Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Dobian
Dungeon Master

I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks, and am finally posting something...I just started playing BG a week ago, and am currently clearing out the mines. I have BG1, TOSC, BG2, and TOB - I just have to play them (and will be the rest of this year). I'm new to BG, but not to CRPGs. I've played and completed Fallout 1-2, PS:T, Arcanum, Might and Magic 6-8, Wizardry 8, and Jagged Alliance 2 (billed as a tactical shooter, but definitely a CRPG). I've enjoyed them all, and for different reasons - Might and Magic for the huge 3D landscapes, intricate dungeons, and fun combat; Fallout for the cool post-apocalyptic setting and the great sense of humor; PS:T for its great atmosphere and overall weirdness (AND WHY HASN"T THERE BEEN A SEQUEL?!!!); Arcanum for its story and the development of your main character (and all those cool gadgets!); Wizardry 8for its party development, huge volme of spoken dialogue, and tactical combat; JA2 for the same reasons as Wizardry 8, with the humor of Fallout thrown in.

By far, the hardest of the bunch is Wizardry 8. Anyone here who has played it knows what I mean. I think BG has been pretty challenging so far, but after W8 its been positively relaxing by comparison!

Building the right party sems to be the biggest challenge in BG. Right now my level 3-4 party includes:

Basrah (pc, ranger, ng, half-elf)
Imoen (t)
Minsc (r)
Kivan (r)
Branwen (c)
Jaheira (f/d)

I had to creatively get Khalid and Dynaheir killed at the Gnoll stronghold so I could get their partners. You can see I have no mages in my party. Is it difficult to finish this game without a mage? My party is full of strong fighters, and everyone has a ranged attack except Minsc. I could pick up Xan, or Edwin (might be fun to see the sparks fly with him in my good party). I'd like to keep Imoen as a pure thief. Suggestions?
Dobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

well it will be expensive cause you have to identify items w/out the spell. I think 3 rangers is proably overkill. I'd consider dualling imoen. if not, there are several others who could be worth it.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:28 AM   #3
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

I really hate to critique someone else's party when it is their first time playing through this marvelous game.
But, if you want to be spoiled (to a degree atleast) then I will.
Spoilers, well sort of.....
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
First off, if your main character is going to be partaking in primarily ranged attacks, then you probably do not "need" Kivan and as you will discover later that Immoen is very well suited for using a cross-bow (note: there's a kick arse crossbow at the shop in Beregost).

Secondly, I would recomend that you ditch that tree-hugging environmental wacko named Jaheira, as she is very limited in her usefullness as both a fighter and or a spell-caster. It's been awhile since I have played the game, as well as having Jaheira in a party, so I can't remember all of her limitations. But from what I can remember, her only uses were throwing "rocks" and distributing "Good Berries", oh - and complaining a lot!

Thirdly, you asked about mages, I would strongly recomend for you to acquire a mage. Now as for the "best" mage? That's open to debate. But most people would say either: Edwin, Xzar, Dynaheir, or Quayle. I personally would recomend either Edwin or Quayle. However, if you aspire to keep Minsc in your party, you will not be able have Edwin, as they are sworn enemies (if I remember correctly). Oh, and you certainly do not "need" a mage to beat this game, but it can make it easier to do so and it can make it a bit more fun.

Anyways, just experiment a bit, you will eventually discover that this game has seemingly endless possibilities. That's why it has such high replayability and that's why it is a classic. Dare I say the best CRPG ever made! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

you're talking like you know the game pretty well so i'm sure you'll be fine if - people can solo a fighter through the game i'm sure you'll cope

i would hang on to both of your clerical spell casters though for dispelling and summoning purposes as you'll have no other way of doing it

(mental note - add 'divine spellcasting party' to the to-do list)

EDIT: hello btw [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-16-2003, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV:
Now as for the "best" mage? That's open to debate. But most people would say either: Edwin, Xzar, Dynaheir, or Quayle.
SPOILER
Dynaheir is THE best mage, when it comes to looks I still regret that I ditched her for Edwin. But having both Minsc and Edwin in the party is fun (they are still in my party (and arguing), and I am right now in the catacombs beneath Candlekeep, having a rep of 20)

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 04-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

As far as Jaheira goes, I should note that Druids are great.....in BG2. In BG1, however, they're handy to have around until you can find yourself a decent Cleric--which you have already done. On the Wizard front, you will NOT absolutely need a Mage at all, and in my opinion, you're actually better off playing the first half of the game without one--hack & slash will work quite well for most of the game. About "too many Rangers"....If Basrah has good Tanking stats, you don't really need Minsc. If Basrah prefers pumping the bad guys full of arrows, you don't really need Kivan. But, as I said, physical combat rules in BG1. One thing, though: You are going to meet people whose ablities are going to sorely tempt you to drop Kivan or Minsc. As for Imoen, do NOT Dual her unless you have another very competent Thief to take up the slack.

My ideal party:
1 Tank (usually the main character)
1-3 Backup Tanks
1 Cleric
1 Mage
2 Thieves
Note that that's as many as 8 people. Find people who can do double duty: A properly equipped Priest can also serve as a backup Tank, you've seen that Imoen can be a Mage as well as a Thief, etc.

Now, all of those are powergaming considerations. Let's roleplay now:
Edwin is at his best with Minsc and Dynaheir in the party as well. Edwin hates the other two, and they bicker and argue all the time. There are also 2 Dwarves in the game, and it's amazing how 2 members of the same race could despise each other so much. There's also a Female Human Fighter floating around, who has some mean banter with a Bard, and you might happen across a Halfling Thief who has something going with Edwin. Some people can't stand Xan, but I happen to think his depressing attitude is funnier than heck.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:01 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
There are also 2 Dwarves in the game, and it's amazing how 2 members of the same race could despise each other so much.
Just to add to the SoS comment,

There are also 2 Gnomes in the game, and it's amazing how 2 members of the same race could despise each other so much.

Must be a short people thing.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Quote:
There are also 2 Dwarves in the game, and it's amazing how 2 members of the same race could despise each other so much.
Just to add to the SoS comment,

There are also 2 Gnomes in the game, and it's amazing how 2 members of the same race could despise each other so much.

Must be a short people thing.
[/QUOTE]lol... [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Ain't the world so divided even in Faerun, isn't it?
Old 04-17-2003, 02:36 AM   #9
Dobian
Dungeon Master

SixOfSpades...I turned down Xan's offer to join at the time because I didn't want him yet. I figured I could pick him up later. Of course he takes off for someplace that I guess isn't in the game and is gone for good. I've shown the disturbing habit in this game of permanently getting rid of potential NPCs (Xan, Khalid, Dynaheir)! I've scanned through your guide and it's very good. Yes, I'm roleplaying as opposed to powergaming. My main character is strong but not "uber". I have no mage. My party is a bunch of tree-hugging wackos (three rangers, Jaheira, Branwen, and Imoen). I think it's a pretty fun party. I can still toss Edwin into the mix - my only concern is that he doesn't bolt because my party is too "good". Torturing him by making him hang out with a bunch of ecoterrorists would be a kick, though!
Dobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 03:47 AM   #10
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

actually you can't take edwin. he'll get killed by minsc. when you meet him the first time he's trying to kill Dynaheir, needlesss to say this upsets minsc.