Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #31
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Bad enough TV forces advertising crap down our throats, and radio, AND junk mail and e-mail!
How exactly do TV and radio force "crap down our throats"? Is someone sitting there forcing you to watch TV or listen to the radio? Go to the library and get a book, go outside for a walk, do a puzzle, or do any of the thousands of other things that you can do other then watch TV or listen to the radio. TV and Radio arn't forceing squat down your throat, you're making a choice to use a service, and the price you usually have to pay is that you have to deal with advertisements. For the radio at least there are 100% commercial free alternatives that you can get if you're willing to pay for it, and most areas have commercial free public TV and Radio. So if you're really bothered by it then you should do something about it, rather then compain about a service that some of us happen to enjoy regardless of advertising. [/QUOTE]Work for an advertisement firm, do we? [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #32
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I've seen some American talkshows, and it looks as if you get commercials every 5 minutes there... I really feel sorry for you. Here in Sweden we get them maybe every 15 minutes, sometimes less in popular shows like Friends. That annoys me anyway... They used to also be much louder than the shows, but now that's illegal so I don't get a shock every time there's a commercial break.

But what really ticks me off are the cinemas. If it says the film starts at 8 pm, then it should start at 8 pm, and not 8:15 pm after all the commercials... I'm okay with some trailers, in case some people are late, but I did not pay to see commercials. Going to the cinema is too expensive anyway... If I'm going to pay that much, I don't want commercials.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #33
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Try watching live coverage of the Worldseries, you'll go nuts. I wish they'd air it in delay of, let's say 10-15 minutes, that way they can let all the commercials out. I love watching baseball, but the commercials have made me fall asleep during a game more than once.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #34
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

wow how i love to hate my country
Old 01-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #35
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I never fast forward through the adverts...

I just press the menu button and skip them outright.

*Sheesh* [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #36
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

We have a great government funded national radio station around here. It's alternate so you don't have to deal with the popular crap, and it has absoloutly no ads, and it is just great. I can't deal with the other radio stations around, their breaks from constant advertistments by the occasional song, and those songs being "black pop" (r&b) and rap and horrible other things, it's our local sell out station.
We have a few good ones though, another one being one for older music, and however it does have a lot of advertising it is pretty good.

Anyway, for tv, well you get ads, that's why it is free.

but why should you be forced to watch ads? that doesn't make sense.

But are they talking about DVDs that have been rented or bought?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #37
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I can't skip or Fast Foward the ads on my DVD player, too.

No, I think it's the movies DVD that have locked the ads, not my player.

It's the same thing anyway...
Old 01-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #38
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
I never fast forward through the adverts...

I just press the menu button and skip them outright.

*Sheesh* [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Yep, that's what my wife and I do too. This "fast forward block" is being done to ALL DVD's - NOT just the ones for rent. Our first experience with this was on the copy of Shrek 2 we bought. An ad came on for a similar movie coming out this year, but when I hit the Fast Forward button, nothing happened and we were forced to watch the ads on the DVD before getting to the main movie menu.

But my wife was the one who discovered this same trick, that hitting the "Menu" button simply bypasses the ads and allows you to go straight to the movie. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I also agree that I DO have the RIGHT to SKIP the ads on any movie if I actually BUY a copy of it.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #39
Sigmar
Unicorn

*Wonders how many DVD players are being sent back to the shop they were purchased from by people demanding a refund*

"I want a refund, it's still under guarantee, and the fast foward isn't working!"
"Sir, if it's still under guarantee then I assure you thats quite impossible..."

[ 01-09-2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 01-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #40
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
Now that said, the people who FORCE ads down your throat should be taken to someplace where a different and new (much better than the original) version of "survivor" TV show goes on. These people have to endure living on an island littered with landmines, filled with all kinds of natural life threatening dangers, and if they get voted off; they get shot dead
LOL SilentThief...I hope you're never a judge or anything.

"Welcome to Hanta Virus-Ozone Hole-Land Shark Isle!"