Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-15-2001, 05:42 AM   #11
Shadowlord
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My name is Shadowlord....and I'm a chronic restarter.

I'm ashamed to say I never finished BG1 despite starting about 20 times. The furthest I got was when you show up at the palace and tell that guy what Sarevok's up to. He asks for proof and youre supposed to give him proof (2 or 3 letters etc.) Well, somewhere along the way I had dropped a vital letter. Very frustrating. There was always something about my characters I was unhappy with and I was always tinkering with them. Now I have lost BG1 and will probably never finish it.

I think I am starting to beat the problem with SoA. I just completed SoA for the first time on the weekend on only my third restart so I guess there's hope for everyone!
Old 10-15-2001, 06:34 AM   #12
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ha, i restart all the time. I guess im just never satisfied with me char.
My cavelier(whom i took through bg1,2 and tob) is the only i really like.(especially since i has 19 in str, dex, con and ch)

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.

Paladin of the order, first bodyguard of Lady Lioness and defender of Castle Kerhelm
Old 10-15-2001, 08:05 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

Ooh yes!
I want to join the chronic restarter's support group!

I have beaten the game once, with a Skald. I think I beat it another time too, but can't remember what character I used.
I have restarted the game over 100 times.

The worst culprit is Ironworks. Every time I come here, I go away with a whole load of new ideas for my character(s) and so I have to start again. I would agree though that creating more than one character and playing in multiplayer mode does help. If one character doesn't work, just import a new one - the only one you have to keep is your main one.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-15-2001, 08:30 AM   #14
StarVid
Elminster

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo pissed.

I've finally become resolved to the point of beating the game (BG1). I made a mage that I want to kit into a wild mage for BG2. I get as far as the palace where you hand in the evidence and then Sarevok teleports away. So I go to talk to Belt to get sent after him, but he doesn't speak. Apparently, I have some kind of bug. I e-mailed Kevin Dorner, but I'm probably going to have to start over again (I don't have a save before the palace). I'm just not meant to beat this game...
Old 10-15-2001, 08:52 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm... ...

I have only quit twice, once as a Berserker, and once as a Wizard Slayer.

The thing is, I like spell-casting and I know this, so I have always successfully completed the game when I play as a Sorcerer or Blade, because I was having fun. This is a very important factor! Without the fun factor, you get bored, weary and deary with your character, prompting you to quit.

I know fighters can be powerful and all that, but I dunno... the only 'fighter' type I like is the Paladin class, which incidentally, can also cast spells. Also, I played a all-female party when I played as a Paladin, which I found highly entertaining and it spurred me on to continue with them because I developed an attachment to them.

Then there are the themed parties, I only played one so far, and that was as Robin Hood and his merry men( and woman), it was also the only time I ever role-played fully. Heh heh, restricting yourself can be fun too, no helmets, no armour better than chainmail, must stick to weapon type( gotta love Grandmastery in Daggers), etc... ...

The thing all these have in common, and I repeat myself again, is the fun factor. Before creating your character, ask and question yourself first. If you were borned in a fantasy world, what do you see yourself as? Do you prefer melee or magic? etc... ...

Since young, I have always day-dreamed of Mages and Sorcerers( thanks largely to Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series), so it was a natural choice for me when I got BG2.

Good luck and have FUN!

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-15-2001, 10:51 AM   #16
Nifft the Nimble

Hi, my name is Nifft, and I'm a chronic restarter.

I've also finished the game, but never as a dual'd character, always either a single-class Cavalier, Archer or Sorcerer, or as a multi-class elven Fighter/Mage.

Why never one of my many dual-class characters I wonder? Perhaps because for me every dual-class character was an attempt to make a super character. When I play a single-class character I'm more likely to be role-playing, not trying to max something out.
So that's my advice. Play something (multi-class or single-class) which you aren't going to dual. Paladins and Archers are the only fighters which really ever appealed to me, but Avengers, Assassins, Sorcerers, Jesters and Wild Mages are quite a lot of fun too. DO NOT try to make an uber character -- that's how to get stuck in constant restart mode. See there's always SOMEONE who has a power you don't, so you'll have to restart to get that power, but once you do, hey, you lost that other cool power, so you'll have to.... etc, etc, etc.

-- Nifft