Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Azeral
Manshoon

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7885

have a look at the transfer speed if you dont already know what they are.
I am thinking that i might put off my new computer untill they release PCI Express.
what do you people think of the transfer speeds. I belive that they are a little bit better than 133MB/s for standard PCI ports.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah that sounds good,
Also normal 8x AGP cards will come down in price so that will be pretty good too, but 16x will be amazing.
Any specs on these cards out yet?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I just got done reading about this yesterday. It definitly seems to be the future of things, but from what I gathered that it is so far advanced it will be some time before its technology will actually be utilized that it makes a difference.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

A geforceFX designed for AGP8X and refitted to run on PCIexpress will run the same as it did on AGP. But it will cost more. It will take some time for hardware that can take advantage on PCI express to appear, so theres no real rush to upgrade.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Azeral
Manshoon

when PCI express is releaced Nvidia will release a card that can utalise the 16x port. but i have only heard of one company doing that and it isnt going to be the top of the line card anyway.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Gammit
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
I just got done reading about this yesterday. It definitly seems to be the future of things, but from what I gathered that it is so far advanced it will be some time before its technology will actually be utilized that it makes a difference.
Exactly. The moral is to wait.

For example, people are rushing out now to buy serial hard drives, when today's hard drive technology cannot even take full advantage of the old interface hardware (parallel) yet! Most hard drives cannot even begin to spin and seek data fast enough to take full advantage of ATA 66, much less ATA 100. So why plunk down the money for serial ATA? It's like owning a brand new Farrari only to drive it through a residential zone with a 35 mph speed limit.

In addition, people using 8x AGP report everything from a performance decrease to a MARGINAL difference when compared to 4x AGP. So why bother? Most people will buy this stuff in hopes of having the foundation laid so that they can only do small-part upgrades in the future... but by then, the price of this new technology will have dropped considerably. For me, I'm sticking with my computer until the other bottleneck technology catches up.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:11 AM   #7
The Fallen One
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
A geforceFX designed for AGP8X and refitted to run on PCIexpress will run the same as it did on AGP. But it will cost more. It will take some time for hardware that can take advantage on PCI express to appear, so theres no real rush to upgrade.
yeah. im gonna wait for like a year or two, and then probably get a pci express. It will be much better than gettin a first gen pci express card. Besides, i already have a decent card (GeForce FX 5600 128mb DDR AGP8x)
Old 03-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #8
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

from what i've heard pci express graphics cards should be cheaper than our current top of the line cards and i'm talking good cards too (as in 512 ~ 1024 meg ddr video ram) at the equivelant of 16x AGP that is really good, but that will be a while down the track to be effectively utilized still it will be cool.