Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-02-2001, 10:59 AM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Who did my beloved bioware screw us over by giving us 3 of the same character and makeing all of them suck???? I am refering to Imoen,the most whiny useless "thing" in the game , Nalia the D&D social worker, and Jan,"I'd stuff a turnip up my nether regeions if it would fit"Jansen. Why on earth did they thing we needed 3 thief mages , when they put Edwin and Aerie in the game?? Nalia and Imoen have the EXACT same stats and weapon profs , except for Nalia being slightly stronger than Imoen. Maybe one of you can explain why they did it?? Jan is just the lesser of 3 evils because you need a thief after that rat bastard Yoshimo turns on you, and with Imoen/Nalia stuck at 7th level in theiving skills , they only get more useless as the game goes on and the traps and locks get harder to defeat!!!Now I am forced to play a thief in my game because after Nalia gave away half of my money to every bum in Athkatla I was forcer to shank her like we were in prison, then I gave Imoen a try and after she missed finding the smashing wall trap in the asylum dungeon I left her bones and her shitty skills behind.I even gave jan a try , but he asked one too many dumb questions and Korgan killed him before I could. MY GOD !!! Why has bioware forsaken ME ???????????
Old 10-02-2001, 11:33 AM   #2
Lazarus
Manshoon

Ok first of all I'd rather choose Nalia rather than Imoen because Imoen wont gain much Exp. because she's gonna be captured by Jon Irenicus.Then when Nalia gets Captured you should try to save her by.
*Going to the Goverment District and Going to Isea's house at the 1st building when you enter get the book from his chest box.
*Then go to Barg in the Docks District near Sea Bounty Tavern talk to him then go inside the tavern (Dont Bring Jaheira in unless you want her to be cursed)then Get the Evidence scroll from the pesant there (well of course hes Irritating i killed him) then head back to the Goverment District then talk to Isea's boss then you'll have Nalia back.
And Dont bring Yoshimo with you (when you meet Nalia get yoshimo off the party) Then of course you should have patience.. Each party member has thier own good use.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:52 PM   #3
starloc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have to say that I agree. Come on, 3 thief/mages? They should have made another pure thief or maybe a barbarian fighter who could also be another female love interest. Or even better, why not a half orc archer? That would be cool.

------------------
"Cry Havok, and let loose the dogs of war!"
Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
Old 10-02-2001, 07:18 PM   #4
Encard
Quintesson

What they should have done, I think, was had Imoen stay a thief instead of dual-classing to a mage, use Jan as the thief/mage, and had a half-orc barbarian and a monk as other NPCs. Hmm... Possibly a fighter NPC as well, or something. I don't know. But BG had multiple NPC for just about all the clases, an here there are a bunch of them missing... *sigh* Well, we'll have to make do as best we can... or possibly use an editor to make our own NPCs. Hmm... is that possible?

------------------
Lord of the RaBid Fruit Trees. ChAos rules all! Bwahahahaha...
:1drgat1:
Old 10-02-2001, 07:57 PM   #5
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I consider Theif/Mages to be one of the most essential classes if you lack one of the two. Mage abilities mixed in with the Theif's pickpocket and backstab? Really helps out when your Mage is down, and you are lacking magic power.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:01 PM   #6
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Oh.. and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, The Hunter of Jahanna! I hope you'll enjoy you're stay here, and make some new friends. Stop by General Discussion for a more hearty welcome.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:04 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Umm first off I think many people here would probably consider Jan one of the best npcs in the game overall. He is useful AND he is quite entertaining. Jan and Minsc have the most character interactions of the npcs. Putting Jan into a party of good characters like anomen and keldorn is great fun!

That said some people like playing with more than 1 thief in a party. I think it just was good variety. Sure maybe they could have given an npc of one of the other classes like monk but it probably would have been unbalancing that you could have 2 monks in a party who knows. ANyways nobody is forcing you to use more than 1 of any of them. Just chose 1 and deal with it
Old 10-02-2001, 09:29 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Jus a comment - Nalia is a lvl 4 thief hile Imoen is at level 7.
I have found Imoen more than adequate for finding/disarming traps and picking locks, and you can find items to enhance some of her thieving skills. Of course if you are looking for someone who can backstab well than both Nalia and Imoen fit the bill poorly.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:28 PM   #9
Baron Nocturna
Dungeon Master

I agree to an extent. A pure thief is really too weak for SOA and a pure mage is not terribly useful at many junctures so voila, 3 thief/mages. I have no idea why people pick Nalia over Imoen. When I found Imoen, she was level 11 mage, same as Nalia in my game and a better thief to boot. Nalia would make more sense as a fighter mage (none of those in the game) to give some variety. Jan has been hit or miss for me. A great deal of fun but dies really easily. If Edwin weren't the ubermage he is, he'd suck compared to the other three due to lack of other useful skills. One thing I have a beef with is no monks or Barbarians and only 1 (count 'em) pure fighter and no cool kits. I guess that is the lame excuse for "replay value". I played through 3 times and am totally bored with it and STILL never saw a half orc, barbarian, and half the kits. Oh well...

Baron nocturna

------------------
Anyone care to see my Rod of Lordly Might?
Old 10-03-2001, 12:34 AM   #10
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Well considering that the game has over 100 hours of content playing it through once is a tremendous value. Playing it several times is amazing (considering the number of games that have like 20 or so hours of gameplay it is quite a bargain). That said yeah it is a bummer there is not npcs of the new classes. I assume that is more of a balancing issue than anything else but I could be wrong of course.