Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 08-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default Curiosity about character special abilities

We have the technology, we have the capability, and we can do it, has anyone done the racial abilities (like dwarven poison bonus for constitution, elven magic resistance to sleep/charm/hold, ect)?

I know we have had a lot of breakthroughs in the capabilities of DC and I am eagerly looking forward to version 1.0 when it is released.

ST
Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: Curiosity about character special abilities

By anybody, do you mean me?

The answer is yes and no. Yes, if they were measured in FRUA (like elf MR) then I've done them. I've also done a half-elf version for MR. But, if it's not in FRUA, I haven't done it.
Now, the caveat to this is that some of the FRUA stuff has been in DC for a long time - Richard hardwired it in, and Paul and I haven't mucked about with it.

Edited to add:

I nearly forgot that there are tons of unused stuff in the skills and traits databases. Some of it is used, but is hard-coded at the moment. However, both files can accept Special Ability calls (I think, my notes are not in front of me at the moment). There are a lot things from the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and some from the Wildnerness Survigal Guide in those files. I can't recall which one, though, as they both used to be one file and I split it into two along what I thought was a logical (in the AD&D sense) line.

Last edited by manikus; 08-04-2010 at 05:00 PM.
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Well... I guess you would be the logical person to ask anyway...

FRUA did include elven MR (IIRC) but I dunno if dwarf poison bonus was or wasn't.

And I recall there were files in the installs that didn't seem to do anything (traits.txt for example?) so perhaps this was "laying the ground work"

ST
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

"Doing something" is a relative term. Of the .txt files, only config.txt "does something". Perhaps you mean the .dat files? Now they do something. Now, whether they do everything that you and I think that they ought to, is the real question.

Skills.dat and traits.dat ostensibly come from the matching .txt files, but in reality who knows what is really in there. You can import both of these .txt files into their respective slots and change the .dat versions. But what have you accomplished? I don't know.
I think most of the things in the skills.dat and traits.dat files contain info that is currently hardwired OR was future-proofing on Richard's part, but he never implemented it.