Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-23-2003, 11:12 PM   #11
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Here's an idea I had, though I don't have the time or skills to create it (so feel free to steal the idea--just let me know so I can get a copy when you do!)

A set of items called the Firesuit

Firesuit--a set of items created and used by a mage whose study often led him into the Plane of Fire. He used these items to protect himself against the attacks of Fire Elementals, as well as to strike back at them. He was undone by a rival who specialized in ice magics.

Boots of Fire Adsorption:
add 20% to Fire Resistance

Gloves of Fire Adsorption:

Robes of Fire Adsorption:

Fire Adsorption Hat:

Amulet of Fire Collection:
This amulet is the Keystone to the Firesuit. Fire energy absorbed from each of the components of the suit is channeled into the amulet. Knowing the folly of fighting fire with fire, the mage who designed the suit found a way to convert the fire energy into basic magical energy.
1 charge: Cast Chromatic Orb
1 charge: Cast Magic Missile

The amulet is charged by adsorbing fire energy. For every 10 spell levels of fire adsorbed, the amulet gains one charge. Magical fire attacks (such as the Fire elementals attack, or MMM) count as 1 spell level per hit.

If parts of the Firesuit are missing, the energy absorbed is reduced by 20% per missing piece.

---I don't know if the game engine allows charging an item based on attacks or spell levels, an alternative would be to give 1 charge per day per piece of the suit.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

bump

might be helpful to sticky this
Old 04-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #13
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Only temporary ofcorse.. but it would be nice if this could be a sticky post for a while, Dundee?

Because what you probably already noticed, custom items are quite populaire [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Don't know who caused this (It wasn't me right [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ?), but it would be great to have this as a sticky thread for a month or so (until the custom item frenzy has calmed down)

So what do you say Dundee?

[ 04-24-2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 04-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #14
Russ
Manshoon

I've never had a preference for world-smashing items, but instead have always enjoyed those in the low-to-mid-range, and found them more interesting.

1. Halberd +2: "Pikeman's Friend."

A relic of battles where Tuigan horse archers severely embarrassed Amnian heavy infantry, the "Pikeman's Friend" is a well-crafted, heavy-hitting halberd designed for sergeants who want to live long enough to direct their troops.
Powers: Standard stats for a halberd +2. Shield (3x daily).

2. Sling +1: "Siege Staff."

These fustibulae, or staff slings, have been passed through so many hands that they are usually polished almost slick. They perform well, and are clearly more accurate and easier to wield than most staff slings. However, rubbing the engravings along the staff in a particular order results in a magic firepot, which has more than once been the cause of a gateway being breached or a section of wall unexpectedly cleared just prior to the siege ladders hitting. They are usually issued only to skilled slingers, however, because the firepots are prone to breakage, which can be disastrous.
Powers: Sling +1: Generates one Fire Seed (per druid spell) 1x daily. On a critical miss, explodes as 3-die fireball centered on caster.

3. Sling Bullet +1: "Glitterballs"

On old favorite with the Gond worshippers and frustrated wizards everywhere, this sling bullet generates a glitterdust field on impact, making it good for night-time illumination, revealing invisible creatures, and sometimes allowing for a quick getaway.
Power: Ammunition -- generates glitterdust spell on impact.

4. Helm +2: "Thinking Cap"

This outlandish and somewhat, well, *stupid*-looking helm is a favorite among light-hearted travelers and the just plain silly.

Powers: usable only by bards and wizards (!!). Increases Intelligence by two, decreases wisdom by two.

5. Dagger +1: "Pest-begone."

A handy little dagger once used as a letter-opener by Zsheortj the Irritable, it has been the bane of many a would-be apprentice and gibberling.

Powers: Standard dagger +1. Magic missile as 3rd-level caster (1xday)
Old 04-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #15
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Halberd +2: "Pikeman's Friend."
A nice idea, but unfortunately the Shield spell won't provide much benefit to someone who's probably already wearing Plate or better. I would simply have the weapon confer a -2 AC bonus, with an additional -4 against Missiles.

Quote:
Sling +1: "Siege Staff."
Unfortunately, the game can't recognize Critical Hits or Misses and use them to implement things like the firepot blowing up in your face.

Quote:
Dagger +1: "Pest-begone."
Neato! But what was Zsheortj's mother thinking when she named him, and what did he do to get even?

Here's my submission for an item collection: (Have you noticed how popular weapons are, as compared with other types of items? Only Olorin has dared to be different.)

War Pick+3: "Gravedigger"

Dwarves have always been fascinated with mined jewels and precious metals, and as a consequence, other races have always been fascinated with trying to obtain the fruits of the Dwarves' efforts. As these interactions can (frequently) turn hostile, some Dwarves have often felt that by digging valuable minerals from the earth, they are indirectly digging their own graves. One such Dwarf was Perreck Stonecleaver, who suffered the fate of being the only Dwarf in an isolated community of Humans. Not only did they jump his claims and rush in to do their own digging whenever Perreck struck a good vein, but they also boycotted him, forcing him to sell his gold and silver at far below market value, if he wanted to sell at all. Fed up with this treatment, one night Perreck left his mine, did away with many of his enemies using their own mining tools, and vanished.
It is presumed that he never came into contact with Humans again, but he must have met some highly skilled Dwarven or Deep-Gnomish weaponsmiths before he died, as Perreck was reported as being no smith, but yet this weapon bears his mark. Some have suggested that his name adorns the weapon because his very soul is within--at the very least, he seems to have channeled into it his rage against all those who would rob miners of the fruits of their labor. The first mention of its use above ground places it in the hands of the Dwarven warrior, Liorek Berradun, who was reputed to be able to command the earth to open into a firey trench, into which his enemies would fall and be buried--thus earning Liorek (and, by extension, his weapon) the moniker "Gravedigger."
Liorek's adventuring career, like so many others, came to an untimely end, but his at least makes a good tale: While leading a skirmish against a party of Hill Giants, a powerful earth-tremor shook the area, and a crevasse opened up beneath his own feet. In his desperate scramble to safety, Liorek dropped his War Pick into the abyss, and before he could even catch his breath, he found himself confronted by two Earth Elementals, who made short work of the weaponless Liorek and then jumped down the chasm after him.

2D4+3 Piercing damage
Proficiency: Warhammer
Each hit has a 10% chance of casting "Perreck's Curse," which does the following:
1-65: Nothing happens
66-90: Casts Implosion on the victim
91-95: Creates a random Gem in the user's Inventory
96-100: Casts Earthquake and Implosion on the user, summons 1D4 Greater Earth Elementals (always hostile).
Only Usable by: Dwarven or Gnomish Fighters of non-Lawful Alignment
Location: On Vithal, after returning from the Earth Elemental Plane

[ 04-24-2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 04-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #16
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Here's my Item thought:

Merlin's Staff +2:

Merlin was known, when he was a little boy, as Emrys, called that by his mother, Elen of the Sapphire Eyes. Emrys was born in Fincayra, but was brought up in Earth, and found out that he had the startings of a great wizard there. However, there, he also lost his eyes in a fire of his own making. It was a gift from the Gods which allow him to see again, not with his eyes, but with an ability called the 'Second Sight'. However, he grew restless, and eventually went on a raft in the sea, to try to find out his past.

He washed ashore in the strange land of Fincayra, a place of great beauty. There, he learnt of a terrible plot to take over the land. However, with the help of a Hawk named Trouble, a girl named Rhiannon, and Shim, a Giant that was a Dwarf*, he managed to save the land and bring the prophecy about. However, Trouble, his hawk, died, saving him from the evil spirit of Rhita Gawr. In his adventures, he also met for the first time, his tutor, the bard Cairpré. He managed to stop evil plots many more times again.

The Staff that he bore during his travels during Fincayra was given to him by a tree. It was empowered from beyond the dead by Tuatha, his grandfather, the greatest wizard that Fincayra had ever seen. The Staff now bears seven symbols, each reminescent of the Seven Songs of Wizardry, one of which is Leaping, the magic capable to transporting a person great distances in a though. He had to find the soul of each song in order to save his mother from an evil of his own making.

His last days in Fincayra, sadly enough, were mostly spent in battle, trying to stop another invasion from the legions of Rhita Gawr, in which he had his tutor, Cairpré, die. Due to a strange twist of fate, children managed to stop the plan, and Rhita Gawr's plan was thwarted once more. After the battle, he found out his true name, which was Olo Eopia, man of many worlds, many times.

However, now he had to make a choice. He was of Fincayran descent, but his destiny belonged to Earth. He had met a woman who could change into a Deer at will- her name was Eo-Lahallia- and fallen in love. Despite all of this, he decided to follow his destiny, into mortal Earth.

Stats:
Damage: 1d6+2
Proficiency: Staff

Once per day, this Staff can summon a Hawk named 'Trouble'. Due to the fact that this takes strenuous energy on the part of the Mage, the Hawk can only do one attack immediately after being summoned. If it sees no enemy, then it will not stay, and goes back to the Spirit World. This Hawk can only attack those of Evil alignment. This one attack does 4d6+3 damage. Afterwards, he vanishes, gone back to the Spirit World. This Hawk has a special affinity for Wizards (seeing as Rhita Gawr performed like one...), and the one hit that the Trouble makes on the Mage scrambles the Mage's spells, making it unable to cast for 2 rounds. Trouble will also always hit enemy Mages, no matter what protection spells it has up.

+1 AC bonus (debatable- but it saved his butt so many times it's not even funny)

Once per day, this Staff can summon a Deer named Hallia, to run beside the caster once more, and to defend the caster, if necessary.

1 x day cast True Sight

1 x day cast Teleport, but only within the Wizard's sight.

Only usable by: Good single-classed Mages and Sorcerers.

*Read the books from T.A.Barron, the Lost Years of Merlin.

The main problem might be that different lands don't really go along with the mystic of Faerun that great, but it's worth a shot.

[ 04-24-2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:32 AM   #17
Merlin from Amber
Manshoon

I have ideas for some spell:
Name: Time Start
Lvl: quest
School: (any)
Casting time: 9
Duration: 8 rounds
Area of efect: special
Range: none
Saving throw: special
Description: This spell can save the caster from the Time Stop spell. However, because this spell is extremly powerful the caster must take care when casting it. If the caster saves vs spell he can control the time stream and if during the duration of the spell the enemy casts Time Stop the caster will be free to do whatever he wants, but if he fails his save then there is 80% chance that he'll stop the time and will freze himselft and everybody except one randomly chosen enemy and 20% chance to stun himself for 1 round.

(This spell is not my idea)

Name: Crushing hands
Duration: instant
Area of efect: one creature
Range: visual sight of the caster
Description: This spell causes the caster's hands to gain strength and to become as long as needed to reach the enemy. When the enemy is reached the wizard begins to crush him with his enormous hands causing 60d1 damage however if the enemy saves vs spell then the wizard recieves 60d1 damage. Enemy magic resistance does not matter.

[ 04-25-2003, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Merlin from Amber ]
Merlin from Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:27 AM   #18
ElegantProse
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Merlin from Amber:
(This spell is not my idea)

Name: Crushing hands
Duration: instant
Area of efect: one creature
Range: visual sight of the caster
Description: This spell causes the caster's hands to gain strength and to become as long as needed to reach the enemy. When the enemy is reached the wizard begins to crush him with his enormous hands causing 60d1 damage however if the enemy saves vs spell then the wizard recieves 60d1 damage. Enemy magic resistance does not matter.
I believe the spell Bigby's Crushing Hand is close to this spell.

[ 04-25-2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: ElegantProse ]
Old 04-25-2003, 11:55 AM   #19
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Staff of Knaves
The wizard Al'Loren Czarn started his adventuring days like many adventurers do; with a party of others, looking for treasures and quests so that they might face monsters told of only in tales, and gain riches only kings could dream of. Also common to have in an adventuring party is a rogue, but this was much to the eventual chagrin of Czarn. For he was the victim of two backstabs from thieves in his own party, almost killed both times. When Czarn recovered, he hunted down both rogues and trapped their souls in his staff.

Abilities:
-Knock and Find Traps at will
-invisibility 1x per day
-immunity to backstab

THACO: +2
Damage: 2D8+2
Speed Factor: 3
Weight: 5
Strength Required: 8
Proficiency Type: Quarter Staff
Type: 2-Handed
Usable By:
Mage
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:10 PM   #20
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Knock and Find Traps at will??? How about 5x/day?
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote