Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
DragonSlayer25
Drow Warrior

Thinking about getting one and wondered what your guys' thoughts were about it. I wanted my name in Norse runes above a valknot ( I'm Āsatru). I was just wondering about the pain factor and thoughts about location, etc.

[ 07-28-2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: DragonSlayer25 ]
It\'s like a whole other world<br />Where you can smell the food<br />But you can\'t touch the silverware.<br /><br />[url]\"http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Porkmeister\" target=\"_blank\">http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Porkmeister</a>
DragonSlayer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

It feels like rubbing sandpaper into your skin, REALLY HARD. But think about what makes it painful. Its like getting alot of shots, but the needle is solid, and doesn't go so deep.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Of course the tattoo artist could be drunk or high on something, use a dirty needle or whatever it was that made the tattoo on my friend's arm rot and partly dissapear.

Ah well....anyway...good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Johnny is right, you have to be sure to choose your artist carefully. People that are recommended to you by friends are cool, but check out his shop, some of his work, talk to people that have ink by him, and see what it looks like, a month later, better yet, a year later.
Another thing to remember is that a tattoo is an open wound, and must be taken care of accordingly. Sometimes, problems that result from a tattoo are the fault of the person getting it, not the person doing it. Good luck with it.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #5
Duagloth Duskryn
Dungeon Master

How big will it be? Is it important that you can see it?

A popular location is the neck or the upper arm(be sure that your muscles dont become bigger/smaller so that your skin is strechted)

But why dont you try first a fake tatoo? so you can see how it will look like and you dont have to keep it till you die
Old 07-28-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Jani
Dungeon Master

I have a tattoo that covers most of my right arm. It doesnīt hurt that much to take. The firs 5 minutes are uncomfortable and after that the skin goes quite dump. Mine took 4 hours and was done in 2 parts (2x2hours). Itīs been about 5 years now and most of the time I donīt even remember I have it. If I have a meeting at work with a client then I just put on a shirt that covers it. No biggie.

And take all above advices seriously. Just donīt be Johnnys friend and you`ll do just fine=D
Jani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

I'm sure you've heard this lots of times, but tattoos are *permanent*. You can get them removed but it leaves a scar. Just be sure you're going to be happy with in 10 years, or even 20. And don't get it just because it's cool, it should have some meaning for you. But I did read your post, and it seems it does have meaning for you, so cheers. Wherever you put it, make sure it's someplace that can be covered, just in case you end up in a job where they really frown on body art. I'd say upper arm is a good location. Obvious when you want it to be, and as Jani says, you can cover it up if need be.

As to pain, probably won't hurt much as long as the artist doesn't hit a nerve cluster. Got a shot (worlds apart I know) and the nurse stuck it in a nerve cluster, the spasm broke the needle off in my arm.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
In addition to that, if pain is a concern, you should just avoid bones. The ankle and the middle of the back come to mind... these places HURT.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yup, anywhere where the distance between the skin and te bone is small will hurt more, its only in some places that you can't feel it, in fact when I was getting mine in some places it was like a relaxing vibrating pen on my back.... Then he would go over the shoulder bone.... And that hurts..

If you want the truth, imagine getting an injection...Not so bad, then imagine them dragging the needle along your skin while its still in...
So yeah, it can be pretty painfull, it just depends on where you want it, I dont think it hurts all that much on your arm, but I have mine over my back and the spine and the shoulder blades were the painfull parts.

I also heard that the lower back (where alot of girls seem to get them) hurts like a bitch, but I ave a very high tolerance for pain so it didn't bother me, and if the design is simple it wont take that long.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I knew this guy once that had the name of the local footballclub tattood on his forhead, that must have hurt i think. Not to mention the Londoner that worked with us on the Heineken breweries, he had a parrot tattood on top of his head, it covered his skull completely. The thought alone of sticking needles in my head makes me sick.