Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #41
Target
Red Dragon

Default Re: Trivia: Sci-Fi

Did they do more than one Wing Commander Movie? Only ever played 1 WC game
ERrrr I'll have a guess at no Luke Skywalker errr Mark Hamill in the movies and no 'Angel' in the games??
That's not likely to be the answer but its all I can think off

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #42
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Heh.. unfortunately, no, Mark Hamil wasn't in the movie (Blair was played by Freddy Prince Jr. instead ). Still, they did go a long way towards turning it into Star Wars.

Regardless, it would appear Wing Commander isn't the most popular sci-fi movie (it was quite entertaining actually), so I'll try another question:

The conflict between The Shadows and The Vorlons (Babylon 5) was as much a philosophical dispute as anything else. What were the most important aspects of their respective beliefs?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 AM   #43
Target
Red Dragon

I remember watching the WC movie a while back, I did like it, thought the music was especially good (or cheesy ) And it had a good supporting cast, with a few really good British actors in (David Warner and David Suchet)
So what were the main differences?

For the B5 question, I’ll have to have a think about it to give a good answer!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #44
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

It was the perfect soundtrack for such a popcorn movie. There wasn't really much of a storyline. Just stuff blowing up in space. I loved it.. well, after I recovered from the initial dissapointment. And yes, David Warner was awesome. But isn't he always?
[Flashback],,You will suffer, you will all suffer.'' [/Flashback]
Have you seen him in Hornblower? He's an even better villains there.

There were a number of points on which the Wing Commander Movie differed with the video-game franchise, but the main one is the introduction of a new sub-race called The Pilgrims, whose sole purpose was to function as a rather lame plot device.

Last edited by Dreamer128; 11-19-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #45
Target
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer128 View Post
The conflict between The Shadows and The Vorlons (Babylon 5) was as much a philosophical dispute as anything else. What were the most important aspects of their respective beliefs?
Lennier said it best in B5:

"Those are diametrically opposite positions" when Sheridan returned from Z'Ha'Dum and explained the reason for the war.

Good vs Evil
Black and White

or in the case of B5:

Chaos (the Shadows) vs Order (the Vorlons) - What do you want? vs Who are you?

In my opinion you can't have one without the other - I think this is where the Grey Council came in... They sought to seek a balance between each side.
Then Lorien appeared and posed another side which out of their selfish interests the Vorlons or Shadows never asked - Why are you here and where are you going? Those questions seek a balance in between Order and Chaos... Life is all about balance...

I once read "somewhere" that the Vorlons were more evil than the Shadows... That the Shadows were perfectly honest in their goals and the Vorlons manipulated us... I'm not sure if I can agree with that as we didn't actually interact with the Shadows, only their Thralls... perhaps that was as insidious as manipulation... in the end by understanding and making our own choices we are free and finding balance.

Too many philosophical questions are raised I think but I do know one thing - JMS is a genius and Babylon 5 is "The Book of JMS"

Thoughts anyone and/or is that all total claptrap...?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ah, I can (to a degree) agree with that last statement. I don't believe The Shadows were more evil than The Vorlons, it was just that their methods didn't agree with us quite so much.
Anyway, the whole concept of the Shadows vs. The Vorlons always seemed a bit silly to me. Since seeking absolutes in the arena of 'order' or 'chaos' is somewhat inpractical, to say the least.

Ps.

That was the correct answer.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #47
Target
Red Dragon

Haha, I'm glad it was the right answer, could have let to a longer discussion
Ok on what show, did a 'super' computer take over a ship just because it was curious about something, and what was its name

Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #48
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

That happened on most sci-fi shows I've seen.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #49
Target
Red Dragon

Ha ha!!! oh dear yes, I was in a hurry, maybe I should add some more info.
OK this 'super' computer is curious about a black hole because it does not emit x-rays. This computer than takes control of the ship and heads into the black hole.
Hope that helps

Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #50
Target
Red Dragon

This ship was crewed by 7. (including computers). That might help.