Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Hello again, sorry to keep bothering everyone. I've been trying to come up with a semi-original character idea to play through the OC and then HotU with. I just finished a Monk/RDD and liked that but didn't do much spellcasting. I'd like to play some spellcaster of some sort. But I want them to be somewhat decent at melee as well. That being said all the builds on the bioware page have them wear plate armor. I tried that and just had no spells at all so after about 8 levels I realized I was basically just making a whimpy fighter since I never cast spells. Please give me your ideas, I'd love to hear them!
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

If your spell caster is going to wear armour then you HAVE to get the feats Autostil spell 1,2,3.

If your going to be a monk they do tend to have a low AB which will need to be boosted (cleric maybe??)

Hope I gave you a few ideas.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you want a melee capable spell caster, then Cleric is the way to go. Plate mail doesn't effect devine spells. Side note though, I tend to forget to use spells too, except for buffing purposes, or to heal. When I'm on my game, the Cleric is one potent char.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Hey, thanks, that's a good idea. So I'll do a cleric with some fighter thrown in for feats and weapon specialization. What would you guys add to the mix? Weapon Master, Champion of Torm, something else? Also, do cleric use Wisdom for anything besides max spell level? Thanks a lot.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Fighter 10/Cleric 20/COT 10 works well the 10 fighter levels gets you lots of feats, cleric for strong spells and Buffs. COT has some good abilities as well.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That would be a good build. Get lots of goodies to go out and hammer the bad guys, or the good guys, depending on what your in to. It would be like a super pally.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

How would you guys start stats out? I mean, high wisdom and probably strength but then from there, more into charisma for the CoT or dex/int for feat possibilities?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Anything more than 4 fighter levels is a waste (unless your going to become an epic fighter). Use the "leftover" levels on your COT. Your fighter class is there to achieve weapon specialization. Choose either the katana or the bastard sword, either give you the highest damage possible while still using a shield.

Dex. is pointless with this character. (8) It will only give a -1 to AC and Reflex Savings throw.
Int. is important only insofar as skill points are concerned and general communication, but otherwise wortheless.(10)

You have 3 routes you can go with this character:
1. Con. Damage reduction route.
2. Char. Smite Evil
3. Str. Devistating Critical

Some people love Smite Evil, but you can only use it once per day and char. only affects the attack bonus. So I'd NOT consider this important. Char. (10)

Choosing between offensive and defensive capability is a tough one. I'd probably go the route of offensive capability because you'll have magic to enhance your defenses. Con. (12) In fact if you do this you'll need one of the domains that has stoneskin as a spell. HOWEVER, if it were me I'd use a Druid instead of Cleric for the MUCH better Premonition spell.

To go the Devistating Critical route you'll need a very high str. and continue to increase it. This means that most of your fighter levels and COT levels will be "front-loaded" with Cleric levels interspersed appropriatly to avoid exp. point pentalties. This allows you to increase your wisdom during epic levels when you'll need it for the spells.

Say Human:
str. 18 (up str. continuously to 25)
dex. 8
con. 12
int. 10
wis. 14
char. 10
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Thanks a lot but as usual with me, a lot of information makes a lot of questions for me (I'm not very smart *grin*). . .

So, that way, I wouldn't be planning to make my character primarily a cleric, correct? His wisdom on being 14 I couldn't get higher level spells until I started with epic feats to raise it. How could I modify that slightly so that cleric was the main class? I'd like to go the devastating/overwhelming critical pathway if possible. Thanks for your help
Old 11-15-2004, 04:49 PM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok, I'd start my strength around 16, same for wis. As for dex, it is kinda meaningless, if your going for plate mail armor, but I'd still take it to 10, no bonus, but no penalties either. I think I'd raise the int to 13, needed for some feats. As for the dev/overwhelming crit, I think the str will have to be built up, but you can do that as you progress. If your wanting to focus on the cleric in epic lvls, then you'll need to jack the wisdom as well, as I believe that there is a min wis required for the epic spells. I think I'd build a lvler mod, and lvl the char up to 40, and try a lot of different builds, until you find one that will do what you are wanting to do. I'm thinking that one of our esteemed members has a lvler mod in the Hall of Fame at Bioware, and I have used it to test char builds before. Give it a shot.