the spells are done, the frame rates go back to normal.

Apart from this the graphics are smooth.

Did you know you can set the fps by editing the .ini file? IIRC you can also do it via the BG2config program.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-20-2001, 07:34 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

My setup,

PII 233 MHz

256 MB RAM, used to be 64 MB RAM

24x CD-ROM

Full Install

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:57 AM   #8
Maddog
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just got the game and exp the same issues. My system:

633Pentium
64 meg ram
20x cd

I found if you reduce the frame rate it sppeds up the game, and have removed footstep sounds, and shadows. It seems to be getting better. I may even try the full install tonight.

How can they advertise these minimum requirements when it preforms so poorly on much higher end machines?
Old 07-20-2001, 09:22 AM   #9
Seid
Manshoon

I have a P3 733 mhz 256mb RAM and still have slowdowns sometimes. It also depends on your system. Windows Me sucks big time. Win2k is pretty good. I installed ToB and have slowdowns when fighting multiple big enemies (like fire giants). But I have maximum settings and 3d acceleration and thats very fast for those settings.

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:30 AM   #10
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddog:
How can they advertise these minimum requirements when it preforms so poorly on much higher end machines?
Heh, if you know anything about the gaming industry, know that fact.

They want to reach the most amount of people possible, that's why. Money. It's a well-established consensus now among most gamers that you should never *ever* follow the minimum requirements. Because that is what they are-minimum. Yeah, it'll run, but it may not run really well or pretty