Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-09-2001, 03:30 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

3 questions:

What's a good level to dual a ranger->cleric for BG2?
What's a good level to dual a ranger->cleric for ToB?
Does the ranger automatically get two free slots in dual wield?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:33 PM   #2
ReGiN

In BG2 I'd say level 14th is a good level to dual
In ToB...hmmm...maybe 14th too..I don't really know, I haven't dualled in ToB (in the game that is)
Well if you put three slots in dual wield before you dual-class, I don't think that will be a problem.

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 10:01 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

yes you get 2 free slots in dual wield from being a ranger. For ToB you probably would want to go at level 12 or later for ToB. In SoA probably 12 or earlier. 12 to me seems like a good boundry. Wait much longer in SoA and you are too close to the end of the game or too close to the xp cap.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:27 AM   #4
Tuor
Elminster

I did it at 9th and completed ToB with her dual wielding CF and flail of ages, had no real trouble with hitting things or being hit.
With ranger its not as crucial when you changes as it is with fighter because you can only get two proficiencies in any weapon anyway so there isn't a lot of point hanging around as a ranger once you've got the third two weapon style slot.

Having said that it depends on who is in the party with your ranger-I had a paladin, a swashbuckler and a fighter/mage dual class, a mage and a bard so there was plenty of fighting ability any way.

If you're going at 12th level you may as well be a fighter cleric and grand master in a weapon you're going to dual wield
Old 10-10-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

that reminds me, without spoilers of stuff to come, what should I dual in? I might have minsc around who has spec in maces and dual wield as well, should I go for hammers and flails or something?

And I was going to say, dualing at L12 seems a bit late to me, by the time I get everything back, It'll be near the end of the game. Level 9 sounds good, though I'd almost be tempted to do so in level 7, but I want 3 *'s in dual wield, two in whatever my primary weapon is going to be. Seeing as I get 2 free *'s in dual wield, I could technically dual at like level 3, but if I wait until 9, I could pick a secondary weapon. Therefore, should I stick to hammers and flails?

Also, should I take the stalker kit? It seems interesting, but the armor limitation would really hinder me from tanking.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:14 AM   #6
Tuor
Elminster

If you dual at 9th level your Thaco is 2 points better and you get an extra proficiency giving you 7 in all (plus your 2 free ones in 2 weapon style)

That means you can stick two in flail-flail of the ages
one in two weapon sytle
two in war hammer-crom fayer
two in mace (mace of disruption for those pesky vamp and you can also get it upgraded so you don't get level drained when you are hit.....)

By going at 9th you get your ranger abilities back in plenty of time for chapter three.

If you want to tank don't do the whole stalker extravaganza, you're better off in full plate mail. But you don't have to have a huge negative AC to be an effective fighter just get your character to hit the enemies after the tanks/summoned creatures go in they'll concentrate on the tanks/fodder leaving you to do some damage and be ignored for a bit.
Old 10-10-2001, 12:44 PM   #7
Haladar
Dungeon Master

in throne of bhaal a better selection is (in my opinion)

2 in warhammer
2 in flail
2 in 2 weapons (free)
and whatever else you want
Then you can dual with crom faeyr and runehammer+5 (same as MoD but more powerful), and have Flail of Ages +5 as a secondary choice

-------------
Haladar
Mithril Cavalier of ALSB
Guardian of the Holy Temple of Aerie
Old 10-10-2001, 04:33 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

SOA = 10 extra prof.s
TOB = 13 extra attacks

dual-wield hammer & flail

Old 10-10-2001, 08:00 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

for speed factor and decent damage you should put at least one in katanas - unless valygar is with you in which case let him use them.

dual katanas will interupt any mage (at least, any mage who can be hit by less than +3 weapons) and do the most damage of any single handed weapon.

also, and i agree this may not be your thing since your a roleplayer and not a powerplayer, i always ensure everyone is prof in at least one missile weapon. it helps when you get ambushed by someone on an inaccesible platform, or when you fighters are trapped in from of your mages and cant get at people attacking from behind. there are throwing axes and darts which return and at least one bow and sling with no ammo, so dont worry about the logistics of taking masses of bullets etc. slings is a good choice i feel. the bow and sling are high enchantment so can cut through Improved Mantle etc.

also consider lugging along a plain weapon in case of immunity from magical weapons.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:38 PM   #10
StarVid
Elminster

I can't use Katanas, I'm a ranger/cleric!