Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2001, 06:16 PM   #1
puzzled

I`m sure this must have been covered before, but I`m a newbie, so apologies in advance!
Is it possible to use multi-player mode in BG2 to choose your own party? I don`t want to play on the net, but I would like some say regarding my party.
I`m not really computer smart, so I would be grateful if someone could give me an idiots guide
I did have a go at it but got confused with all the import and export messages.
Also, how does it work in the game? As you`re the sole member of the party at the start, how can you pick your own team?
Forgive my ignorance, but any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
David

Old 01-12-2001, 06:20 PM   #2
Jon the Hell Caster

In multiplayer you can play by yourself,

Old 01-13-2001, 12:46 AM   #3
Tobbin
Red Dragon

The import and export options are available if you ALREADY have some characters rolled up and have them put on your hard drive(IMPORT) OR want to put one you rolled up onto your harddrive(EXPORT). You can ignore those options if you do not have any characters rolled up though, and just click on create character or roll (I'm away from game, so please bear with me a bit.) Ok, You should have a name bar on the main multi-player screen to start off. Now, I'm guessing that you have figured out that you have to click on the second bar in order to create (get - import) that character. You go through basically the same procedure (at this point) to create a character as you would if you played a single game.

After rolling the character, I would recommend that you export the character (in case of a problem loading the game). Remember this about a name for your character though, you can only have 8 characters in the name, and you shouldn't choose the same name as one that's already available. I don't know why, but when you use a name that is already there, it won't do anything (doesn't save) and will not give you an error message. When you accept this character (I believe it says done on the button of the creation screen - but not sure - it's all the way at the lower right of this screen though), you will go back to the main screen again and can continue to click on each of the six available slots in order to add more characters.

To start off, I wouldn't recommend making more than 4 characters as you do have 2 npc's to join to start off. You don't have to follow this, but you will be limiting some side quests if you don't use any NPC's. But back to the main screen, You will see some check marks to the right of the character. You need to check this in order to accept the character for play. You have to check ALL of the characters created/imported in order for the begin game option to become highlighted. Once you click on this, that's it, the game should start.

That's the shorthand of it, but if you need more, please ask. It can be kind of difficult at first, but it is truly worth it. Especially when you can internet play or more later on. Oh, and I'm also taking it for granted that you have set up your computer to use a serial connection as well (this works best).
Old 01-13-2001, 04:43 PM   #4
puzzled

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I`m still having problems. I start out with a character and export it without any problems. I can do this several times (I`ve stuck to four characters). But that`s it! I know they`ve been saved OK,but how do I get into the game with them? It`s like a circle - I keep being asked for the next character, without the option of going to the game.
Also, when I create a character-a ranger, for example-when I export him, I`m asked whether I want him to be a cleric-fighter-mage or thief!
Thanks for your interest,
David

Old 01-13-2001, 06:27 PM   #5
Eric
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, I'm gonna try to walk you through this.
First at the main screen click play, then the next screen click multiplayer, then connect, Personally tcp/ip works for me ....I have heard others say serial is best. You may have to try both.
After you set that then click create game. I put in a player name and password, then click new game.
This will take you to a screen where you can create your characters.
After creating all of them click the ckeck mark next to each one.(you do not need to create all 6 unless you want to, I choose to create 3 of my own leaving room for 3 NPC's and their different Quests, although I always seem to have 7 people that I want to use instead of just 6 so maybe creating just 2 would be better)

When you click create you can choose to import a character rather than making them.
Then click done. it will become available option when your characters are selected.

The export feature has a bar up at the top where you put a name so you know which character is which, This is hard to see at first until you know its there, You need to click the bar with the pointer than a pink cursor becomes visable, then you type in a name and export.
The fighter etc that are already listed are premade characters that are already made up for you should you choose to use them. I don't know anyone who uses them.

I hope this helps, its hard to explain it in detail from memory, If I could only show you you would see that its not that tough.

BTW once I had a bad install which didn't let multiplayer work no matter what I did.
Don't know what was wrong, but 2 days later I was recieving a new Hard Drive, when the new one was formatted and in, I installed BGI again and it worked fine that time.
You may need to uninstall/reinstall the game if after this it still doesnot work.
Good Luck
I am trying to help out best I can because I too had troubles my first time with BGI and had no one to help me and that really sucked.
Old 01-13-2001, 10:42 PM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I agree with the previous message. I think you are doing like I did with the export screen too. You have to look down at the bottom of the screen where there is an entry field for a name. Then you have to type the name in (different than anything listed above that). Then you just click on export I think, or you can press enter. If you create the character, then you will not need to import them. They should still be in the slot. You do have to accept the character though. Once you do this, it should take you back to the selection screen (showing the six characters and check marks to their right). You need to make sure that whichever characters you created have the check marks highlighted, the game will not let you start until you do this. When all of them are selected, the button at the bottom of the screen should be enabled, and this is what you click on to start the game. If what the prior post said does not help you, and what I have said here can not get you started, if you can send your e-mail to tobbin@excite.com, I can send you pictures with detailed instructions to help you out. If you have adobe reader, I can send you a PDF file if necessary.