Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-03-2001, 02:50 PM   #21
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks Dundee, I was only about an hour into the game, I can start over and hopefully get it right this time.
Old 11-03-2001, 02:56 PM   #22
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Animal:
Thanks Dundee, I was only about an hour into the game, I can start over and hopefully get it right this time.

Don't forget to post your progress! I intend to solo a Sorcerer on Insane difficulty as well and already have a specific spell list in mind more or less. If you run into any trouble, I will try to solve it, because I have to get there too anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2001, 02:56 PM   #23
nakkinaama
Elite Waterdeep Guard

But I still replaced identify with Chromatic Orb because it kills some monsters with one hit.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:30 PM   #24
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by nakkinaama:
But I still replaced identify with Chromatic Orb because it kills some monsters with one hit.

Chromatic Orb is a good spell, but as the games goes on monsters resist or save more against it, I would rather have my barrage of magic missles, plus I like to have identify because even if you get those nifty glasses of identification, there are just TONS of items that need identified, and the glasses only work three times a day.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:33 PM   #25
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Don't forget to post your progress! I intend to solo a Sorcerer on Insane difficulty as well and already have a specific spell list in mind more or less. If you run into any trouble, I will try to solve it, because I have to get there too anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will post my progress, or any significant battles (struggles).
Old 11-03-2001, 04:39 PM   #26
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Paxsenarrion:
Hey, dude, she was tryin' to be helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In all fairness, I didn't register the distinction until you pointed it out, myself. Like, then I facepalmed and remembered reading about the difference, but people like me who back in the day had the original basic D&D Box Set (back in the days of Gary Gygax when the Wizards of the Coast were still sucking at the teat) kind of slip every once in a while with all the new fangled distinctions *giggle* We had one spellcaster, the Magic User, what were armed with only daggers, an' we played Keep on the Borderlands (that was module B2 for you old timers), and we walked uphill to school both ways and we ate dirt and we LIKED IT!!! *big grin*

Love and Kisses From The Older Than Gawd,

Pax

WHAT?!!! You had a spellcaster?!!! Back in MY day (before they had dinosaurs) our Magic-user's 'Magic Missile' was a thrown rock, and at least you GOT daggers, all we got to use were pointy sticks, and... and... and we couldn't even have dirt to eat because the worms already got to it *moan, whimper, whine*
Old 11-03-2001, 04:53 PM   #27
Kaleban
Manshoon

Here's my picks for a Sorcerer's spells (from top to bottom are priorities in each list, and this is at max level in ToB), and notes where appropriate:

1st Level
Magic Missile (good bang for the buck)
Chromatic Orb (un-saveable acid damage at 10th level, combine with Greater malison for greater effect)
Friends (Charisma boost is excellent for any encounter)
Protection from Petrification (quite a few Flesh to Stone Traps, and protects from Petrifying gazes of demons)
Free Slot (I usually pick Burning Hands for the fire damage)

2nd Level
Web (absolute excellent spell, good AoE, save penalty)
Blur (Ac and Save bonus)
Knock (imperative for un-bashable doors)
Mirror Image (good defensive spell)
Free Slot (usually Melf's Acid Arrow for spell disruption)

3rd level
Melf's Minute Meteors (excellent range weapon with +5 to hit)
Skull Trap (no damage cap, can be put to great effect popping in and out of invisibility with Staff of Magi to "round-up" bad guys)
Spell Thrust (for inevitable Wizard Duels)
Dispel Magic (an excellent general-purpose spell)
Free Slot (usually Flame Arrow, put in a Trigger and it can do MASSIVE damage)

4th level
Spider Spawn (combine with Web to make sushi out of your foes)
Stoneskin (absolute essential for the soloing sorcerer)
Greater Malison (essential for late game when saves are made frequently)
Spirit Armor (good AC bonus, but more important, a +3 to save vs. magic attacks!)
Free slot (usually Polymorph Self, Mustard jelly confers 100% magic resistance, or Secret Word if you cannot wait for Ruby Ray of Reversal)

5th level
Breach (Essential for enemies with buffing spellcasters)
Lower Resistance (needed for many late game bosses/enemies)
Animate Dead (15th level summon: Skeleton Warrior is AWESOME!)
Spell Immunity (an extremely potent and versatile spell... if used correctly)
Free Slot (usually Spell Shield for Wizard Duels, but Cloudkill is always a highly effective spell)

6th level
True Sight (this will help in SO many situations)
Tenser's Transformation (go to town with the Staff of Rynn or Magi)
Mislead (this spell is an excellent diversionary tactic)
Death Fog (persistent Death Spell, guaranteed 8 hp per round damage, and makes a good replacement for Cloudkill if you don't have it or even combined WITH Cloudkill)
Free Slot (good choices include Invisible Stalker, and any Elemental Summons)

7th level
Mordenkainen's Sword (arguably the best summon in the game)
Ruby Ray of Reversal (replaces Secret Word, hope you waited)
Summon Hakeashar (better than Nishruu, and this will basically incapacitate ANY spellcaster)
2 Free Slots (lot of room here, Finger of Death, Any Summons, Prismatic Spray are all good choices, never personally tried Sphere of Chaos but looks good on paper)

8th level
Spell Trigger (this REALLY increases your power)
Simulacrum (no Vhailor's Helm...)
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (excellent damage, no cap, and is just plain cool)
Free Slot (good choices are Symbol:Stun, Pierce Shield, Power Word:Blind)

9th level
Chain Contingency (abolutely devastating...)
Time Stop (very munchkin)
Gate (hehe...)
Free Slot (good choices are Wish and Spellstrike, Wail of the Banshee depends on a save and many monsters at the point where you acquire 9th level spells will make their saves even with Greater Malison)

This is a Summons-Heavy build, which is good for soloing. I tried to include a good number of free slots for variability, and you can obviously choose whichever spell you want out of these lists depending on your situation (i.e. get Breach and Ruby Ray if you are getting pounded by immune Spellcasters...). Comments are welcomed!

P.S. Remember, as a Sorcerer, you can still read spells from scrolls, so only pick those you KNOW you will use frequently, so a spell like Limited Wish is only useful for a few things (a specific quest, etc.), and you can usually acquire 2 to 3 scrolls during SoA.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:16 PM   #28
Kaleban
Manshoon

As a solo Sorcerer, you do not need Identify, period. After you start doing some quests, you will have so much money that you can sell the Glasses of Identification and just ID at temples and stores if you want.

Remember, playing a Sorcerer requires long-term planning, if you pick a spell you won't use, you're up the creek so to speak, as you sacrificed a lot of power by losing one spell.

You must be versatile and powerful, and while some say playing a Sorcerer is power-gaming, you really need to learn tactics and creative spell-use later on as the situations become more varied and dangerous.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:46 PM   #29
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Kaleban, thanks for the input. I like your spell list. Many many of the high level spells on your list are also on mine, it just will be a little while till I get there. I kinda see what you are saying about identify, but its first level, and I really am not too worried about that. It sure looks like you did your homework (so to speak) when you came up with your spell list!!!
Old 11-07-2001, 10:59 AM   #30
Maddancer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

U need web for the early game it makes everything easier. Get spider spawn too. U can probably figure out why thats a good idea!!!!

Dont get Identification use the glasses instead