Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-15-2004, 06:32 AM   #11
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
quote:
- more focus on culture and technology than MASS RUSH (I thought finally a game with a case for defense and technology!) Unlike the massive rushes in most RTS games, this is more about development and who has the better strategy rather than experience at mouse clicking.
I just have to chime in here. [img]tongue.gif[/img] There's usually only going to be, in any strategy game, about 6-7 decent strategies. And when the period of exploring is over, everyone's going to be using them. I'm willing to bet that most people here can't manage the sheer amount of units that will be present. Therefore, multi-tasking will be essential. Micromanaging each unit becomes pointless, as it seems like units are killed very quickly. Can you use every single ability of your heroes, switch formations in battle, apply units to their best potential, etc., while keeping up production? The one who can manage these things the best will win. And that requires experience at clicking. Not only at putting your hero at the right spot to use the ability, but also to manage many different groups of creatures.

However, what I'm starting to dislike about this game is that from what I can see of it, it seems to be a quick kill, quick production game.
[/QUOTE]Jotin first: Yes the single player is all of the Trilogy and you can play either side =)

Assassin: You are right, though don't you feel Warcraft has a few more strategies due to its complex addition of heroes and special abilities. This game will have SO much more complexity making at least a great deal of strategies feasible I think.

What I like about this game is not only its focus on experience and emotions but also on its unit management.

Each unit is 100 smaller units that act on their own, but can be overrided to do one thing. Heroes operate like Warcraft but with a Neverwinter nights interface.

I think its LARGE armies ALLOW more TIME for mouse clicking, unlike Warcraft III where everyone is half dead in 4 seconds and restricted to 20-30 units only. So every decision is critical. This one is more forgiving. Infact I would like to think this is a game where battles are won before they are fought.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #12
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Assassin: You are right, though don't you feel Warcraft has a few more strategies due to its complex addition of heroes and special abilities. This game will have SO much more complexity making at least a great deal of strategies feasible I think.

What I like about this game is not only its focus on experience and emotions but also on its unit management.

Each unit is 100 smaller units that act on their own, but can be overrided to do one thing. Heroes operate like Warcraft but with a Neverwinter nights interface.

I think its LARGE armies ALLOW more TIME for mouse clicking, unlike Warcraft III where everyone is half dead in 4 seconds and restricted to 20-30 units only. So every decision is critical. This one is more forgiving. Infact I would like to think this is a game where battles are won before they are fought.
Um... Warcraft 3 has a lot of strategies? Everyone has the exact same build order. Every has the exact same hero point distribution (I see an Archmage, I assume 1 point in Water Elemental.) . Everyone even usually has the same units (Crypt Fiends/Ghouls/Riflemen for some reason are very, very popular).

What I'm trying to get at is that in this game, once everyone's using a particular strategy (let's say a Troll rush, or a proxy Barracks Archer pump), it will boil down to who uses it best, especially in mirror matchups (mordor vs mordor, good vs good). That's where clicking comes into play.

You think Warcraft 3 isn't forgiving if you don't micro well? Try playing Starcraft. [img]tongue.gif[/img] 4 seconds is all it takes for almost your entire army to die.

Bleh. I don't mind having units die quickly. But at least give them a chance. And the way that those Trolls just squashed those swordsmen doesn't exactly give me the feeling that they're going to have a chance.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!